Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Just using my devices and both suddenly require activation. Didn't update or change anything, was literally reading a book on my iPad when I was prompted to authorize my device(s). I've been a registered iOS and OS X developer for years thus my devices are verified/activated. For some reason, it won't connect and keeps prompting me to try again.

I know the [supposed] GM build is out, but that is not an OTA update and I haven't installed it.. Whoops, as I am typing I just realized, Beta 4 expired.

Ok, I'm still posting this if anyone is as blond as me lol :eek:

codyc1515

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2008
I have a similar trouble. I tried several times yesterday to download the 5th beta but every time received the message that no update was available, so I just left it not realising that it would expire the next day. Well well well... I am now downloading the IPSW from the developer site in the hopes that I can in place update without losing all of my stuff (I do have backups with iCloud but my internet is so slow it would take a very long time to restore).

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Just using my devices and both suddenly require activation. Didn't update or change anything, was literally reading a book on my iPad when I was prompted to authorize my device(s). I've been a registered iOS and OS X developer for years thus my devices are verified/activated. For some reason, it won't connect and keeps prompting me to try again.

I know the [supposed] GM build is out, but that is not an OTA update and I haven't installed it.. Whoops, as I am typing I just realized, Beta 4 expired.

Ok, I'm still posting this if anyone is as blond as me lol :eek:

Just update it through iTunes on a computer.

I have a similar trouble. I tried several times yesterday to download the 5th beta but every time received the message that no update was available, so I just left it not realising that it would expire the next day. Well well well... I am now downloading the IPSW from the developer site in the hopes that I can in place update without losing all of my stuff (I do have backups with iCloud but my internet is so slow it would take a very long time to restore).

Same to above. Download through the portal, update through iTunes, problem solved.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Just update it through iTunes on a computer.

Same to above. Download through the portal, update through iTunes, problem solved.

Yup, that's what I did the second I realized. In all my years as an OS X and iOS developer I never had two "beta's" come so close that it crashed my devices. Just glad I was able to download the [now confirmed] GM when it happened. Had I been away from my Mac Pro.

Thanks for the help, and hope my post helped someone. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.