Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:23 PM   #26
Cubano21
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1111 View Post
The main concerns with the Samsung Galaxy S3 Obex case seem to be screen sensitivity and audio/voice quality. How are those with the iPhone 5 case? Compared to the Lifeproof case and the naked device? And how's the speakerphone audio quality? And is it more a soft touch material or slippery hard plastic? Thanks!
The sensativity is just fine. Depending on what LP case you got (most likly a wavy one). The screen protector is very flush doesn't seem like there is one there. It 100 times better then the LP case when it comes to audio quality. It is very clear when speaking on the speaker phone. It comes very very close to the quality of the phone without a case. Now you do have to remember it is in an enclosed case, but to be honest you can't really tell with this case on. The material is a smooth hard palamer plastic, not cheapy feeling at all.
Cubano21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:25 PM   #27
vajeff
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1111 View Post
The main concerns with the Samsung Galaxy S3 Obex case seem to be screen sensitivity and audio/voice quality. How are those with the iPhone 5 case? Compared to the Lifeproof case and the naked device? And how's the speakerphone audio quality? And is it more a soft touch material or slippery hard plastic? Thanks!
I am one day with it so far. Talking to my wife yesterday with the case on, I asked her how I sounded. She said it was fine throughout the conversation. The LifeProof Fre (I had versions 1 - 4) always had an issue she and others complained about, my voice would come in and out. Sort of like at one minute it would be normal, then the next minute it sounded like I put the phone down and was across the room talking?

On my end it is slightly muffled when talking (compared to naked), but definitely no worse than the LifeProof. I could hear my wife just fine. Very tolerable in my opinion.

The screen protector lays flush on the screen, and no rainbow effect yet! I am pretty confident it will not show up due to design of the protector. By this point in time with all the LP cases (Fre and 4S) the effect was showing. Sensitivity is pretty good. Better than the LP in my opinion (especially since the whole protector lays flat).

Some have mentioned the little dots that keep the screen lifted just a little to prevent the rainbow effect. I can see them if the screen is off and I angle it just right. With the screen on, I do not see them at all. The screen is also more clear than the LP.

I feel the way the case seals itself when closed is better than the LP also in where the gasket is placed. Seidio is sending me a new case because one corner does not snap into place (the rest all did just fine). Even without it not snapping into place, it passed the water test (45 minutes under water). This is due (in my opinion) to the positioning of the gasket.

As for the mic on the back. Yes, it has an opening for it. It is actually below the lens/flash though. When you look at the pictures already posted, you can see the design when looking in the inside of the back cover. You will notice a "tunnel" for lack of better description. It looks as if they designed it to put the opening in a more safe place for water sealing. I imagine it would be difficult to water seal right where the mic is on the phone. They would have to place the Gortex (material I have heard is commonly used on these cases around the mics) in a space without much room to fasten it to the case in between the lens and flash opening. I think it is pretty good solution, instead of what looks like an opening on the LP case.

The biggest down sides are:
  • To open the port for lightning adapter, you open the door and then pool the seal out (two steps to get to charging). Although a pro here is that the headphone jack remains connected to the case when using headphones.
  • The silence switch is not a switch on the case like the LP. It is under a rubber plug that pulls out.

Neither of these are big deals, just a little different than what I was used to with the LP (had the 4S one and the Fre).

Overall, I am very happy with the Obex! Hands down better than the Fre in my opinion.

Knowing me, I will get the Incipio Atlas when it comes out too. Then I will decide which one I like better and either return the Atlas or sell the Obex (I am sure I will be outside Seidio's return period by this point.

Sorry for the long post...
vajeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:28 PM   #28
Hooterville
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Did anyone have problems placing their order online for the Obex iphone 5 case?
I put in the order with Fed Ex next day shipping and did not get a confirmation or anything but my Credit Card was charged right away.

I think their site is screwed up.

Guess I'll have to call them first thing Monday morning.
Hooterville is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:40 PM   #29
vajeff
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
Did anyone have problems placing their order online for the Obex iphone 5 case?
I put in the order with Fed Ex next day shipping and did not get a confirmation or anything but my Credit Card was charged right away.

I think their site is screwed up.

Guess I'll have to call them first thing Monday morning.
You may want to call. I got an Order Confirmation shortly after placing order, and then one once it shipped via FedEx.

I must say, FedEx did good getting it here. It was not supposed to be until Monday, but they got it here on Friday!
vajeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:56 PM   #30
mike1111
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeff View Post
The biggest down sides are:
  • To open the port for lightning adapter, you open the door and then pool the seal out (two steps to get to charging). Although a pro here is that the headphone jack remains connected to the case when using headphones.
  • The silence switch is not a switch on the case like the LP. It is under a rubber plug that pulls out.
The silence switch is a plug? That doesn't sound good. Is it attached to the case? Can you provide a picture of it? I use the switch quite often every day, so this might make the case impractical for me...
mike1111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:32 PM   #31
Cubano21
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeff View Post
I am one day with it so far. Talking to my wife yesterday with the case on, I asked her how I sounded. She said it was fine throughout the conversation. The LifeProof Fre (I had versions 1 - 4) always had an issue she and others complained about, my voice would come in and out. Sort of like at one minute it would be normal, then the next minute it sounded like I put the phone down and was across the room talking?

On my end it is slightly muffled when talking (compared to naked), but definitely no worse than the LifeProof. I could hear my wife just fine. Very tolerable in my opinion.

The screen protector lays flush on the screen, and no rainbow effect yet! I am pretty confident it will not show up due to design of the protector. By this point in time with all the LP cases (Fre and 4S) the effect was showing. Sensitivity is pretty good. Better than the LP in my opinion (especially since the whole protector lays flat).

Some have mentioned the little dots that keep the screen lifted just a little to prevent the rainbow effect. I can see them if the screen is off and I angle it just right. With the screen on, I do not see them at all. The screen is also more clear than the LP.

I feel the way the case seals itself when closed is better than the LP also in where the gasket is placed. Seidio is sending me a new case because one corner does not snap into place (the rest all did just fine). Even without it not snapping into place, it passed the water test (45 minutes under water). This is due (in my opinion) to the positioning of the gasket.

As for the mic on the back. Yes, it has an opening for it. It is actually below the lens/flash though. When you look at the pictures already posted, you can see the design when looking in the inside of the back cover. You will notice a "tunnel" for lack of better description. It looks as if they designed it to put the opening in a more safe place for water sealing. I imagine it would be difficult to water seal right where the mic is on the phone. They would have to place the Gortex (material I have heard is commonly used on these cases around the mics) in a space without much room to fasten it to the case in between the lens and flash opening. I think it is pretty good solution, instead of what looks like an opening on the LP case.

The biggest down sides are:
  • To open the port for lightning adapter, you open the door and then pool the seal out (two steps to get to charging). Although a pro here is that the headphone jack remains connected to the case when using headphones.
  • The silence switch is not a switch on the case like the LP. It is under a rubber plug that pulls out.

Neither of these are big deals, just a little different than what I was used to with the LP (had the 4S one and the Fre).

Overall, I am very happy with the Obex! Hands down better than the Fre in my opinion.

Knowing me, I will get the Incipio Atlas when it comes out too. Then I will decide which one I like better and either return the Atlas or sell the Obex (I am sure I will be outside Seidio's return period by this point.

Sorry for the long post...
Thanks for the post. All feedback much appreciated, it definitely helps people out.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1111 View Post
The silence switch is a plug? That doesn't sound good. Is it attached to the case? Can you provide a picture of it? I use the switch quite often every day, so this might make the case impractical for me...
Sorry I will update the pictures with a view to show this.
Cubano21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:54 PM   #32
vajeff
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubano21 View Post
It is protected but not muffled. If you look at picture 6 there is room for the mic to work. I own a diesel truck and it is loud inside and I have talked to quite a few people and they can hear me just fine, no loud noise in the background.
It stays connected to the phone when opened pretty good. It has a "pig tail" for lack of better description that keeps it attached to the case when the case is on. When the case is removed, you can remove it and replace it if ever need be. They ship extra rubber flaps/stops for the lightning port and switch.

All the rubber flaps on the phone fit tight as you would want them to. Time will tell on my opinion on the silence switch flap. Right now, it does not bother me. Once the phone is in the case (that is what actually holds the pig tail to the case), the switch piece is attached so you can not lose it.

Here are some pictures of it with the phone in the case, and then of the rubber flap by itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-26 14.24.23.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	392703   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-26 14.25.26.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	392704   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-26 14.35.35.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	392705  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-26 14.36.14.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	392706  
vajeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:19 PM   #33
Hooterville
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Does this case have a rubbery feel like the front of the Lifeproof or a straight plastic feel like the back of the LP?

Just wondering

Also any chance of the back shell of the Obex scratching the back of the iPhone with all those square plastic lines and stuff inside?
Hooterville is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:20 PM   #34
StaGro
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Can anyone make a youtube video of the installation and different aspects of this case please?
StaGro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:25 PM   #35
Hooterville
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I would like to see a video also.
Hooterville is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:35 PM   #36
StaGro
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
How do you listen with headphones? Is it a flap that can open without having to open the entire charge port and entire rubber?
I liked how LP was separate, but the sound quality and buzzing and all the case flaws do not compare to the breath of fresh air this case may be.
StaGro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:43 PM   #37
Cubano21
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
Does this case have a rubbery feel like the front of the Lifeproof or a straight plastic feel like the back of the LP?

Just wondering

Also any chance of the back shell of the Obex scratching the back of the iPhone with all those square plastic lines and stuff inside?
I would says more like the back of the lifeproof case. If you know anything about guns, it kind of feels like the exterior or a gloc or SmP pistol. I know it's hardto see but this squares don't touch the case the foams pieces in the phone keep it from touching.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaGro View Post
How do you listen with headphones? Is it a flap that can open without having to open the entire charge port and entire rubber?
I liked how LP was separate, but the sound quality and buzzing and all the case flaws do not compare to the breath of fresh air this case may be.
No you have to open the hard flap then open the rubber incerts to get to the ports, but to be honest it takes lets time to do so then to unscrew the LP screw.
Cubano21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:02 PM   #38
mike1111
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Could you post a picture of the Obex case next to the naked iPhone 5? Maybe some more side-by-side pictures with the LifeProof case (e.g. one with the Obex on top of the Lifeproof)? And what are the measurements? Couldn't find them on Seidio's product page. How's the Home Button? Looks quite small. Thanks!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajeff View Post
It stays connected to the phone when opened pretty good. It has a "pig tail" for lack of better description that keeps it attached to the case when the case is on. When the case is removed, you can remove it and replace it if ever need be. They ship extra rubber flaps/stops for the lightning port and switch.

All the rubber flaps on the phone fit tight as you would want them to. Time will tell on my opinion on the silence switch flap. Right now, it does not bother me. Once the phone is in the case (that is what actually holds the pig tail to the case), the switch piece is attached so you can not lose it.
Just to be clear: the bottom flap is removable too (same "pig tail" design)? And there are two additional flaps included (one for the switch and one for lightning/headphone)?

Strangely for the Obex case there's no description on the product page about what the package contains, no case measurements, some of the photos seem to be from a preproduction unit and the manual is for the Galaxy S3 case. Also the description only talks about "Rubber silicone stoppers keep dust and liquids out of headphone and USB ports while still allowing easy access in dry conditions", with no mention of the silence switch.

Last edited by mike1111; Jan 26, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
mike1111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:15 PM   #39
vajeff
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaGro View Post
How do you listen with headphones? Is it a flap that can open without having to open the entire charge port and entire rubber?
I liked how LP was separate, but the sound quality and buzzing and all the case flaws do not compare to the breath of fresh air this case may be.
The plastic latch on the charge port does not have to be open to use headphones. All though the charge and headphone port covers are the same piece of rubber, the plastic door/latch over the charge port only covers the part over the charger.

You can use headphones with the plastic charger cover closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-26 16.05.36.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	392721   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-26 16.05.51.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	392722   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-26 16.06.08.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	392723  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-26 16.13.27.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	392724   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-26 16.13.45.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	392725  
vajeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:18 PM   #40
vajeff
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1111 View Post

[/COLOR]
Just to be clear: the bottom flap is removable too (same "pig tail" design)? And there are two additional flaps included (one for the switch and one for lightning/headphone)?
Yes, it is of the same design with a pigtail too. One each extra in the box.
vajeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:25 PM   #41
Cubano21
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1111 View Post
Could you post a picture of the Obex case next to the naked iPhone 5? Maybe some more side-by-side pictures with the LifeProof case (e.g. one with the Obex on top of the Lifeproof)? And what are the measurements? Couldn't find them on Seidio's product page. How's the Home Button? Looks quite small. Thanks!

----------


Just to be clear: the bottom flap is removable too (same "pig tail" design)? And there are two additional flaps included (one for the switch and one for lightning/headphone)?

Strangely for the Obex case there's no description on the product page about what the package contains, no case measurements, some of the photos seem to be from a preproduction unit and the manual is for the Galaxy S3 case. Also the description only talks about "Rubber silicone stoppers keep dust and liquids out of headphone and USB ports while still allowing easy access in dry conditions", with no mention of the silence switch.
Here are some pictures next to my wife's iPhone w/o the LP case and with. Also the dimensions of the Obex case are 58.57 x 123.83 x 13.00mm, and Weight is 40g





Cubano21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:51 PM   #42
mike1111
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubano21 View Post
Here are some pictures next to my wife's iPhone w/o the LP case and with. Also the dimensions of the Obex case are 58.57 x 123.83 x 13.00mm, and Weight is 40g
Wow, that's small compared to the Lifeproof case (officially 67.1 mm x 137.5 mm x 12.2 mm or 14.1 mm at the thickest point).

I was torn because of the silence switch thing, but since there's at least an extra flap included and I just realized how much smaller the Obex case is compared to Lifeproof... originally I wanted to wait for the Incipio Atlas, but since Obex is out now and I'm dependent on a holster, I guess I have to order one now... thanks to Cubano21 and vajeff, you guys ruined my plans

Last edited by mike1111; Jan 26, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
mike1111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:14 PM   #43
Releck97
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
How accessible is the headphone jack with the case on? Do you need to use an adapter, or can you use normal plugs? Thanks!
Releck97 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:18 PM   #44
mike1111
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubano21 View Post
Here are some pictures next to my wife's iPhone w/o the LP case and with. Also the dimensions of the Obex case are 58.57 x 123.83 x 13.00mm, and Weight is 40g
On second thought, that can't be right! The official iPhone 5 dimensions are 58.6 mm x 123.8...
mike1111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:41 PM   #45
vajeff
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Releck97 View Post
How accessible is the headphone jack with the case on? Do you need to use an adapter, or can you use normal plugs? Thanks!
Bose Quite Comfort fit, not problem. A set of Sony Earbuds fit too.
vajeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:56 PM   #46
Cubano21
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1111 View Post
On second thought, that can't be right! The official iPhone 5 dimensions are 58.6 mm x 123.8...
That's what's on the obex box.
Cubano21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:31 PM   #47
puppers
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Detroit, MI
I follow this guy (subscribed to his YouTube) and buy allot of stuff based in his reviews. I been following this thread and he just uploaded a good video review and also compares to his sons OtterBox Commuter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gq6ZVNqyLE

Also at the end he plays some music to show difference in sound for those concerned.
puppers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:51 PM   #48
Hooterville
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppers View Post
I follow this guy (subscribed to his YouTube) and buy allot of stuff based in his reviews. I been following this thread and he just uploaded a good video review and also compares to his sons OtterBox Commuter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gq6ZVNqyLE

Also at the end he plays some music to show difference in sound for those concerned.
Thanks, puppers. Nice video.
Hooterville is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:23 PM   #49
maliu
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
[QUOTE=Cubano21;16730861]Here are some pictures next to my wife's iPhone w/o the LP case and with. Also the dimensions of the Obex case are 58.57 x 123.83 x 13.00mm, and Weight is 40g

Those specs cannot be correct. The iPhone itself is 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6mm
maliu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:28 PM   #50
dakota316
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri
Wow, just after seeing that video and the pictures, etc posted in this thread, I believe my Lifeproof is ready to hit the backburner. LOL Lifeproof is REALLY gonna have to step up its game to compete with Seidio, Incipio, and Otterbox because I believe they have well been overtaken.
dakota316 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seidio Obex at the Beach jkbane iPhone Accessories 0 Apr 13, 2013 11:15 AM
Experiences with seidio obex? Colev1 iPhone Accessories 1 Mar 17, 2013 02:51 PM
Seidio obex Colev1 iPhone Accessories 6 Mar 9, 2013 12:12 AM
Siedio Obex iPhone 5 Waterproof Case wmflyfisher iPhone Accessories 10 Jan 26, 2013 10:12 PM
Seidio Obex iPhone 5 shipping Jan 21!! dakota316 iPhone Accessories 1 Jan 8, 2013 07:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps