Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Does anybody know if this drive can be put in to the iMac: 240GB Aura™ Pro 6G

This drive has 500 reads 500 writes, blows the stock blade ssd out of the water but it is designed for the mpbr will this fit? I am about to cancel my order and reorder without fusion drive.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Just canceled my order, now I just need to find out if this ssd can fit. Some websites say that it is possible to use the retina mbp blade ssd but I am not sure. Whatever happens now I dont want pay fusion prices for what is a 128GB SSD, dont quote me on that exact size.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
I'm considering the same... Would like to find a apple blade someone pulled...256 or 512. Or I get the 768, and install a 4tb HDD later and roll a fusion

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Just Ask..

Does anybody know if this drive can be put in to the iMac: 240GB Aura™ Pro 6G .

Well, I surely have no idea.. BUT, I do know that the OWC people are pretty darn smart, so why don't you just ask them!!?? :confused:

I have bought parts form them over the past 6 years, and always found them Helpful and Knowledgeable.. a 2 minute Phone Call would yield better results than asking 'opinions' here.. Methinks..

Good Luck.. Looks like a Good Plan for a drive to me!! :apple:

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Well, I surely have no idea.. BUT, I do know that the OWC people are pretty darn smart, so why don't you just ask them!!?? :confused:

I have bought parts form them over the past 6 years, and always found them Helpful and Knowledgeable.. a 2 minute Phone Call would yield better results than asking 'opinions' here.. Methinks..

Good Luck.. Looks like a Good Plan for a drive to me!! :apple:

I been reading some post on the rip thoes iMacs open thread and there was a discussion about this particular ssd. Somebody called them and a sales rep immediately dismissed it's compatibility. Other members said it was because they were just reading the specification down off a sheet even thought it may be physically fit that card slot.

Another member had staited that they were going to buy one but there has been no more reports on that particular card. All I need to know is if the mbpr's mstata has the same card slot as the iMac's. If it is the same it is a simple plug and play procedure.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Does anybody know if this drive can be put in to the iMac: 240GB Aura™ Pro 6G

This drive has 500 reads 500 writes, blows the stock blade ssd out of the water but it is designed for the mpbr will this fit? I am about to cancel my order and reorder without fusion drive.

I haven't been following this closely... but I thought that if you do not get the fusion drive... that the connector for the blade SSD was not even present in the iMac.

/Jim

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I haven't been following this closely... but I thought that if you do not get the fusion drive... that the connector for the blade SSD was not even present in the iMac.

/Jim

That is true for the lower end imacs but for the 27inch models, they have the connector, especially if it has a 675mx or 680mx gfx card.

kboretti

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
What dis you figure out? I just called owc and they didn't offer a blade drive that fits there yet. They do offer an adaptor bracket so you can mount a regular SSD. But that's not that exiting.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
@ kboretti when you say that OWC offers an adaptor to mount a regular SSD you mean an adaptor that will use the spare port of the blade ssd to attach a 2.5 SSD? That's a big news, wonder if in the 21.5 Imac there is enough room to fit both the adaptor and the additional SSD

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
If you want to go for a aftermarket blade ssd you will have to go for a rMBP one. Others have been tested but they dont work. All the information is on "rip thoes macs open"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.