Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:45 PM   #1
docprego
macrumors 6502a

Problem with Radio Shack Pointmobl glass screen protector for iPhone 5

Installed this last night and was thrilled with it. Went out today with my phone inside its leather pouch like always. Took it out to use it for the first time and saw what looks like an amoeba shaped area in the center of the protector:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1359254513.736899.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	392769

Not pleased and the only way to make it disappear is to unseat a corner and then press the protector back down. Even after doing this the amoeba always returns.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:25 PM   #2
AFDoc
In Time-Out

Your best bet is to contact the company that makes the product instead of a bunch of random people on a forum.

I do not believe you can do anything to get it to fix the issue. You may be able to remove it, clean the back with some water and re-apply but I would simply contact the company and see if you can get it replaced. I had a similar issue with my Glass T and the first thing I did was contacted the company as no one here MR would of been able to fix my situation.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:32 PM   #3
docprego
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Your best bet is to contact the company that makes the product instead of a bunch of random people on a forum.

I do not believe you can do anything to get it to fix the issue. You may be able to remove it, clean the back with some water and re-apply but I would simply contact the company and see if you can get it replaced. I had a similar issue with my Glass T and the first thing I did was contacted the company as no one here MR would of been able to fix my situation.
Does the GlasT fully adhere to the iPhone's screen? This one adheres only along the periphery in the black areas. I can't imagine a company would release a product with such a significant flaw but the center of the screen on this protector does not have adhesive.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:14 AM   #4
vivacqua21
macrumors newbie

bumper

hey i have the same protector on my phone. only been 2 days but its awesome. how long until yours did this? and im wondering if your bumper case is putting pressure on it and making it do that...??

good luck

freddy
vivacqua21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:38 PM   #5
docprego
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivacqua21 View Post
hey i have the same protector on my phone. only been 2 days but its awesome. how long until yours did this? and im wondering if your bumper case is putting pressure on it and making it do that...??

good luck

freddy
Mine looked fine when I installed it. The next morning I took it with me and about an hour later I noticed the anomaly.

I keep my iPhone 5 in a Tech Armor TPU case, it's not a bumper. Then I keep the cased phone in a leather magnetically closing pouch in my front pants pocket. I suppose pressure being inside the pouch might have caused it. But why should that be? Most people keep their phone in a pocket, this flaw isn't acceptable regardless of where you keep your phone.

My theory is that I weakened the adhesive behind the black areas of the protector by lifting it off the phone several times to remove specks of dust. Maybe this allowed a small portal for air to lodge between the phone screen and Pointmobl screen protector. Not sure why this happened but I loved it otherwise.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:00 PM   #6
nursb
macrumors newbie

Angry The Ameoba

I just bought one of these for my iPhone and it looked perfect for a couple of weeks.....then all of a sudden the strange Ameoba like creature appeared. I am kind of sitting on it waiting for it to magically disappear just like it appeared, but I seriously have my doubts
Has anyone gotten a resolution???
nursb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Ta0jin
macrumors regular

The problem is there is no adhesive on the clear glass portion, just on the colored area of the shield. The amoeba like thing is gonna happen regardless.
Ta0jin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 07:21 PM   #8
cassidysymes
macrumors newbie

Screen Protector

I just got this same screen protector and loved it and then it happened to me as well with the anomaly in the middle of the screen. I lifted the screen protector off and within a day it was back. I took it off again and then decided to put it in a different case and sure enough it was fine and I never had the problem again in the last couple months. I just had to make sure each case I have won't put pressure on it at all. I was using the Urban Armor Gear case. Good luck, I guess you have to choose nice screen protector or full case. For me I got a slim belt clip case and only use the clip at work.

The pictures are pretty much the case I have and works great with this screen protector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 5 case 1.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	417979   Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 5 case 2.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	417980  
cassidysymes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 07:23 PM   #9
cassidysymes
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursb View Post
I just bought one of these for my iPhone and it looked perfect for a couple of weeks.....then all of a sudden the strange Ameoba like creature appeared. I am kind of sitting on it waiting for it to magically disappear just like it appeared, but I seriously have my doubts
Has anyone gotten a resolution???
Its all about the case I figured out!! Good Luck I did post a couple pictures of the case I found that works well with it.
cassidysymes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 05:09 AM   #10
Robert3935
macrumors newbie

@cassidy: what brand is your case and belt clip?
Robert3935 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 09:34 AM   #11
waynejohnson101
macrumors newbie

Solution?

I had the amoeba appear several times. Each time I pulled up one end of the cover (while holding the other end in place) and snapped it back down. The amoeba dissapeared.

Someone here made a suggestion that maybe it was the case/bumper. I was thinking maybe it's air pressure so I popped a tiny little hole on each side of the bumper (I used a hammer and a small nail and hammered in in just enough to see light on the other side.) I have not seen the amoeba since. It's been three days.
waynejohnson101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories