Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Oct 4, 2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

does the iPhone have a better Wifi Antenna than iPad?

Ok so this is really strange, and I don't know if it's the result of upgrading my 3rd gen iPad to iOS 6 (and keeping my iPhone 4S on iOS5). I am staying in a hotel, and I have been noticing consistently that the iPad is unable to pick a signal, while iPhone picks it in 2 seconds. Once it picks it it is fine, but once I set it to stand by, it loses signal.

I understand -thanks to Amazon- that laptops have better wifi antennas, but does the iPad wifi antenna suck so much that even a tiny iPhone has a better chance of picking a signal? or is it an iOS 6 side-effect?
Tiger8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:45 AM   #2
plympton
macrumors newbie

Yes it is true I believe. My iPad can't connect at the moment but I'm tapping this away on my 4s. Bummer. With all that space you'd figure otherwise!
plympton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by plympton View Post
Yes it is true I believe. My iPad can't connect at the moment but I'm tapping this away on my 4s. Bummer. With all that space you'd figure otherwise!
No. You'd figure exactly as the OP observes.

iPad is full metal shielded rear, can only transmit WIFI through the front glass.

The 4/4S/5 has RF transparent glass panels front and back. RF signals can propagate in/out from wider angles..
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:12 PM   #4
davyvfr
macrumors regular

I noticed this too with my iPad 3 16GB Wifi and iPhone 5. With a 100 Mb/s connection, my iPhone gets around 60-80. My iPad will get 40mbps. Its reception is horrible and I am wondering if I should take it in this March since my warranty will be up soon. Does anyone have a defective Wifi iPad?
davyvfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Batavian
macrumors 6502

The wifi antenna is located behind the speaker. You can test this by putting your hand/palm over the speaker grate and see the number of wifi bars drop.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:25 PM   #6
davyvfr
macrumors regular

Yep, its known as the "death grip". But the real question is, is why does the iPad get 1/2 the network connection speed as the iPhone 5. Surely, there has to be a different Wifi chip between the two. Multiple SpeedTest on the same server confirm the iPad is slower than the iPhone.
davyvfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad