Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Is there a free e-book or pdf out there that I could use to get a handle on Linux? The basics are great as far as using the terminal for specific command lines and things of that nature, but I would also like something that is more like the books written for OS X(the thick ones). Thank you very much in advance.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
This is crazy! After almost 840 views, there is no one that knows where to find a basic Linux manual that's free? Do they just not exist?

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Have you tried the Ubuntu Manual (free PDF)?

If you're looking for something more technical, Linux Bible by Christopher Negus (~$30) is the book I bought when I first got started with Linux 10 years ago. The author uses Fedora in his examples, instead of a Debian based distro like Ubuntu, but you won't be hindered in any way if you use another distro. You may be able to find an older version for cheaper. It's worth the money, though, if you're serious about learning Linux.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Have you tried the Ubuntu Manual (free PDF)?

If you're looking for something more technical, Linux Bible by Christopher Negus (~$30) is the book I bought when I first got started with Linux 10 years ago. The author uses Fedora in his examples, instead of a Debian based distro like Ubuntu, but you won't be hindered in any way if you use another distro. You may be able to find an older version for cheaper. It's worth the money, though, if you're serious about learning Linux.

Hey! Thanks for this! And to answer your question; sort of. That gives a short intro to Ubuntu and a few commands, but I think the link for the Linux Bible is more of what I'm looking for. I don't know how advanced it is, but the Ubuntu Manual's perception of an "advanced user" is still not where I am. <---This is not me bragging or anything, but the advanced user section is stuff that I have been able to do in OS X and been able to figure out in Linux by searching around and then mostly just trying things out. It is also filled with a lot of explanation.

I will check that out though and I hope I can find it for much less. Thanks again.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Hey! Thanks for this! And to answer your question; sort of. That gives a short intro to Ubuntu and a few commands, but I think the link for the Linux Bible is more of what I'm looking for. I don't know how advanced it is, but the Ubuntu Manual's perception of an "advanced user" is still not where I am. <---This is not me bragging or anything, but the advanced user section is stuff that I have been able to do in OS X and been able to figure out in Linux by searching around and then mostly just trying things out. It is also filled with a lot of explanation.

I will check that out though and I hope I can find it for much less. Thanks again.

It's a great reference book because it starts from the beginning, teaching the reader about the Linux file structure, then builds up to shells, file permissions, scripts, user accounts, servers, and security. But these are all things that you would find in any good reference book - maybe someone else can recommend a cheaper one.

I initially purchased the predecessor to this book (Red Hat Linux Bible) about 10 years ago, and was quite impressed. After using it for a decade, I decided it was finally time to replace it and bought the current version. It's an even better read than the older edition I had. Explanations are clear and the examples are easy to follow. Great for beginners, intermediate, and even advanced users.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The following commands in a terminal window will help

apropos <keyword> : will give you a list of commands and other stuff appropriate to the keyword

man <command name> : will give you the "manual page" for the command

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Thank you very much, everyone.

I really appreciate the help and advice I got in this thread. I have found a copy of the Linux Bible on CL and the seller isn't too far from me either. I also downloaded what you included, Nermal, and am installing OpenSUSE as I type this response. I'm close to finishing my degree, so if I don't get into Grad school, then I think I'll try my hand at Computer Science. Well, we'll see anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.