Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LastMinuteMike

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
(Originally posted on The Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/26/3...7-iphone-how-much-bigger-would-it-be-mock-ups)

So there's been some rumors lately that Apple might be working on a 4.75" iPhone. Now, whether or not that's true is irrelevant. I just thought that we'd do the math to see how much bigger such an iPhone would be, a lot of people are saying that a bigger iPhone would impede one-handed use. Let's see shall we?

The iPhone 5 clocks in at a width of 58.57mm, and a height of 123.83mm (the whole body, that is). For the purpose of this exercise we're going to assume that if Apple were to increase the screen size they would again increase it by one "icon row" just like the iPhone 5, while maintaining the aspect ratio. An "icon row" equates to 176px (1136 - 960 = 176), so we would now end up with a height of 1312px. To maintain the (almost) 16:9 ratio of the iPhone 5 the horizontal pixel count would have to increase by 98px to 738px in total.

The iPhone would now have a true 16:9 resolution at 1312x738, and the extra pixels will allow another horizontal icon row, but will a vertical one fit? I'll let you be the judge, take a look at this mock-up I made:

4gttrgwgrunb.png

Eagle-eyed readers may notice something; the mock-up is actually 740px wide. Why? Well take a look at the horizontal space between the icons. Looks a bit tight, right? Those two extra pixels are simply there to allow for some extra breathing room, it's not much of a difference, but still. On the iPhone 5 the icons are spaced out like this:

⎢34px ⎢ICON⎢38px⎢ICON ⎢40px ⎢ICON ⎢38px ⎢ICON ⎢34px ⎢

With the new resolution, icons would have to fit in a much more cramped space:

⎢28px ⎢ICON ⎢28px ⎢ICON ⎢29px ⎢ICON ⎢29px ⎢ICON ⎢28px ⎢ICON ⎢28px ⎢

To keep the current icon padding, the screen would have to be 790px wide. This would give us an aspect ratio of approximately 15:9.

But for now let's focus on the 1312x738 resolution, how big would this screen be? The new screen width would be 59.61mm, and the height would be 104.39mm. Thanks to Pythagoras we can calculate the diagonal size to: 59.61 ² + 104.39 ² = C ² √C = 120.21mm. This translates to 4.73 inches, just two points shy of the 4.75" rumors.

So how big would the iPhone's body become? Would it still be pocketable and easy to use? The current iPhone has a bezel of 3,43mm on each side. Sharp, the creator of the IGZO screen tech, says devices with bezels as thin as 1.7mm will be possible using IGZO. Assuming the new iPhone would use this tech, the width would end up at 63.01mm, 4.44mm more than the iPhone 5. Height-wise the increase would be much greater, however if you take a look at all the Android phones out there you'll notice their top and bottom bezels are all a lot smaller. I believe Apple can decrease the top and bottom bezel by AT LEAST 12.42mm. This would give the iPhone a new height of 125.41mm, a barely noticeable 1.58mm more than the iPhone 5.

So there you have the "facts", a 4.7" iPhone would potentially have a 1312x738 resolution, a 4.44mm increase in width, and a 1.58mm (take this with a grain of salt) increase in height.

Personally I would love it if Apple offered a bigger iPhone model next to the 4" one, perhaps not a 4.7" but 4.3" - 4.5" perhaps. Offering an additional model would do no harm to us customers, it just means we have one more choice. If you like being able to use the iPhone with one hand - get the 4"! If you enjoy a bigger experience, get the bigger one - everybody wins!

What are your thoughts on a bigger iPhone? Feel free to drop a comment here or on The Verge!

Update: Additional mock-up with four columns.

4.8'-iPhone-4-Icon.png

Last edited:

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
The iPhone 5+ will either have more resolution than the iPhone 5 and be a teir above the existing model or be the same resolution and be a cheaper and lower end model. You didn't consider the second option.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I could see this as being plausible. Especially since Apple made the bezels (well, the side ones) narrower on the iPad mini, so it isn't a stretch to believe they would make them narrower on an iPhone to allow for a lessee increase on device dimensions with a bigger screen.

However IMO, I don't think we'll see the bigger iPhone this year. But it would be nice if Apple decided to do that.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
I wouldn't mind a larger iPhone, but it would have to be drastically different from the huge android phones. Maybe 4.2 inch. But it would have to retain the metal and not feel as plasticy as the GSIII does to me.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
i don't think apple will increase the screen size for 5S.. that would be a diss for iphone 5 screen and it wouldn't be cost efficient. then again, apple have so much money to play with.

more likely scenario with your mock up is for iphone 6.

bradkb

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
Who cares? I have a phone that I like and enjoy using, and I know tomorrow and every day after there will be a new piece of tech by one manufacturer or another.

It at the end of my contract there is a newer and better (which there will be) and I have a chance to upgrade, I may , or I may just stick with what I have if it still does what I want.

LastMinuteMike

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Who cares? I have a phone that I like and enjoy using, and I know tomorrow and every day after there will be a new piece of tech by one manufacturer or another.

It at the end of my contract there is a newer and better (which there will be) and I have a chance to upgrade, I may , or I may just stick with what I have if it still does what I want.

This comment feels so out of place that I don't know what to say... You sure this ended up in the right thread?

Last edited by a moderator:

HimOffTheTelly

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
I have a Galaxy Note, and although I personally think it's an utterly sweet piece of kit it actually is almost impossible to use securely with one hand. Such awkwardness in the end user experience leads me to think that if Apple still actually care for the purity of user experience they would never set further down this road to giant phones or "phablets". Even though most flagship Android lines will top out at 5" and upwards this year; I think the iPhone is as big as it will ever get, and for what I remember of the iPhone experience maybe that is for the best. As much as I love what the Note and its many emerging contemporary rivals are all about I do sometimes miss the utter pocketability and instant accessibility of the iPhone, and I'd hate to see the strength of the brand diluted by any misguided attempt to turn it into something it is not.

Willdr1991

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
I have a Galaxy Note, and although I personally think it's an utterly sweet piece of kit it actually is almost impossible to use securely with one hand. Such awkwardness in the end user experience leads me to think that if Apple still actually care for the purity of user experience they would never set further down this road to giant phones or "phablets". Even though most flagship Android lines will top out at 5" and upwards this year; I think the iPhone is as big as it will ever get, and for what I remember of the iPhone experience maybe that is for the best. As much as I love what the Note and its many emerging contemporary rivals are all about I do sometimes miss the utter pocketability and instant accessibility of the iPhone, and I'd hate to see the strength of the brand diluted by any misguided attempt to turn it into something it is not.

I can see your logic when compared to a Galaxy Note, but i own a Galaxy s3. I can use my S3 one handed, and would love for the iphone to get a bigger screen. No i do not mean Galaxy note territory. I like the Notes but i feel that it would be too big for me personally. But perhaps 4.5-5 inch to me that is a comfortable screen size. Now apple cant ignore all their customers, while there are millions of their customers that prefer a 3.5-4 inch display, there are just as many or maybe more millions who prefer and desire a bigger screen iphone from apple. 4 inches is not enough it is still tiny and the width needs to grow too. im not talking a humongous screen here. There are many people who are ignorant and just dont care what other people may want just because their fine with their choice. For all these people who start mentioning tablets when GS3's and other android competitor phones are spoken of should seriously cut their bullcrap. These phones are nowhere near tablets and unless you wear some micro-pocket or iphone-only pocketed pants/jeans they fit fine into your pockets. These types of people are trolls and like to exxagerate things to make the other bigger screened phones look inferior to their choice. If apple releases a bigger sized iPhone, THEY WILL double their profits as well as secure sales from people who are currently on android just because they prefer a bigger screen. Which are MILLIONS OF POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS JUST WAITING FOR APPLE TO RELEASE A GODDAMN BIGGER SCREENED PHONE. It seems as if apple is playing it safe and hoping that their argument of one size fits all and perfect one handed use 4 inch screen isn't invalidated by their own actions. They can at least release 2 versions of iphone one 4 inch and a 4.5-5 inch one. for gods sake.

----------

I dont understand why so many apple users are so afraid of embracing bigger screens. I bet that a good 90 percent of iPhone users havent even tried a bigger screened phone for at least a week or more. i know very well that 99% of you iPhone people use two hands when typing or using your iphone anyway so i dont see whats the point in your arguments of one-handed use.:rolleyes:

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
how big would this screen be? The new screen width would be 59.61mm, and the height would be 104.39mm. Thanks to Pythagoras we can calculate the diagonal size to: 59.61 ² + 104.39 ² = C ² √C = 120.21mm. This translates to 4.73 inches, just two points shy of the 4.75" rumors.
√(1312² + 740²) / 326 ~= 4.62" (117.4 mm)
1312 px @ 326 ppi ~= 102.2 mm
740 px @ 326 ppi ~= 57.7 mm

[...] devices with bezels as thin as 1.7mm will be possible using IGZO. [...] the width would end up at 63.01mm, 4.44mm more than the iPhone 5.
With the right measures of your screen, if you don't forget the case and antennas, you're rather at minimum 65 mm with 1.7 mm lateral bezels.

This would rather be 1280x720 @ 326 ppi (4.5") if they go larger. Who cares the extra row or column of icons, just add more space between or reinvent the grid of icon.

Last edited:

RAPTORSKI

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
British Columbia
In order to preserve commonality with Ipad lineup of products, Apple will likely just increase the space between the icons instead of adding another row or column. Why ruin this great commonality?

4 x 6 icon ratio per page is fine for me anyway, plus with the extra space you'd be able to see the wallpaper better instead of having a cluttered screen of icons.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
It's common sense that Apple won't bother with a larger screen unless it's substantially different. That rules out anything under 4.7".

My guess is that it would be somewhere between 4.7"- 5".

I wish they'd also release a 5.5" iPhone but I seriously doubt they will.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
This would rather be 1280x720 @ 326 ppi (4.5") if they go larger. Who cares the extra row or column of icons, just add more space between or reinvent the grid of icon.

I would also like a 720p screen. It would fit with the 16:9 aspect ratio better.

In order to preserve commonality with Ipad lineup of products, Apple will likely just increase the space between the icons instead of adding another row or column.

I would prefer that too. IMO it looks a little cramped with the current layout.

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
I'm thinking the 5S will be a spec bump from the 5, but same screen and design. Now, the 6 will have a 4.5-4.7 inch screen with a 1080p screen or close to that (like the i5's Retina is close to 720p but not quite 720p). All of these new phones are coming out with full HD displays, I can't see Apple missing out on this.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Had the Galaxy S3 and loved the screen. Definitely not too large. Apple would sell quadbillions of them. Let's go Apple. By the way, we need to start digging foxholes, since when the Galaxy S4 comes out, we are going to get hammered. I came back to the IP5 and love it.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Does anyone really care if we can fit another row of Apps in??? I think that more people want a larger screen for better reading and game playing.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
They better do something with iOS7 because that would be one big wall of icons.

That's my hope too. As I posted in another thread somewhere on here, I'm pretty content with the small hardware updates the iPhone has been getting. I don't need the highest end possible hardware out there. Just something that is future proofed for a couple of models (because I don't like keeping a device longer than that anyway). For me the bigger concern is iOS. I want iOS 7 to do something to really wow me and convince me to come back to the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.