Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I forgot the password on the Mac I just bought on Craigslist. Well... The seller never gave it to me in the first place. Without resetting the computer, is there any way I could reset the password or something? The username is "one" and the password hint is "one". Guess what... "one" isn't the password. -.-

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I forgot the password on the Mac I just bought on Craigslist. Well... The seller never gave it to me in the first place. Without resetting the computer, is there any way I could reset the password or something? The username is "one" and the password hint is "one". Guess what... "one" isn't the password. -.-

Drop the seller a message and ask? Just a thought :)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

You don't make any sense at all, first you say you forgot-then seller didn't give-then you say login is one/one.

I think this is fishy on it's own.

You probably bought a stolen one.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
You don't make any sense at all, first you say you forgot-then seller didn't give-then you say login is one/one.

He did get a steal of a deal - $1500

Doesn't mean it is stolen though.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Last edited:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Where did he say it's was $1500.:confused:
Edit: Retina MacBook Pro 2.3ghz 16gb RAM $1500, but he didn't say it here.

Not only that, the seller doesn't respond!!!!

And, I said probably.

Edit: I just looked at his last few posts in history, something is strange here, he already started topics on:

What Could I Sell My rMBP For?

Can't Sign Into iMessage on Mac

In the same time span.

I could explain those. The second one is related to this, since I don't know the password. The first one, I just wanted to know how much I could sell it for if I wanted to. Low ballets on Craigslist -.-

----------

I reiterated the title in the OP. Read.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States

Did you try "1"?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
You should really do a full re-install of the OS. You don't need to log in to the user account to do that as far as I know.

Just reboot your Mac and hold Command-R to boot into recovery mode. You should then be able to do a clean install of OSX without any user accounts being created.

I think this will solve a lot of your issues and it's a good idea anyway when buying a used computer. Who knows what the previous owner had installed.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

If you have Lion or Mountain Lion, do a command-r boot and follow this guide to reset the PW. If you are in a prior version of OS X, boot from the OS DVD and your will see a password reset utility in the Utilities menu of the startup screen.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I'd try password1

... or a brute force using variations of that theme.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I read about that. From what I saw, it doesn't erase the password or change user accounts. Deletes everything else though.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I read about that. From what I saw, it doesn't erase the password or change user accounts. Deletes everything else though.
Hold CMD-R when you boot the laptop.
When in the recovery tool, open the disk management app.
Erase the drive.
Close disk management app.
Choose reinstall ML.

Done.

Several others have mentioned a reinstall and included links on how to do so. It is very simple and pretty much your one sound solution.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Hold CMD-R when you boot the laptop.
When in the recovery tool, open the disk management app.
Erase the drive.
Close disk management app.
Choose reinstall ML.

Done.

Several others have mentioned a reinstall and included links on how to do so. It is very simple and pretty much your one sound solution.

Does that erase the OS too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.