|Jan 27, 2013, 03:14 PM||#1|
Upgrading my Mac Pro - Thoughts?
So my 2010 Mac Pro is a solid beast, and is working well for what I use it for (some gaming but mostly as a photography workstation and a home development machine (VS 2012 builds faaast on this compared to my work Dell laptop).
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on some upgrades and was wondering if anybody has experience with these parts and/or suggestions on alternatives. I'm budgeting myself for about $500-600 but that is flexible.
2.8 GHz Quad
3GB 1066MHz DDR3
Radeon HD 5870
Standard 1TB Hard Drive
24GB RAM OWC85MP3W8M24K $221.99
Desktop SDD 1 (System) OWCSSDMX6G120T $149.00
Desktop SDD 2 (Aperture) OWCSSDMX6G120T $149.00
SSD Mounts x2 OWCMMP35T25 $39.98
All part numbers are from OWC (macsales.com). My thought is using a new SSD for my system drive (which also hold my Windows partition), a secondary SSD just for my Aperture library (which will be partitioned to reduce overall size... currently about 200GB), and keeping the platter 1TB for general storage.
I'm starting to run into bottlenecks in memory when using Aperture (excessive swap file usage) and hard drive access times are getting pretty appalling when scrolling through various libraries.
I own stuff.
|Jan 27, 2013, 03:22 PM||#2|
If you are going to get Sandforce based SSD's get Intel 520's. A few dollars less, better warranty and way better firmware for stability and hand picked NAND. The rest is fine. OWC SSD's are nothing special. They could easily be called "Super-Talent" or "Corsair" or "OZC".
Mac Pro W3680, GTX 680, 12GB DDR3, SSD; MBP, 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB DDR3, SSD; Eizo fs2333
|Jan 29, 2013, 11:38 AM||#3|
Intel W3680 3.33GHz Hex $500
24GB Kingston 1333MHz RAM Triple-Channel 8GBx3 $199
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD $249
OWC 2.5" Drive Sled $20
MAJOR PERFORMANCE UPGRADE! Use the SSD as your boot drive and your original HDD for extra storage. Sell your 2.8GHz Quad chip on eBay for ~$130 to further lower the cost of your upgrade. Admittedly, at about $850, this option is a little more that you had planned to spend, but it will SIGNIFICANTLY boost the performance and longevity of your machine.
If you really want 2 128GB drives instead of one 256GB drive, Newegg has the 128GB version of the Samsung 840 Pro on sale for $119 right now with this coupon code:EMCXWVR22.
This thread has an excellent guide for performing the processor upgrade.
2012 Mac Mini | 2.3Ghz QC i7 | 16GB RAM | 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 1TB HDD | HP ZR2440w
2012 Mac Pro | 3.2Ghz QC Xeon | 16GB RAM | 3x1TB HDD | Dell U2412M
iPad 4 | iPhone 5 | 2TB TC | AE | ATV
Last edited by tejota1911; Jan 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
|Jan 29, 2013, 12:05 PM||#4|
You can mount one SSD in the optical bay and use the SATA and power connection there. No mount required unless you travel with your Mac Pro. I moved the CD drive to the lower slot, then used double-sided foam tape to stick SSDs to the top of the CD drive.
You can pick up an inexpensive SATA3 PCIe card for less than the cost of the OWC SSD sled if you want to add multiple SSDs in the optical bay, you'll need a power splitter and a couple of SATA cables to connect everything.
I did the CPU hex upgrade. Niiiice.
|Jan 29, 2013, 08:53 PM||#5|
I could get the hexa upgrade, money isn't the issue. But I just hate paying for something I don't really need.
I keep a close on my CPU usage with the quad Xeon, and honestly even when doing a lot of CPU intensive things (selective brushes in Aperture or building a large .NET application in Windows) I rarely if ever max it out.
I own stuff.
|Jan 31, 2013, 06:02 PM||#7|
Thanks for all the input!
I pulled the trigger today with overnight delivery tomorrow. I opted for two Samsung SSD's, a 120GB for boot and 250GB for photo storage. My existing 1TB will used for misc files that don't need snappy access.
Got the SSD's and sleds from Newegg for much cheaper than MacSales, and better overall reviews on the drives themselves.
I did snag the memory from MacSales since Newegg was out of stock. I went from 24 to 32gb. Just don't tell my wife
I own stuff.
|Jan 31, 2013, 06:10 PM||#8|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Having second thoughts about iMac vs. Mac Pro. What would you do?||StephenCampbell||iMac||36||Oct 7, 2013 11:43 AM|
|Thoughts on upgrading to a new iMac every year and selling the older one?||kat.hayes||iMac||21||Aug 29, 2013 06:02 PM|
|Mac Pro 1,1 Upgrading||jakesaunders27||Mac Pro||2||Jul 12, 2013 01:44 AM|
|Thoughts on upgrading a mid-2011 27" iMac||frjonah||iMac||3||Dec 26, 2012 11:40 AM|
|Upgrading Mac Pro||JimT1701||Mac Pro||3||Oct 26, 2012 12:28 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.