Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Oct 6, 2005, 03:42 PM   #1
Bote
macrumors regular

Photoshop Elements 4.0 for window only???

I just got an email from Adobe asking me to upgrade my version of Photoshop Elements 2.0 to version 4.0 I read further and it seems to be only offered for the windows platform. The highest version for the Mac is 3.0 Whats up with that???
Bote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 04:09 PM   #2
p0intblank
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bote
I just got an email from Adobe asking me to upgrade my version of Photoshop Elements 2.0 to version 4.0 I read further and it seems to be only offered for the windows platform. The highest version for the Mac is 3.0 Whats up with that???
I believe Adobe is releasing the Windows version first, followed by a Mac version a little later. Why they are going with Windows first... no clue. Afterall, the Mac is THE system for graphic design.

Why, Adobe? Why???
The #1 source for accessories compatible with Apple's new Mac Pro
Have a suggestion? Contact me here!
p0intblank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 04:14 PM   #3
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0intblank
I believe Adobe is releasing the Windows version first, followed by a Mac version a little later. Why they are going with Windows first... no clue. Afterall, the Mac is THE system for graphic design.

Why, Adobe? Why???
They're doing that because consumers don't necessarily use Macs and professionals don't likely use Elements.
bousozoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 04:17 PM   #4
p0intblank
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousozoku
They're doing that because consumers don't necessarily use Macs and professionals don't likely use Elements.
That's a good point. I failed to think about the "Elements" part of it. Afterall, that version is for the less-educated when it comes to graphic design (that isn't meant to sound rude ) And what's this about Adobe considering dropping Mac support? I heard it in a recent Podcast. I think it was during TWiT. This better not be true... I would probably cry.

Oh and on another note: more consumers should use the Mac.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 04:48 PM   #5
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0intblank
That's a good point. I failed to think about the "Elements" part of it. Afterall, that version is for the less-educated when it comes to graphic design (that isn't meant to sound rude ) And what's this about Adobe considering dropping Mac support? I heard it in a recent Podcast. I think it was during TWiT. This better not be true... I would probably cry.

Oh and on another note: more consumers should use the Mac.
Adobe have said that they will develop version 4.0 for Mac but that they've no timetable at the moment. Remember that iPhoto competes in a small way with Elements and in a larger way with Album, which obviously isn't being developed. iMovie makes it difficult to sell Premiere Elements.

Adobe had no interest in the market, so Apple did something. Since Apple did something, Adobe has reduced interest in the Mac market.

A bit off-topic but did anyone else notice that Corel introduced Painter Essentials, which is pretty much exactly what Fractal Design Dabbler used to be? It certainly complements Photoshop Elements.
bousozoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 08:09 PM   #6
Bote
macrumors regular

Quote:
Adobe have said that they will develop version 4.0 for Mac but that they've no timetable at the moment. Remember that iPhoto competes in a small way with Elements and in a larger way with Album, which obviously isn't being developed. iMovie makes it difficult to sell Premiere Elements.

Adobe had no interest in the market, so Apple did something. Since Apple did something, Adobe has reduced interest in the Mac market.

A bit off-topic but did anyone else notice that Corel introduced Painter Essentials, which is pretty much exactly what Fractal Design Dabbler used to be? It certainly complements Photoshop Elements.
You do have a point, professions would obviously use the full photoshop and not elements. It bums me out however since I love what I am able to do with elements as a dabbler in photography, but don't have the money or time to move up to the real photoshop. Oh well, I really am new to mac and was confused when elements 4 was shown just for windows. Hopefully this is not a trend. As a side note I really hate iPhoto, but can totally see where iMove makes it premire elements a very hard sell. Just my 2cents
Old Oct 6, 2005, 08:55 PM   #7
solvs
macrumors 601

Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 for Mac in development

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/09...ents/index.php
Old Oct 6, 2005, 09:52 PM   #8
Bote
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by solvs

Awsome link. Thanks...
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:20 PM   #9
p0intblank
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by solvs
Ah, thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 12:17 AM   #10
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Yep, that's up to version 3 now. For some reason it kept the procreate name long after Corel changed things. It gets very little attention since most of the time it's given away in bundles.
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics