Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Tri-stan
macrumors 6502

iMac 240 GB Aftermarket Blade SSD

Does anybody know if this drive can be put in to the iMac: 240GB Aura™ Pro 6G

This drive has 500 reads 500 writes, blows the stock blade ssd out of the water but it is designed for the mpbr will this fit? I am about to cancel my order and reorder without fusion drive.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Tri-stan
macrumors 6502

Just canceled my order, now I just need to find out if this ssd can fit. Some websites say that it is possible to use the retina mbp blade ssd but I am not sure. Whatever happens now I dont want pay fusion prices for what is a 128GB SSD, dont quote me on that exact size.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:38 AM   #3
itsamacthing
macrumors 6502

I'm considering the same... Would like to find a apple blade someone pulled...256 or 512. Or I get the 768, and install a 4tb HDD later and roll a fusion
itsamacthing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:47 AM   #4
bobcan
macrumors 6502a

Just Ask..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-stan View Post
Does anybody know if this drive can be put in to the iMac: 240GB Aura™ Pro 6G .
Well, I surely have no idea.. BUT, I do know that the OWC people are pretty darn smart, so why don't you just ask them!!??

I have bought parts form them over the past 6 years, and always found them Helpful and Knowledgeable.. a 2 minute Phone Call would yield better results than asking 'opinions' here.. Methinks..

Good Luck.. Looks like a Good Plan for a drive to me!!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:01 AM   #5
Tri-stan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcan View Post
Well, I surely have no idea.. BUT, I do know that the OWC people are pretty darn smart, so why don't you just ask them!!??

I have bought parts form them over the past 6 years, and always found them Helpful and Knowledgeable.. a 2 minute Phone Call would yield better results than asking 'opinions' here.. Methinks..

Good Luck.. Looks like a Good Plan for a drive to me!!
I been reading some post on the rip thoes iMacs open thread and there was a discussion about this particular ssd. Somebody called them and a sales rep immediately dismissed it's compatibility. Other members said it was because they were just reading the specification down off a sheet even thought it may be physically fit that card slot.

Another member had staited that they were going to buy one but there has been no more reports on that particular card. All I need to know is if the mbpr's mstata has the same card slot as the iMac's. If it is the same it is a simple plug and play procedure.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:04 AM   #6
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-stan View Post
Does anybody know if this drive can be put in to the iMac: 240GB Aura™ Pro 6G

This drive has 500 reads 500 writes, blows the stock blade ssd out of the water but it is designed for the mpbr will this fit? I am about to cancel my order and reorder without fusion drive.
I haven't been following this closely... but I thought that if you do not get the fusion drive... that the connector for the blade SSD was not even present in the iMac.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Tri-stan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
I haven't been following this closely... but I thought that if you do not get the fusion drive... that the connector for the blade SSD was not even present in the iMac.

/Jim
That is true for the lower end imacs but for the 27inch models, they have the connector, especially if it has a 675mx or 680mx gfx card.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:58 PM   #8
bobcan
macrumors 6502a

Appreciate the Info.. I hope you DO find out something positive..

Good Luck!!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:16 PM   #9
kboretti
macrumors newbie

What dis you figure out? I just called owc and they didn't offer a blade drive that fits there yet. They do offer an adaptor bracket so you can mount a regular SSD. But that's not that exiting.
kboretti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:33 PM   #10
trustever
macrumors 6502

@ kboretti when you say that OWC offers an adaptor to mount a regular SSD you mean an adaptor that will use the spare port of the blade ssd to attach a 2.5 SSD? That's a big news, wonder if in the 21.5 Imac there is enough room to fit both the adaptor and the additional SSD
trustever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Tri-stan
macrumors 6502

If you want to go for a aftermarket blade ssd you will have to go for a rMBP one. Others have been tested but they dont work. All the information is on "rip thoes macs open"

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac