Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capcaveman

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
My 64gb 4s is constantly full and I'm one of those pack rats who has to carry around 30gb plus of music, 10gb vids, plenty of apps etc. mainly because my wireless data is not so great in places so I can't rely on the cloud. I decided to skip the 5 hoping that this would happen...

http://9to5mac.com/2013/01/27/rumored-next-gen-ios-device-evidence-sketchy-future-iphone-parts-photo-128gb-device-code/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29

Then again I'll probably just fill that up and be begging for the 256 in no time.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
As far as I know, when Apple make the 64GB model, they actually use two 32GB chips. If they were to release a 128GB model they'd use two 64GB chips. I have no reason to believe that's not technically possible, it's just a case of whether or not Apple think they can make a decent profit from selling 128GB iPhones.

Or you can buy a Galaxy S3 64GB and put a 64GB microSD in it ;)

capcaveman

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
As far as I know, when Apple make the 64GB model, they actually use two 32GB chips. If they were to release a 128GB model they'd use two 64GB chips. I have no reason to believe that's not technically possible, it's just a case of whether or not Apple think they can make a decent profit from selling 128GB iPhones.

That thought had occurred to me but I'm too old to learn new things.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I doubt we'll see that for a few more generations. If we ever do. Companies want to charge you to monthly/yearly fees for cloud storage. I can see apple just selling a single 32gb model in the future.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
5S should be 128GB, and Samsung started mass manufacturing 128GB chips a while ago.

However, with most Android phones still being 16GB, I have doubts there is going to be a 128GB version.

The storage is seriously lagging on smartphones, CPU, RAM, everything increases but at mentioned above, 16GB is still standard on Android handsets. So the iPhone will most likely remain at 64GB for a while too.

I hope I'm wrong though.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
5S should be 128GB, and Samsung started mass manufacturing 128GB chips a while ago.

However, with most Android phones still being 16GB, I have doubts there is going to be a 128GB version.

The storage is seriously lagging on smartphones, CPU, RAM, everything increases but at mentioned above, 16GB is still standard on Android handsets. So the iPhone will most likely remain at 64GB for a while too.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Most Android phones have microSD slots though, so internal storage matters less on those.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
With the push to cloud services by Apple, Amazon, etc. I doubt we'll see a 128GB iPhone anytime soon.

I agree. I can't see Apple Putting lots or resources and money into giving you a 128GB device when they could put it into their already expanding cloud services.

If we were all still on unlimited data plans, then I would tend to agree also. However, we aren't and a single movie on netflix could potentially use up an entire allowance for a month. The same with streaming music.

I think that is why Apple still offers 32GB and even 64GB versions. I'm not sure a 128GB model is coming with the iPhone 5S or even the generation after that but I don't think its out of the question that Apple would offer one.

Due to limited data plans, I think the concept of cloud services is now limited to coordinating contacts, calendar appointments, email and backing stuff up on wifi.

capcaveman

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
The link I posted from the other website above indicates ios 6.1 beta is compatible with a 128gb ios device. This was not in 6.0. I know it doesn't necessarily mean that device will be the 5s but it certainly gives me a little more hope that it might.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

They use two chips on the iPod touch - but only one on the iPhone, which means any 128GB model would likely be more expensive.

I'm not even sure they do 128GB chips at the moment, could be wrong however.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Apple will never release a 128gb model. Why? They rather push you towards iCloud and collect a neverending stream of subscription fees.

capcaveman

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
Apple will never release a 128gb model. Why? They rather push you towards iCloud and collect a neverending stream of subscription fees.

If they move to a 13 megapixel camera, continue to let apps (games) get bigger and bigger, etc. you can't rely on the cloud for everything at least not for the foreseeable future. In my opinion they limit the life blood of innovation if they don't give the hardware more memory.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
My prediction is that they will have a 128GB model for the iPad 5 first. To make it more like a Surface. More for work, productivity.

Hosei

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
NY, NY

With the carrier limits and terrible infrastructures, I hope Apple recognizes that streaming is good up until a point. Storing your digestible media, I believe, will still be widely used until carriers change their profit structure.

6mtg37s

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
It's time for Apple to make a 128gb iPhone, that would definitely be a good investment. Should have gotten a 64gb on the 5.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
With the push to cloud services by Apple, Amazon, etc. I doubt we'll see a 128GB iPhone anytime soon.

I can see the 128 as their top, 64 mid and 32 bottom bc 16 just does not cut it anymore, however with cloud services, I am not sure we will ever see more than that. Consider iCloud restores would take forever, I just had my IP5 replaced yesterday and it took a long time and mine is only 16 gb, so can not imagine how long it would take for a 128 gb stuffed phone.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
No.

An iPad in the past has used double memory storage chips. This is because the iPad is (obviously) larger than other iOS devices and can afford this space.

An iPod Touch in the past has used double memory storage chips. This is because there are no cellular antennas like in the iPhone, thus there is more space for another chip.

An iPhone in the past has used a single memory storage chip. This is due to small form factor and space requirements for cellular antennas.

At present, we have only seen a single 64Gb chip as a max capacity for storage size, and these are fairly expensive. I'm not aware of a single 128Gb chip that is affordable enough for Apple to justify implementing into their device.

However, the iPad could certainly use double 64Gb chips to accomplish this storage space of 128Gb. Because we'll likely see a new iPad in the Spring, this reference to 128Gb is surely for the new iPad due out in a few weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.