Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

So I decided to put my old Quicksilver G4 to good use and set it up as a syncing machine for my old 20GB iPod With Click Wheel. The only problem is it will not show up in iTunes. I managed to fine iTunes 6.0.5 online, the last version with Jaguar support and although the iPod mounts as a hard drive on the desktop it simply doesn't show up or even open iTunes.

It mounts perfectly fine on my 21.5'' iMac and I have tried switch it between "disk use disabled and enabled" to no avail. I also checked compatibility of the iPod and it supports anything higher than Mac OS X 10.1 Puma, so even an OS as old as Jaguar shouldn't be the issue. I've tried the two USB's on my Studio display as well as the two USB's on the back of the G4 tower and it still does the same thing, I'm so confused.

I'm pretty good when it comes to Mac's, but this has me stumped.

Another useful feature of the G4 is that is also the only Mac in my house what can run my Universities email exchange system. For whatever reason Outlook 2011:Mac and Entourage 2008 do not work on my new iMac, but the 2004 edition connects fine to my Universities exchange LOL, of course this is on PowerPC, so it has its uses still.

Help much appreciated.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Maybe a dumb question, but is the iPod driver installed?

I ask because Apple was constantly issuing iPod updates around the time of Jaguar and Panther.

Other than that I have no idea.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Hey guys,

So I decided to put my old Quicksilver G4 to good use and set it up as a syncing machine for my old 20GB iPod With Click Wheel. The only problem is it will not show up in iTunes. I managed to fine iTunes 6.0.5 online, the last version with Jaguar support and although the iPod mounts as a hard drive on the desktop it simply doesn't show up or even open iTunes.

It mounts perfectly fine on my 21.5'' iMac and I have tried switch it between "disk use disabled and enabled" to no avail. I also checked compatibility of the iPod and it supports anything higher than Mac OS X 10.1 Puma, so even an OS as old as Jaguar shouldn't be the issue. I've tried the two USB's on my Studio display as well as the two USB's on the back of the G4 tower and it still does the same thing, I'm so confused.

I'm pretty good when it comes to Mac's, but this has me stumped.

Another useful feature of the G4 is that is also the only Mac in my house what can run my Universities email exchange system. For whatever reason Outlook 2011: Mac and MS Entourage 2008 do not work on my new iMac, but the 2004 edition does LOL, of course this is PowerPC, so it has its uses still.

Help much appreciated.

Only MS 2011 will work with new Macs.

Previous poster is correct, you need either the original iPod install CD with drivers or to find the drivers online somewhere for 10.2

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Only MS 2011 will work with new Macs.

Previous poster is correct, you need either the original iPod install CD with drivers or to find the drivers online somewhere for 10.2

thats why I said my "new iMac" and outlook 2011 does not support the older exchange system what my uni uses for its email server only entourage 2004 does. With this being a powerPC application and no support for Rosetta in 10.8, the G4 comes in useful for checking email without using an annoying browser application on the iMac.

In the end i just updated it to Tiger, and iPod problem solved. it was impossible to find a 10.2.8 iPod driver. I was trying to avoid Tiger though because its just a bit too slow on the G4, but meh it'll do.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.