Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrincessV

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
I’ve sold many items on eBay, including a Acer Iconia A501 tablet & 2 iPhone 4’s. It can be scary, but I try to take precautions! There are “restrictions” (buyer requirements), that can be set when you list an item. Example: No Buyers with low Feedback history, no PayPal account, Buyers with Unpaid Item strikes. These are just a few restrictions available.

For expensive items, I listed only as Buy It Now with immediate payment required & PayPal only. This way, I don’t have to wait for payment & my listing is still posted if payment is not made.

I also use eBay’s shipping & pay shipping thru PayPal. For expensive items, I require signature upon receipt. That way, I’m somewhat covered if things get sketchy. Both eBay & PayPal have Seller protection as long as you follow their guidelines.

Before listing, I check the “completed” listing to determine a fair price. I compare the condition of what’s been sold with my item. And determine if my item is better & what “extras” are involved.

I’ve been somewhat successful with eBay. But I take the precautions listed above. I’ve not used Craig’s List, as I’m not interested in meeting a stranger anywhere!

I have an iPad mini & will most likely sell it on eBay, if and when the iPad mini with retina is released.

Hope this helps!

PittsDriver

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I did the exact same thing. I am a pilot and our company requires us to have an iPad to keep all of our charts and documents on for the cockpit. We just got approved for the iPad mini so I sold my ipad 3 for a Mini. I sold my 32gb iPad 3 with AT&T LTE for 600 in about 6 hours of the listing. I too put it as a "buy it now" and requiring immediate paypal.

grkazan11

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I read your post and I was wondering if you would be willing to trade your iPad 3 w/Retina for a Black 16GB iPad mini. I need the bigger/retina screen for reading large PDFs for my classes at college. Idk if you'll like this proposition or not, just thought I'd give you an option. :)

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I have traded some of my older Apple items in at Best Buy to put toward the purchase of my newer ones. Right now they are offering $300 for the 32gb 3rd gen LTE. It is less than you could get from an outright sale, but it saves the time and possible hassle. You can walk in with your old iPad and walk out with your Mini (assuming they have the model you want in stock).

As far as your accessories you can list them here, on Amazon, or eBay.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I have had my iPad 3 since March and while I have enjoyed it, I am strongly considering for a mini due to the smaller form factor. I find myself using my iPad 3 less and less, and for the past few months I haven't even used it. I was tempted to wait for March to see if there was an update mini, but since it doesn't seem as if there is going to be a March release - I am thinking of getting one this week.

However, I am not sure what to do with my iPad 3. I was thinking about selling it but I also have a nice sleeve, leather smart cover, and ghost armor matte protection on the back. I want to try eBay but it seems a bit risky... any other place where I can sell it? I know Gazelle guarantees $300, but it seems a bit low for what I payed.

Another thing holding me back is the future release of an iPad mini with a retina display. I know - who cares about future releases, enjoy the product now... but I know I'd want the retina mini (then it'd be perfect). But then where would I sell my old one? I know many here have experience with selling their old iPads/iPhones so any recommendations would be great.

Why not try selling it locally? If I were to ever sell mine, that's the first place I would list it: in the local paper and some of the free local online classifieds.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I listed it on craigslist yesterday, but so far no responses. I am avoiding eBay as I have no account so it would be hard to sell a product like this imo. I feel like CL would be easier and less of a chance to get scammed.

I'm also considering giving it to my mom because she has an iPad 2 and uses it mainly for reading - so she would definitely appreciate the retina display. Then she could give her iPad to my dad, who doesn't have one. I would obviously not sell it to my parents but I would prefer to sell it because I am paying for the iPad mini.

Again, only thing holding me back is that I know that I'd want the retina mini. Then I'd have to sell it on Gazelle or on CL *again* which seems like a hassle.

CL isn't a hassle. You put your item up for sale and wait for responses. Never put my number and use a specific email for these things. It's the easiest and safest way to sell this type of product. I usually meet at Walmart,Grocery Store or a Bank. Depending on how you placed your ad and its content it shouldn't take longer than a week to sell. Everything I've put in Craigslist I've sold within that time frame.

PittsDriver

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
How so???? You get cash if you're selling. You get to look the product over before you purchase if you're buying. I fail to see how it's easier to get scammed.

You could get counterfeit cash, you could be robbed at gunpoint, you could also get beaten up in the process. It happens ALL the time and makes news. There is zero buyer or seller protection.

I have used CL a few times but eBay is much easier and safer when dealing with expensive, high value stuff.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I usually have several people at work who are asking to buy my iOS devices when I upgrade. I don't have to look anywhere else. When I bought the iPad 3 and decided to give the 2 to my Dad, one guy already called dibs on the 3 for whenever I sold it. :D

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
You could get counterfeit cash, you could be robbed at gunpoint, you could also get beaten up in the process. It happens ALL the time and makes news. There is zero buyer or seller protection.

I have used CL a few times but eBay is much easier and safer when dealing with expensive, high value stuff.

The percentage of buyers and sellers being scammed on eBay is much much higher than the percentage of you getting counterfeit cash. I actually think that's going to be so low it probably wouldn't even register a single percent.

It's up to you to use common sense when buying or selling anything. Meeting in a crowded public place, ie: Walmart, Banks or on a restaurant will provide you the safety you're looking for so these things don't happen. PayPal is for buyers. There is almost zero protection for the seller. They hold your money in their account and if the buyer says he didn't recurve the product or its broken then you're out the money and the product. Even if you do prove to be right it could be months before you ever see your money.

I have bought and sold many things off of CL and using these steps I've never had an issue. eBay scams don't make the news because they are so frequent that the entire hour would have to be dedicated to them.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I have had my iPad 3 since March and while I have enjoyed it, I am strongly considering for a mini due to the smaller form factor. I find myself using my iPad 3 less and less, and for the past few months I haven't even used it. I was tempted to wait for March to see if there was an update mini, but since it doesn't seem as if there is going to be a March release - I am thinking of getting one this week.

However, I am not sure what to do with my iPad 3. I was thinking about selling it but I also have a nice sleeve, leather smart cover, and ghost armor matte protection on the back. I want to try eBay but it seems a bit risky... any other place where I can sell it? I know Gazelle guarantees $300, but it seems a bit low for what I payed.

Another thing holding me back is the future release of an iPad mini with a retina display. I know - who cares about future releases, enjoy the product now... but I know I'd want the retina mini (then it'd be perfect). But then where would I sell my old one? I know many here have experience with selling their old iPads/iPhones so any recommendations would be great.

Hey OP! I'm going through the same situation. I decided I wanted a Mini a few weeks back and ended up saving $50 or so buying it new in box on Craigslist. I still have my iPad 3 and have found the resale of the iPad 3 has taken a real big hit on eBay. I've listed it three times lowering the BIN price each time and still no takers. I have it set to best offer and people are offering $400 for my 64gb wifi model. After eBay fees and shipping this is nearly a 50% loss on an item I purchased just this past July, 2012!

I'm willing to part with it for $450 or more after fees and shipping. Otherwise, I've decided to just keep it until next Christmas to give to my Mom as a nice Retina upgrade from her iPad 1.

heroinsoul

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
Have your ever considered using your old iPad as additional touch-enabled wireless display of your desktop computer or laptop?

There are now plenty of apps that allow to do that in a simple and easy way. For example iDisplay app. I've been using it for about 2 years. That's a really cool way of utilizing your old iOS device (you may even use your iPhone like this).

I often work in Photoshop and find such app really useful as I can drag all the tools windows to my iPad and free up the MacBook screen.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Hey OP! I'm going through the same situation. I decided I wanted a Mini a few weeks back and ended up saving $50 or so buying it new in box on Craigslist. I still have my iPad 3 and have found the resale of the iPad 3 has taken a real big hit on eBay. I've listed it three times lowering the BIN price each time and still no takers. I have it set to best offer and people are offering $400 for my 64gb wifi model. After eBay fees and shipping this is nearly a 50% loss on an item I purchased just this past July, 2012!

I'm willing to part with it for $450 or more after fees and shipping. Otherwise, I've decided to just keep it until next Christmas to give to my Mom as a nice Retina upgrade from her iPad 1.

Black or white? Your Ipad..

kitzuki

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009

This is laughable. Meet at a Starbucks buy a money marker from staples cvs rite aid ect. Stop reaching

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
I got a iPad Mini for Christmas, and still have my iPad 1. I use them both, it just depends on what I am watching or using it for.
Of course, I am kind of an Apple hoarder anyway.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I have had several issues on Ebay and ZERO issues on Craigslist. I feel you can fetch a few extra dollars on Ebay if you don't mind the hassle of shipping the item.

Since I started conducting my auction only as a one day auction, no buy it now price and no reserve I have never beed scammed. I seem to get more money, but I make sure I check every bidders location and if they are not in USA I cancel their bid and ban them from the auction. I do the same to those with zero feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.