Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

How Do I Best Mix Old and New Airport Express?

My oldest Airport Express burned out recently and I got a new dual-band version to replace it with. I will be using it with one of the older single band ones in an extended network. Should I connect the new one to the Internet connection and use the older one as the repeater or will it even matter? I was thinking that the newer one would give better initial range because it can broadcast at up to 5GHz.

I use two laptops (08 and 2001 vintage Macs), an iPad and two iPhones in a small single story house with a finished basement. All the computers are on the first floor with a max of three walls between the devices and the router.

Dale

Last edited by Designer Dale; Jan 26, 2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Correct device name.
Designer Dale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:58 PM   #2
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer Dale View Post
My oldest Airport Express burned out recently and I got a new dual-band version to replace it with. I will be using it with one of the older single band ones in an extended network. Should I connect the new one to the Internet connection and use the older one as the repeater or will it even matter? I was thinking that the newer one would give better initial range because it can broadcast at up to 5GHz.

I use two laptops (08 and 2001 vintage Macs), an iPad and two iPhones in a small single story house with a finished basement. All the computers are on the first floor with a max of three walls between the devices and the router.

Dale
Definitely connect the newer one and use the older one as a repeater. Just try and put each of them near the center of the house if you can; the new one on the first floor, and the older one in the basement.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:06 PM   #3
spork183
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Definitely connect the newer one and use the older one as a repeater. Just try and put each of them near the center of the house if you can; the new one on the first floor, and the older one in the basement.
You may need to play with placement. I had a new AExpress extending from my timecapsule coming from the cable modem. Then I used the early model (so timecapsule to AE-new to AE-old) in my great room, mainly for audio. Microwave oven in kitchen wrecked havoc on the old AE, with multiple drops. Rearranged them so the new one was in the great room, no more issues. No difference in my coverage in the house with the switch, but placement for the old AE was critical for streaming music.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork183 View Post
You may need to play with placement. I had a new AExpress extending from my timecapsule coming from the cable modem. Then I used the early model (so timecapsule to AE-new to AE-old) in my great room, mainly for audio. Microwave oven in kitchen wrecked havoc on the old AE, with multiple drops. Rearranged them so the new one was in the great room, no more issues. No difference in my coverage in the house with the switch, but placement for the old AE was critical for streaming music.
Thanks for the tips. I set this up both ways and using the newer AExpress for the base station gave better coverage in my home. The old one is in my computer room as an extender and it provides full connection speed in my downstairs studio which is just under by computer room.

Dale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:59 AM   #5
mabaty
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer Dale View Post
I was thinking that the newer one would give better initial range because it can broadcast at up to 5GHz.
5Ghz does not increase range, it decreases it (less penetration), while increasing speed.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help