Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:43 AM   #1
jlc1978
macrumors 65816

Odd itunes behavior

I use Apple TV to stream my iTunes videos to my TV via home sharing. My iTunes library is on a NAS with the iTunes library set to NAS location. This works fine but after a while iTunes has reset the library to the default means I can no longer watch any of the files on the NAS. I can go back into iTunes preferences, point the library location to the NAS and everything works ok until iTunes decides to revert to the default file storage location again.

I running iTunes on an old C2D mini with Snow leopard and teh laets version of iTunes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
jlc1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:44 AM   #2
FreakinEurekan
macrumors 68030

I had a similar setup a few years ago and ran into problems with iTunes losing track of the media folder on the NAS. Don't recall the specific problems I was running into, but what I ended up doing was a link -s to make the iTunes Media folder from my NAS mount into ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/ (so iTunes basically "saw" the media as being in the default location). It worked that way for quite a while, until I got a new Mini and moved everything to local storage off the NAS.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:39 AM   #3
waw74
macrumors 68020

an alias works for this also. (same thing as link -s, but lets you do it graphically)
  1. quit itunes
  2. go to the actual folder that your music is in
  3. right click
  4. "make alias"
  5. drag that back to the music/iTunes folder in your home folder
  6. rename it as "iTunes Media"*
  7. restart itunes.

*you'll need to delete the iTunes media folder that's there, so make sure you've got everything out of it that you need.

at the very worst if it looses your libary, you'll need to restart iTunes once you're connected to your library, and it will all be found again.

i do this all the time, i also have a backup copy of my library on an external drive that i take when i travel. I can just replace the alias with one that points to the external instead of the network.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 05:12 AM   #4
jlc1978
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinEurekan View Post
I had a similar setup a few years ago and ran into problems with iTunes losing track of the media folder on the NAS. Don't recall the specific problems I was running into, but what I ended up doing was a link -s to make the iTunes Media folder from my NAS mount into ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/ (so iTunes basically "saw" the media as being in the default location). It worked that way for quite a while, until I got a new Mini and moved everything to local storage off the NAS.
Thanks. I'll try that as well. I can't remember if that automounts the folder.

I tried setting up a folder that would automount via:

10.0.1.18:/SharedMedia /Users/userid/Test url automounted,url==cifs://usieridassword@10.0.1.18/SharedMedia 0 0

but the folder Test would not be visible until I unmounted it.
jlc1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater