Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Designed4Mac
macrumors regular

Late 2012 i7 Mini Doubts

Hi all. Ive purchased a 2.3GHz Quad Core Intel® Core™ i7 which is being delivered on Tuesday. Since ordering i have been reading about problems with the graphics i.e. a snowing effect and the screen repeatedly going blank.
The reviews that i read are a few months old so was wondering if this has been fixed or if i would be better waiting for 10.8.3 to be released if it is still happening and see if the update fixes it.
Designed4Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Nate392
macrumors member

Apple has released a firmware update, and since then I have has no problems on my 2.6 i7.
Nate392 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:00 PM   #3
elolaugesen
macrumors member

Had my 2.3 i7. For 10 days. Not a problem. Use apple cinema. Tried both hdmi and thunderbolt port withadapters
elolaugesen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:37 PM   #4
MFL2012
macrumors member

Just do the update as soon as you get your Mini set up and all will be fine.
MFL2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:15 PM   #5
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate392 View Post
Apple has released a firmware update, and since then I have has no problems on my 2.6 i7.
this

Quote:
Originally Posted by elolaugesen View Post
Had my 2.3 i7. For 10 days. Not a problem. Use apple cinema. Tried both hdmi and thunderbolt port withadapters
this

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL2012 View Post
Just do the update as soon as you get your Mini set up and all will be fine.
this

Oh I own a quad 2.3 and a base 2.5 0 hdmi issues since the firmware update!
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:02 PM   #6
Jig3n
macrumors newbie

Haven't had any display issues since the firmware update at all.
Jig3n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:36 PM   #7
costabunny
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
I too had these issues with the hdmi port and also its now fixed thanks to the firmware update.

Don't worry your self

"Of all the things I've lost; I miss my mind the most."
costabunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:31 AM   #8
fhall1
macrumors 68020

I got mine around Thanksgiving last year....used the HDMI output for a month before the firmware update came out and didn't see a problem....installed the firmware update and still haven't seen a problem.
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

I've had the 2.3 i7 for about a month now and have had absolutely no problems at all with the screen or anything else for that matter. I am using the DVI connection instead of the HDMI one, though.

I would recommend swapping out the RAM at least for something heftier; I've got 8GB in there right now, and it handles multiple safari tabs (about 9 or 10 most times), Parallels running Windows 8 and Wordperfect, and internet radio all at the same time seamlessly.

It's easily the best computer I've ever owned.
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:26 AM   #10
elolaugesen
macrumors member

Again I use apple cinema screen with dvi connectors. In reading the forums I find that most of the users with problems are those that are using HDTV TV screens instead of Computer Monitors. ( AM I Wrong???)

cheers elo
elolaugesen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:34 AM   #11
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

I ordered a 2012 Mini i7 about 10 days ago, and have had it up and running for a little over a week.

It came from the factory with the 10.8.2 update installed. No updates were necessary.

I have a second monitor hooked up via HDMI (to DVI), and have not had a single "glitch" during the times that monitor has been used. The display works as intended.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:35 AM   #12
lamerica80
macrumors 6502

You wont have any black screens after the update but your picture will look like sheit if you go HDMI=>HDTV.

Im still looking for a solution.
lamerica80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:52 AM   #13
kimusy
macrumors newbie

whites are blown text blurry

My late 2012 mini with the latest firmware installed is still not right. The colors are washed out and the smaller text on web sites is blurry.

I'm using a samsung sync243t monitor. Connected via the dvi/hdmi. I use my computer for editing photos in photoshop cs6. Past the 14 days to return, so hoping the 10.8.3 update will fix the color problem.
kimusy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:57 AM   #14
costabunny
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamerica80 View Post
You wont have any black screens after the update but your picture will look like sheit if you go HDMI=>HDTV.

Im still looking for a solution.
Calibrate your system - then you will have a good picture

Its in settings somewhere

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimusy View Post
My late 2012 mini with the latest firmware installed is still not right. The colors are washed out and the smaller text on web sites is blurry.

I'm using a samsung sync243t monitor. Connected via the dvi/hdmi. I use my computer for editing photos in photoshop cs6. Past the 14 days to return, so hoping the 10.8.3 update will fix the color problem.
And another - try calibrating your screen its in the settings area display advanced i think without looking as i am not on the mac.

This usually resolves washed out colours etc - did on mine after firmware i had no black screens but still awful colourwash until i ran the calibration. Now its a perfect output indeed on both my monitor and on the 42" Toshiba

Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:57 AM   #15
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:

People have mentioned hdmi problems. I'm not sure if a dvi --> mini displayport cable would work here. That is a very old display model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by costabunny View Post
And another - try calibrating your screen its in the settings area display advanced i think without looking as i am not on the mac.

This usually resolves washed out colours etc - did on mine after firmware i had no black screens but still awful colourwash until i ran the calibration. Now its a perfect output indeed on both my monitor and on the 42" Toshiba
That wouldn't resolve the blurry issue. Clipped whites are also typically hardware. In your case the thing must have assigned a profile that was a complete mismatch to your display. Unless the problem is the monitor profile itself, this won't be of any help.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:21 AM   #16
kimusy
macrumors newbie

[QUOTE=thekev;16739327]People have mentioned hdmi problems. I'm not sure if a dvi --> mini displayport cable would work here. That is a very old display model.

The monitor is working with the dvi/hdmi adapter I would not have bought the mini without knowing that it would work. I asked the sales person at the apple store. This is a problem I think with the gpu and software. If only certain monitors with dvi inputs will work with the mini their should have been a disclosure list of some kind.
kimusy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:31 AM   #17
costabunny
macrumors 68000

Quote:
If only certain monitors with dvi inputs will work with the mini their should have been a disclosure list of some kind.
I dont remember seeing any dvi issues with specific monitors, perhaps you missunderstood?

As far as ive seen the issue was hdmi output only affected; the miniDP was not affected.

Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:48 AM   #18
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
The monitor is working with the dvi/hdmi adapter I would not have bought the mini without knowing that it would work. I asked the sales person at the apple store. This is a problem I think with the gpu and software. If only certain monitors with dvi inputs will work with the mini their should have been a disclosure list of some kind.
People have mentioned problems with the HD 4000 and HDMI. I was referring to that. I hate HDMI.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:12 PM   #19
ukilnme
macrumors newbie

New to Mac

Hey Guys and Girls, I too have just purchased New Mac Mini, only one day so far and no issues with hdmi, but I did update 1st. thing out the box.
ukilnme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:42 PM   #20
cmeisenzahl
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovememac View Post
Hi all. Ive purchased a 2.3GHz Quad Core Intel® Core™ i7 which is being delivered on Tuesday. Since ordering i have been reading about problems with the graphics i.e. a snowing effect and the screen repeatedly going blank.
The reviews that i read are a few months old so was wondering if this has been fixed or if i would be better waiting for 10.8.3 to be released if it is still happening and see if the update fixes it.
I was seeing the problem all the time, have not seen it once since the firmware update.
cmeisenzahl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:08 PM   #21
David58117
macrumors regular

I tried an asus monitor with HDMI as well as a Samsung 55" HDTV w/ HDMI - no issues.

I did have the washed out colors initially, but since calibrating it, the colors are deep and it looks great. I have no blurriness on text, everythings very clear..
David58117 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:20 PM   #22
Designed4Mac
macrumors regular

Thanks for all the feedback. Been using TB to hdmi on macbbok air and 24"Phillips Moda and the pic has been perfect. Looks like tomorrow will be a great day for another addition to my mac family.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:24 PM   #23
Designed4Mac
macrumors regular

Well contacted the superb apple support and was told that what i should have done was use migration assistant. So I did. and guess what it was just as bad.
Started to panic that i had a faulty model so decided to do a fresh install of everything as a last resort. Hey presto its now flying. Upgraded to this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMXS...833179&sr=8-15 today and ive got myself a little rocket ship.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:21 PM   #24
BilbooToo
macrumors newbie

Hi,

Sorry cos I know the 'which RAM' question has been done to death on this forum, but how does that RAM compare to Crucial's?

Got the 2.6 i7 and looking to upgrade to 16gb.

Thanks.
BilbooToo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:19 AM   #25
adonis3k
macrumors member

I still have HDMI/blackout/snowy picture issues with HDMI to HDMI, infact mine doesnt even boot from HDMI, well I get no picture anyway and yes I have the latest firmware installed.

I am using the MDP to HDMI with colour calibration as the colours are looked *****! but is working fine this way. Hoping 10.8.3 will fix the issues.

I have 16GB Crucial ram, not tried anything else.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini