Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Meltdownblitz
macrumors 6502a

Good buy, MacBook Pro Retina 13'' $1199?

Is this a good buy? MacBook retina 13.3'' 128 HD version (seeing there's only this version and the 256 HD). Open box item, immaculate condition. This is my first time buying a MacBook, any advice welcome. Thanks.
Meltdownblitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:40 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

How much RAM does it have and where can you get it? Used (no link required) or via retail channels?

PS: HD, or HDD, is short for "Hard Disk Drive" and stands for mechanical platter based storage devices in form of those 2.5" and 3.5" disk drives in most computers.
SSD is short for "Solid State Drive" and stands for those flash based storage devices, that also come in form of 2.5" drives (and smaller ones of course).

The MacBook Pro with Retina Display uses flash based storage, thus using "HD" is a bit inconsiderate to its feelings, since it shed its ties with such old, creepy farts some time ago. Or it could be just my lack of words.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Meltdownblitz
macrumors 6502a

I'm purchasing at best buy. And ram I believe is 8gig ddr3? And HD I meant was hard drive which I thought was 128gig?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:56 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdownblitz View Post
I'm purchasing at best buy. And ram I believe is 8gig ddr3? And HD I meant was hard drive which I thought was 128gig?
If it is 8 GB, then that is quite a good deal, if you can live with 128 GB of storage capacity.

And while "HD" means "hard drive", technically flash based storage is not a hard drive anymore, but I guess, that term "hard drive" is associated with the storage device, that it will be used for quite some time.
Nothing bad, I am just a bit anal sometimes with those matters. Or OCD, or any other kind of self-deragatory illness you can think of.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:58 PM   #5
GoSooners
macrumors member

That's a spectacular deal!! I thought I got a good deal yesterday when I purchased the same spec'd laptop from BB for $1254.59 (excluding taxes). I'm hoping that due to the deep discount, I could resell this laptop and not lose too much when the next generation comes out with a better processor. I really need at least 256GB but this deal, IMO, was too good to pass up.
GoSooners is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:19 PM   #6
Meltdownblitz
macrumors 6502a

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I added the drop warranty as well, total came out to around $1450. I suppose that was a good deal at the time, glad to hear it actually is. And btw I did have a similar price tag on mine. I just bargained my way to $1200 without a problem, sometimes asking is the key. Although you do have to speak to a manager for a bargain.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:22 PM   #7
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdownblitz View Post
Awesome, thanks for the replies. I added the drop warranty as well, total came out to around $1450. I suppose that was a good deal at the time, glad to hear it actually is. And btw I did have a similar price tag on mine. I just bargained my way to $1200 without a problem, sometimes asking is the key. Although you do have to speak to a manager for a bargain.
That price was with the extra 10% sale going on right now - correct?
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Meltdownblitz
macrumors 6502a

Yep. Just for this past weekend. Sale price before 10% off was $1407 which is what I would have had to pay or even $1350 if it wasn't this "special" weekend where they were doing the one time 10% off. So congrats to us! Yay!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice