Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saporiti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portugal
Hey boys and girls,

I'm Portuguese and living in Portugal. Currently taking a degree in marketing and advertising, already in the 2nd year.
Always had 2 dreams: living in London and working on a apple store.

Since this is an international forum, and since there's British users around, I would love to get some feedback about this matter...

Is there any specific requirement to work on a apple store? Is they're payment acceptable?
I speak clear English, not that good at writing although. Of course I could do some improvements if it was strictly necessary, but that would actually be a pleasure for me since I love the language!

Hope to hear some advice from you guys, and a nice weekend everybody! :)

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Apple is very selective about the kind of people they employ generally, and the salary is meant to be slightly below average for retail. But if you show an enthusiasm for Apple products, you're good at explaining things in a simple manner to customers, and you can speak clearly in English, you have just as much of a chance as anyone else.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Why an Apple store employee - that's an odd dream? London is a great city to live in, full of great things to do and sites to see - but it's also bloody expensive. An Apple store employee who will usually work in the very centre and won't earn a high wage, which means living far away with long commutes (as rent is too high to live close). I'd aim for a higher paying job if you can (and one where you don't have to deal with the public :D).

The average annual salary in the UK is £32,000, and I believe the salary of an Apple Store assistant is below that.

That sounds a bit high to me. I thought the mean full time salary was ~£26k? Still I'd be very surprised if an Apple Store sales assistance started on that.

Last edited:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
London is extremely expensive to live in as others have said, and the retail salary isn't amazing.

I have a friend who lives in London and their flat in an average sort of area is worth as much as our 3-bed semi detached in a very nice area, and I live only 40 miles outside of London.

I'd suggest commuting in via train or something from a cheaper area if you had to work in London, or you'd better get saving for the rent! :p

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
That sounds a bit high to me. I thought the mean full time salary was ~£26k? Still I'd be very surprised if an Apple Store sales assistance started on that.

Right you are. £32k is the average working household's annual income rather than the average individual salary. My bad.

Really though, you should be paid over the average if you live in London since it as, you correctly point out, ****ing expensive to live in.

saporiti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portugal
Hey guys, first of all thanks for the answers.

I decided to ask, and now I'm kind of disappointed actually. I thought things would be a lot better.

For example, I have a friend living in London.. He works 4 days a week in a bar/restaurant of a hotel, makes 310 pounds a week plus tips (sometimes he makes more than 100 pounds a week on tips), and he as a free room with bathroom, a gym and a pool to use, and free meals (4 meals a day) everyday, even if he's not working, like weekends or free days.

I was in London last summer, for 4 days, and totally loved it. I stayed on a hotel in Aldegate East and even though at night it was kinda scary, during the day it was a nice place. I went on all the places I wanted, London eye, Big Ben, abbey road, Piccadilly Circus, etc...

I have to say I love London. It's one of those city's I'd love to be every day, I love the foggy weather and the rain, I loved the people and I love the accent.

It's a shame that everything it's so expensive.

Maybe when I finish my degree in marketing and advertising I get a chance to go and work there, since they have one of the best advertising markets out there.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I have a friend living in London.. He works 4 days a week in a bar/restaurant of a hotel, makes 310 pounds a week plus tips (sometimes he makes more than 100 pounds a week on tips), and he as a free room with bathroom, a gym and a pool to use, and free meals (4 meals a day) everyday, even if he's not working, like weekends or free days.

If he has a free room in London he lucked out big time and that's the only reason he can afford to live there in that kind of job. Unless you can get the same type of job which comes with a free room you will have a much harder time with anything part time. You need to get some sort of fairly high up office job to really afford it normally.

I was in London last summer, for 4 days, and totally loved it. I stayed on a hotel in Aldegate East and even though at night it was kinda scary, during the day it was a nice place. I went on all the places I wanted, London eye, Big Ben, abbey road, Piccadilly Circus, etc...

I have to say I love London. It's one of those city's I'd love to be every day, I love the foggy weather and the rain, I loved the people and I love the accent.

It's a shame that everything it's so expensive.

Maybe when I finish my degree in marketing and advertising I get a chance to go and work there, since they have one of the best advertising markets out there.

London is an awesome place and I wish you luck finding a decent job :)

saporiti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portugal
I also hope so, but right now it's literally impossible, unfortunatlly. I wish I could go now, but I'm still 1 year and a half away from finishing my studys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.