Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:33 PM   #26
Death-T
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to Death-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jont-fu View Post
... and most people would naturally use the cheapest SD cards they find, causing slow app startup times and stuttering HD video playback. And what would happen when the card fails? Besides, managing what to store in the card and what in the internal memory would be a hassle. There are many good reasons why there are no memory card slots.

Though I agree the price of storage is high, but it's more related to Apple's business model.
If they were to do that I think it would be somewhat integrated so that the SD card's additional space isn't used until the phone's built-in storage is all used up. Sure, some cheap cards could go bad but it's not like those things have super high failure rates or anything. When it comes down to it, Apple doesn't offer options like this because they make a killing off their $500+ tablets with a few USB sticks worth of storage space.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:36 PM   #27
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
I think consumers are starting to question the value proposition of an iPad... Android tablets for 1/2 the price are starting to look very attractive.
There's no fully featured 10" Android tablet that's half the price of the iPad outside of the Nexus 10. Apple will never sell at cost either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death-T View Post
Apple doesn't offer options like this because they make a killing off their $500+ tablets with a few USB sticks worth of storage space.
Google doesn't offer expandable memory in any of their Nexus products. Only the OEM'S do. Even Andy Rubin has said that expandable memory is too confusing for the consumer.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:39 PM   #28
Schmitty11
Banned

I bet it will cost

Schmitty11 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:43 PM   #29
iZac
macrumors 65816

This better settle in the current 64gb price point, because having yet another price hike for the sake of a measly flash chip would be pretty bad on Apples part.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:43 PM   #30
ellsworth
macrumors 6502a

A 128GB option would be a nice fit with iOS 7 giving us a desktop option along with more flexibility to open/run/store/ files much easier.
It's always been something I've been a bit jealous to see on Android phones and that's about it
ellsworth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:47 PM   #31
shinx2ran
macrumors newbie

If they put USB slot, it will look great and more better functionality.

it will make more easier, having usb flashdisk or ext.hdd snap into the ipad, copying movie and music without itunes or having to stick with laptop or workstation.
shinx2ran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:49 PM   #32
luqtotheman
macrumors regular

this is long over due. memory has been getting cheaper.

Base model should be 32GB, then 64gb, and finally 128gb.

All for the same current price. Apps are larger and more content, this is in the interest of Apple.
luqtotheman is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:49 PM   #33
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakz View Post
This all has to do with Apple wanting to push up the average selling price of an iPad. Even if less than 10% of customers purchase a 128GB model, they'll increase the average device price by quite a bit.
I agree. The larger capacity means tremendous profit for Apple.

For the customer willing to pay an outrageous price, it only buys convenience.
maxosx is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:50 PM   #34
gjkiii
macrumors newbie

This outta raise the stock price
gjkiii is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:51 PM   #35
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinx2ran View Post

it will make more easier, having usb flashdisk or ext.hdd snap into the ipad, copying movie and music without itunes or having to stick with laptop or workstation.
That will never happen. A USB allows the user to choose. Apple is about locking users in.
maxosx is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:54 PM   #36
Carmenia83
macrumors member

I'm hoping they will finally kill off the iPad 2 and drop the 16GB iPad 4 into that price point. Then offer the 32/64/128 at the current prices. That will give them something to offer in the spring to keep the shareholders at bay until they roll out a redesigned iPad 5 and Retina iPad mini in the fall.
Carmenia83 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:02 PM   #37
Premium1
macrumors 6502

looks like it is going to be for the ipad line http://9to5mac.com/2013/01/27/apple-...128gb-version/
Premium1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:05 PM   #38
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsworth View Post
A 128GB option would be a nice fit with iOS 7 giving us a desktop option along with more flexibility to open/run/store/ files much easier.
Exactly, what is a "desktop option" ?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:06 PM   #39
JXChain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Or Apple could just put an inconspicuous MicroSD slot ... and we can add 64GB of storage for $50.00.

I think consumers are starting to question the value proposition of an iPad... Android tablets for 1/2 the price are starting to look very attractive.
yea, until they start downloading apps for their android tablet.

Looking through the google play store, the number of tablet apps available is mediocre at best.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyrider View Post
I bet he was referring to the ridiculous monstrosity/failure known as windows 8
JXChain is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:09 PM   #40
pauliaK
macrumors regular

I hope they'll get rid of 16 GB versions altogether not just add up one more option making it even more expensive. It's time to make the line up 32/64/128 with no changes in pricing.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:18 PM   #41
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

I think Apple may be doing this to differentiate the Full Sized iPad from the iPad Mini.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyrider View Post
OSX on a tablet

...Like that'll happen. If anything it's going to be iOS on a Mac.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinx2ran View Post

You just answered your own question as to why Apple will NEVER do it

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakz View Post
This all has to do with Apple wanting to push up the average selling price of an iPad. Even if less than 10% of customers purchase a 128GB model, they'll increase the average device price by quite a bit.
Although adding another four iPad models (white & black 128GB models, 3G and WiFi 128GB models) would make stocking them all at physical stores ever-more difficult.
mrsir2009 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:23 PM   #42
SPEEDwithJJ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Although adding another four iPad models (white & black 128GB models, 3G and WiFi 128GB models) would make stocking them all at physical stores ever-more difficult.
Or Apple can also be "creative" by making the 128GB versions for sale as Apple Store exclusive items.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:25 PM   #43
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDwithJJ View Post
Or Apple can also be "creative" by making the 128GB versions for sale as Apple Store exclusive items.
Then you'd get some serious lines at the Apple store
mrsir2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:32 PM   #44
k995
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmenia83 View Post
I'm hoping they will finally kill off the iPad 2 and drop the 16GB iPad 4 into that price point. Then offer the 32/64/128 at the current prices. That will give them something to offer in the spring to keep the shareholders at bay until they roll out a redesigned iPad 5 and Retina iPad mini in the fall.
Nope just add 100$ to tha current top price .
k995 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:37 PM   #45
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTX View Post
There's no fully featured 10" Android tablet that's half the price of the iPad outside of the Nexus 10. Apple will never sell at cost either.

Google doesn't offer expandable memory in any of their Nexus products. Only the OEM'S do. Even Andy Rubin has said that expandable memory is too confusing for the consumer.
That's just an excuse to implement a decent file management UI.

Yes, the iPad still has the technical lead in many regards, but tablets like the Samsung Galaxy 2, Nexus 10, etc. are "good enough" for a lot of consumers. It satisfies the basic uses of a tablet: email, IM/skype, web, games.

I just don't think Apple's strategy of making things more expensive will pan out in the long run. But I guess we'll see.
coolspot18 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:38 PM   #46
k995
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXChain View Post

Looking through the google play store, the number of tablet apps available is mediocre at best

Not really, just installed android on a hp touchpad for my aunt and every app she (and my kids want as they go play there) wanted was avaiable for the tablet.

They all seemed fine by me.

Quote:

I bet he was referring to the ridiculous monstrosity/failure known as windows 8
Well seeing MS posted record profit numbers I dont think they care. They got higher profit margins then apple or google at the moment.

Oh and I have been using it for months, dont really know what all the whinig is about, its a very nice OS.
k995 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:39 PM   #47
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXChain View Post

Looking through the google play store, the number of tablet apps available is mediocre at best.
That's because most apps scale fine for a tablet... unlike iOS? There are some tablet optimized apps, but I hardly notice the difference (if any).

I just picked up a Transformer Infinity to replace my iPad ... Android is definitely not as polished as iOS, but on the other hand, the freedom of the OS is refreshing as well.

If only Apple will refresh iOS and open it up a little, then things would be perfect in Apple land.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:40 PM   #48
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetsnazos View Post
No one CARES! UPDATE iOS already...Apple is so lazy its unbelievable.
WTF do you think Ive is doing...he's redoing it all to a new modern design.
Ryth is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:41 PM   #49
katewes
macrumors 6502

Would be pleased with the news of 128GB, provided they delete the 16Gb model, and keep the three price tiers for 32/64/128GB the same as the current 16/32/64GB.
katewes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:41 PM   #50
shinx2ran
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
You just answered your own question as to why Apple will NEVER do it [COLOR="#808080"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
That will never happen. A USB allows the user to choose. Apple is about locking users in.
I hope someday they will reach the point where they put aside their "Locking in customer" effort like they did with Bootcamp.
shinx2ran is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion