Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:20 PM   #1
timrhancock
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Macbook stuck at Grey Screen with Apple Logo and Spinning Gear

Hi,

My Macbook (2009 aluminium unibody (Leopard 10.5.8)) won't boot. When I try to start it up it gives the chime and then gets stuck at the grey screen with the Apple logo and some spinning gear below. I have tried booting with the install DVD and repairing through Disk Utility but this doesn't work. Disk Utility can see the hard drive but none of the partitions on it! This makes me think the hard drive has died.

However, I can still boot to Windows through BootCamp. From Windows 7 I can still see and access files from the Mac partition. So maybe the hard drive is ok and something else needs fixing... SATA cable???

Other info:

The night before this happened my computer froze when trying to shut down from Windows and I had to force shut down.

The current internal hard drive is only about 4 months old (a bit short for it to be dying already - its a Western Digital 750gb 7200rpm). I replaced the old one as it had stopped working (at least i thought it was the hard drive ). The hard drive I replaced had lasted about 2 years (Seagate 500gb 7200rpm). Maybe the 7200rpm gets too hot?

Any help much appreciated as I really don't want to be reinstalling again.

Thanks
timrhancock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:34 PM   #2
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrhancock View Post
Hi,

My Macbook (2009 aluminium unibody (Leopard 10.5.8)) won't boot. When I try to start it up it gives the chime and then gets stuck at the grey screen with the Apple logo and some spinning gear below. I have tried booting with the install DVD and repairing through Disk Utility but this doesn't work. Disk Utility can see the hard drive but none of the partitions on it! This makes me think the hard drive has died.

However, I can still boot to Windows through BootCamp. From Windows 7 I can still see and access files from the Mac partition. So maybe the hard drive is ok and something else needs fixing... SATA cable???

Other info:

The night before this happened my computer froze when trying to shut down from Windows and I had to force shut down.

The current internal hard drive is only about 4 months old (a bit short for it to be dying already - its a Western Digital 750gb 7200rpm). I replaced the old one as it had stopped working (at least i thought it was the hard drive ). The hard drive I replaced had lasted about 2 years (Seagate 500gb 7200rpm). Maybe the 7200rpm gets too hot?

Any help much appreciated as I really don't want to be reinstalling again.

Thanks
If you can boot windows the drive has not failed! But the mac partition might corrupted. When did you install windows? You might have deleted mac osx.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Have you clicked Activate at the top to mount the hard drive? The partitions should appear afterwards.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:00 PM   #4
timrhancock
macrumors newbie

Quote:
If you can boot windows the drive has not failed! But the mac partition might corrupted. When did you install windows? You might have deleted mac osx.
Well that's good news...ish. I installed windows with the new hard drive - about 4 months ago and have used both systems quite a bit with no problems until now. I don't see how I could have deleted the Mac volume (I can still see the Mac partition in Windows - it's still there!!!). Any ideas as to why it may have corrupted?

Another note: when I boot into windows now I get a message from MacDrive saying:

"Mac volume may be damaged"

Quote:
Grab your Leopard DVD and boot off it. Then select Utilities->Disk Utility from the top menu. Select your Macintosh HD on the left, go to the First Aid tab and click Repair Disk. When it's done, click Repair Disk Permissions. Then eject the disk and reboot. It should be working again.
I've tried this. Neither the Mac partition (nor the Windows partition) of the hard drive can be seen in Disk Utility - only the whole drive itself. Any option to repair is greyed out.

Last edited by timrhancock; Jan 27, 2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:29 PM   #5
timrhancock
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
Have you clicked Activate at the top to mount the hard drive? The partitions should appear afterwards.
Just tried this. Can't see any Activate button but the Mount button is greyed out. The options it gives me with the drive are as if I had just installed it. All I can do is format it and create new partitions. The old ones have gone.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:15 AM   #6
timrhancock
macrumors newbie

any more ideas anybody?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook