Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:27 PM   #1
directeur
macrumors newbie

Accidentally quit terminal and files are gone

I was trying to execute a command in terminal. It became unresponsive so I quit terminal.

Then all of my files on my Desktop, my Documents folder and my Downloads folder are gone. There are important documents in all three places and I don't know how to retrieve them! I also had this "locked" folder in my Documents folder and that has not been erased, meaning all files are gone except that locked folder.

I tried to search the web about Time Machine and if I can restore my files but unfortunately, I don't think I can use it since it wasn't turned on or something... I wasn't sure about it so I didn't touch it. The off/on button wasn't turned "on" (Does this mean something?)

I just faced this. I've been searching on the internet for about 10 minutes to see if anyone else faced the same problem but I had no luck finding a post that can provide me with answers.

For my part, I have restarted then shut down my macbook. I also tried to see if I can do something with the Time Machine application, but like I stated, I was helpless with it. I'm not really good with the technical things so I wasn't able to do much but search the web in hope for answers.

Help! I'm tearing my hair out here... I wrote this by following the "How to maximize your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" post. I hope I posted this on the right section on the forum. If not, please direct me to the place and I'll repost it there.

Computer Info:
> Macbook Pro (13 inch)
> Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
> Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
> Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
> Memory: 4 GB
HELP! PLEASEEE!!! Thank you... :/

Last edited by directeur; Jan 26, 2013 at 10:39 PM.
directeur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:18 AM   #2
mfram
macrumors 6502a

You'd have to tell us what command you tried to execute in the Terminal. Maybe you didn't get rid of your files and just made them so you can't read them.
mfram is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help