Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:23 PM   #1
tboyd37
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to tboyd37 Send a message via Yahoo to tboyd37
a question about iphone 5 multitasking

guys,
a question out of curiosity...

just wondering how many apps will iPhone 5 let run at once.. my iPhone was running a little slow.. i started going through & closing applications through multitasking & i think over 50 apps were open..

is there a limit to how many apps iPhone 5 will run or allow to run at once.. input/thoughts are appreciated..
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:25 PM   #2
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

It will let as many run as there is memory for. You do not need to go and shut apps manually unless there is a problem.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:53 PM   #3
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

iOS multitasking isn't real multitasking. Think of it more along the lines of a recently used list. iOS will manage the apps as necessary. And apart from some apps like Skype or apps that are currently streaming something, it will freeze the process after a while so it doesn't continue using resources.
Agent-P is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:58 AM   #4
Bahroo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-P View Post
iOS multitasking isn't real multitasking. Think of it more along the lines of a recently used list. iOS will manage the apps as necessary. And apart from some apps like Skype or apps that are currently streaming something, it will freeze the process after a while so it doesn't continue using resources.
Its still great multi tasking, espcially on the i5 apps load instantly when i switch in and out of them there is no delay at all like previous iPhones due to the slower hardware
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:08 AM   #5
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
It will let as many run as there is memory for. You do not need to go and shut apps manually unless there is a problem.
Games (especially graphic-intense ones) will run better if you shut down apps.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:24 AM   #6
Bahroo
macrumors 68000

All i know is that multi tasking is superior on iPhone 5 over the Galaxy note 2 quadcore...i cant count how many times my brothers note 2 had to reload a app or refresh the app while on the i5 it remained the same...i guess it has to do with the really strong memory performance of the A6 chip
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:37 AM   #7
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
Its still great multi tasking, espcially on the i5 apps load instantly when i switch in and out of them there is no delay at all like previous iPhones due to the slower hardware
With the new processor and increased RAM, the iPhone 5 seems to handle these frozen states of the apps very nicely. And I agree it almost feels like real multitasking because of that.
Agent-P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:55 AM   #8
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Games (especially graphic-intense ones) will run better if you shut down apps.
Elaborate on how this works?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:16 AM   #9
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Elaborate on how this works?
They require a lot of power and drain battery quickly.

I noticed games loading slower and sometimes have more lag when I have other apps/games on.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:27 AM   #10
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
They require a lot of power and drain battery quickly.

I noticed games loading slower and sometimes have more lag when I have other apps/games on.
Unless it's a music app or something else that has specific tasks to run in the background, apps get frozen when you exit them. Therefore they can't use graphics power, CPU power or drain the battery or take up RAM.

Quote:
All those apps in the multitasking bar on your iOS device are currently active and slowing it down, filling the device's memory or using up your battery. To maximise performance and battery life, you should kill them all manually.

This is wrong, as iOS manages your iPhone's processing and RAM to maximise performance and battery life. When you press the home button to exit an app, the app is generally 'put to sleep' in much the same way that you put your computer to sleep. The app is still in the RAM (so that you can go back to it without having to fully start it) however it's not using any processing power, and therefore is not wasting any battery life. If your iPhone needs the RAM that that app is taking up, it kills it automatically. For more information about this, visit this page.
[source]
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:37 AM   #11
Bahroo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-P View Post
With the new processor and increased RAM, the iPhone 5 seems to handle these frozen states of the apps very nicely. And I agree it almost feels like real multitasking because of that.
Exactly
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:30 AM   #12
acorntoy
macrumors 6502

IOS manages the RAM and kills apps if RAM is needed ( like in a graphic intensive game ) and from what I've noticed the OS multitasking like that can cause the game/is to stutter/lag for a second until the processes of freeing the RAM and killing frozen apps is done.

Last edited by acorntoy; Jan 26, 2013 at 03:37 AM.
acorntoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:45 AM   #13
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel87 View Post
Apple is no longer #1 read the full story via http://iJailbreakphone.com
What does this have to with the subject at all?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:46 AM   #14
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
What does this have to with the subject at all?
Probably spamming his website.
mrsir2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone