Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splatterific

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I got a 2012 i5 27" iMac. My first Mac. Had my last pc for 12 years. I know I was way overdue gotta say besides windows issues and reinstalls never had a single hardware problem. Was excited to get a Mac and info love it. Not as hard a switch as I thought but, after 10 months it started having issues. It started shutting down and not restarting followed by 3 beeps. Went to the Genius Bar and turns out to have been the ram. Had the own ram(2x2) and I added some pny(2x4) turns out it was the own ram that croaked. I was shocked. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just that own ram is low grade or something? What would cause this? I don't wanna have this happen in the same time frame if there is something I could do to avoid a repeat?

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
RAM sometimes does. All hard drives will eventually fail. Displays will eventually degrade over time. I do not think your experience with some RAM that passed initial burn in tests but failed 10 months later is indicative of any systemic problem with Apple products. Stuff happens...

splatterific

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I wasn't thinking it was apples fault. I own 1 if everything they make. Lol. There parts(ram) are supplied by all the same manufacturers. Will one bad ram module infiltrate another module? I got time machine running in an external I think I'm safe as far as data. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.