Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:26 PM   #1
aaronvan
macrumors 6502

Using an older Mini as a server

I have an older Mac Mini (Macmini1,1 1GB RAM) running OS X 10.6.8 that I would like to set up as a small hobby server, just running a single web site.

Should I run Apache with the current system? Is it possible to get Snow Leopard Server from an after market provider? Obviously, I can't run anything higher. Any ideas are appreciated.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

You don't need Snow Leopard Server to be able to host a webpage. The version you have installed on there now is able to do that. Use these steps to set it up: http://www.hostmyapple.com/whmcs/kno...ayarticle&id=2
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:31 PM   #3
costabunny
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
I would just put a MAMP package on it - Apache, PHP and MySQL.

no need for OS X Server at all for simple webserver.

I assume its for internal use and not for serving up to the public.

Apache on the mac is simple (you can if you want just use the default one that is activated in the sharing settings section), but its half the fun to set it up yourself and learn at least the basics of configuration.

I would think that 1GB Ram should be ok with simple website serving. much more and it may want another meg,

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:07 PM   #4
aaronvan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by costabunny View Post
I would just put a MAMP package on it - Apache, PHP and MySQL.

I assume its for internal use and not for serving up to the public.

Apache on the mac is simple (you can if you want just use the default one that is activated in the sharing settings section), but its half the fun to set it up yourself and learn at least the basics of configuration.

I would think that 1GB Ram should be ok with simple website serving. much more and it may want another meg,
It will be a public web site although I don't expect much traffic. I'm basically doing it for my own edification. MAMP looks like a good solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
You don't need Snow Leopard Server to be able to host a webpage. The version you have installed on there now is able to do that. Use these steps to set it up: http://www.hostmyapple.com/whmcs/kno...ayarticle&id=2
Intell, thanks for the link, too.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking