Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Brad09
macrumors newbie

iMac trackpad and keyboard going crazy

Hello all, im fairly new to macs. I have a 21.5" i5 2011 imac running mountain lion. Recently, my computer has been going through these cycles where most all trackpad gestures stop working and whenever I type it is in this random wingdings symbol looking font. Also, other things have stopped responding like the computer and display sleep sliders in the energy saver settings. they wont move if i try to drag them. Usually a few hours later it will work fine, but now it has been this way for a while. Very frustrating, and when it is in this crazy mode I can't do anything not being able to type (restarting, shutting down, etc.). Any ideas? Thanks
Brad09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:26 PM   #2
JordanJ
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to JordanJ
The only thing I can really think of is to reset the System Management Controller.

Follow Apple's support document for that http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 and select "Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve" because you have a recent 21.5" iMac.

Hope this helps. If this doesn't work you could always ask or take your iMac into an Apple Genius Bar.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help