Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

iPad 4 for going abroad

How good is iPad 4 for taking abroad as well as on train journeys etc?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:26 PM   #2
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Very good ...

Just make sure you can recharge when abroad; else it's a nice companion for short and long journeys.

The question is a bit generic; any more details to share ?
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
Very good ...

Just make sure you can recharge when abroad; else it's a nice companion for short and long journeys.

The question is a bit generic; any more details to share ?
Thanks. I'm having trouble deciding whether to get the 4 or the mini. I won't be using it at home much. More for when away from home.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Tsepz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Thanks. I'm having trouble deciding whether to get the 4 or the mini. I won't be using it at home much. More for when away from home.
You will love the iPad4's huge Retina Display then for when you are way from home, it makes watching high quality movies, reading books, magazines and newspaper an absolute pleasure. it also possesses what is currently the most powerful Graphics chip found in a mobile device so gaming is also well catered for, all in all the best all round tablet I would say.
Tsepz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:37 PM   #5
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
If you are to limited in space I would say go with iPad 4.

Watch out with GPS if you would need. The Wifi only device don't have GPS build in; so if that is required you would need an iPad with 3G or LTE.

And believe me, you will use your iPad a home. So much more convenient to carry around.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
If you are to limited in space I would say go with iPad 4.

Watch out with GPS if you would need. The Wifi only device don't have GPS build in; so if that is required you would need an iPad with 3G or LTE.

And believe me, you will use your iPad a home. So much more convenient to carry around.
Really? Most laptops are more powerful than an iPad so I would have thought people would use the ipad less at home unless its for reading or light web browsing.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:36 PM   #7
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Really? Most laptops are more powerful than an iPad so I would have thought people would use the ipad less at home unless its for reading or light web browsing.
Reading, email, web, twitter, FB ... I would say 70% to 80% of home dektop/laptop owner could survive with iPad only. Enough power for the tasks.

My wife use my "old" MBP mainly for Safari and Twitter. iPad next time for her.
Myself too: most email send from iPad, most surfing too. Photo post processing, FCP, blender, Xcode, iWorks remain on the Macs.

It depend on your use case, all I want to say an iPad in house will not be idle.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:28 PM   #8
MusicEnthusiast
macrumors 6502

I took my recently-bought iPad 4 abroad to Japan for the holidays.

My experience was so-so. I have the WiFi only version, so that severely limited how I was able to use it on the go. WiFi in Japan is quite hard to find, but in offline mode, I got to game and jam out to tunes on the long train rides. Ended up passing through 100 levels on Unblock Me and can beat the advanced difficulty on Cribbage Pro most of the time. lol

But in all honesty, depending on where you go, I'd say either iPad would do you well. My iPad 4 didn't feel clunky or too large at all. It was very lightweight in my backpack. The Mini would just take portability to the next level.

I don't have much to say about LTE models, because I don't use a data plan for anything else other than my prepaid phone. Good luck with your purchase!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad