Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:47 AM   #1
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

New Apple TV

Does anyone think Apple will release an actual tv this year as some analysts predict.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:19 AM   #2
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Does anyone think Apple will release an actual tv this year as some analysts predict.
I would say no, every year for the past few years it seems they have said this is the year of Apple releasing an actual tv, but it never happens. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but I'm not holding my breath. Apple does need some new products though as their stock is taking a beating as it appears their current product line might be getting a bit stale.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:04 PM   #3
kiranmk2
macrumors 6502

To be honest the only reason to release a new one this year would be if it needed the dual core A5 to run apps, add 3D movie support or 24p support comes along. As it is the current model is capable of decoding all 1080p thrown at it and the A5 is still used in many shipping products (iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPod touch, iPad mini) so no issue of supply.

A release next year would allow h.265 decoding hardware to be included so Apple could squeeze even more quality out of the bitrate. At this point nothing would surprise me but I'd much prefer to see a decent software update.
kiranmk2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranmk2 View Post
To be honest the only reason to release a new one this year would be if it needed the dual core A5 to run apps, add 3D movie support or 24p support comes along. As it is the current model is capable of decoding all 1080p thrown at it and the A5 is still used in many shipping products (iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPod touch, iPad mini) so no issue of supply.

A release next year would allow h.265 decoding hardware to be included so Apple could squeeze even more quality out of the bitrate. At this point nothing would surprise me but I'd much prefer to see a decent software update.
Many people argue they don't have anything else to release in March now that they seem to have moved their entire product range to summer & fall releases.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:19 PM   #5
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Many people argue they don't have anything else to release in March now that they seem to have moved their entire product range to summer & fall releases.
Apple is good at releasing things you never thought you wanted

They'll find something don't worry
Che Castro is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater