Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LunchMoney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
I'm trying to buy a 2011 27" from my former employer. I set the computer up
when it was brand new and left on really good terms and have offered to buy this machine but I'm not sure if they are going to sell. I've been looking around and would consider buying another older model but my real question is do all the silver iMacs have the intel chip and are capable of running mountain and supporting the Magic Mouse? ie. will a 2008 iMac support the Magic Mouse?

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
my iMac g5 can use the magic mouse.
All the functions though? No.

All silver iMacs can and I believe the last white iMac can
Not 100% sure though.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
All silver iMacs and none of the older plastic ones can run 10.8. If you upgrade to 10.6 or higher, the Magic Mouse will work 100% with the system. But on 10.5.8, it will only partially work as a simple mouse. I don't think 10.4.X supports it at all.

LunchMoney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Thank you for all the replies. I was under the impression that the silver iMacs all have the intel chip and the white iMacs have Motorola chips which prevent them from ungraded to mountain lion. I currently have a mini and a g4 & a g5 but want to get rid of the g4 & g5. I had planned on buying a new iMac but with the redesign and limited availability I'm considering an older machine.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Thank you for all the replies. I was under the impression that the silver iMacs all have the intel chip and the white iMacs have Motorola chips which prevent them from ungraded to mountain lion. I currently have a mini and a g4 & a g5 but want to get rid of the g4 & g5. I had planned on buying a new iMac but with the redesign and limited availability I'm considering an older machine.

There is a white iMac model that has Intell chips. They're the 2006 models. From the front, they look just like a G5 iMac, it's from the back you can tell which is which. The Intell iMac have their ports going horizontally, but the G5's have vertical ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.