Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:06 PM   #1
bonskovsky
Banned

What's the advantage of releasing a new phone every couple months?

Why don't they just do like Sony with the Playstation 3, release one that will work for years. Release for the future, not for the current?

I mean with all the back orders and weeks of waiting, by the time people actually receive their Apple products, the new one will have already come out.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:15 PM   #2
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Why don't they just do like Sony with the Playstation 3, release one that will work for years. Release for the future, not for the current?

I mean with all the back orders and weeks of waiting, by the time people actually receive their Apple products, the new one will have already come out.
Because the price for systems and games are far more than that of phones. Also, Xbox and playstation still compete with PC specs and upgrade ability.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:15 PM   #3
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post

Because gaming consoles and smartphones are two entirely different businesses.

Gaming consoles like the Playstation does not bring in the money through the sales of the console but from the licensed games and hardware accessories. They actually lose money for each console sold when it first comes out.

Whereas the iPhone, the main revenue is from the sale of the hardware. Hence, frequent updates equals to larger revenues. Apple barely makes any money from iTunes.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

This is an iphone forum, Apple doesn't release a new iphone every couple of months. What dickens are u talking about?

Plus YOU let yourself to be sucked in to the hypes and, OMG a new phone, I MUST get it! No you don't.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone