Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:07 AM   #101
ChrisTX
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
That's just an excuse to implement a decent file management UI.

Yes, the iPad still has the technical lead in many regards, but tablets like the Samsung Galaxy 2, Nexus 10, etc. are "good enough" for a lot of consumers. It satisfies the basic uses of a tablet: email, IM/skype, web, games.

I just don't think Apple's strategy of making things more expensive will pan out in the long run. But I guess we'll see.
But aside from the Nexus 10, is the iPad really all that more expensive?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:08 AM   #102
gadget123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
About time 16GB iPad went away.
16GB is good for Ipad mini..keeps cost down and more for casual people who just use it now and again.

32GB would be a good place to start with Ipad 5.
gadget123 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:12 AM   #103
frosse
macrumors 6502a

Could it be the fifth-gen iPad disguised as a fourth-gen like they did with Safari disguising as Chrome?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:29 AM   #104
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Boy if Apple dumps the 16GB iPad 4, and now sells the 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB, what a burn to iPad owners.
Well, absolutely. If Apple releases new products, then people should stay away from Apple and instead move to Samsung, because that company releases new products all the time...

See how stupid that is?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Surely you can't be serious. It's so obvious. I'll give you a hint. It's the very same reason that Apple will never allow expansion slots for memory cards.
Because 99% of people will never use them, which means to them it just costs money, is ugly, is another thing that can break, makes the case less stable, and probably some other reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsworth View Post
A 128GB option would be a nice fit with iOS 7 giving us a desktop option along with more flexibility to open/run/store/ files much easier.
It's always been something I've been a bit jealous to see on Android phones and that's about it
If you feel jealous towards Android phones, maybe that is what you should buy. On the other hand, Apple could have been running MacOS X on the iPhone for five years if they had wanted to; they actually have good reasons why they don't; a "desktop" would drive lots of tablet customers away.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:29 AM   #105
Galatian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post
128 will be great for those that want it, but personally, as someone who got the 64 original iPad, I'd never do that again. Too expensive to have it obsolete within two years via iOS software updates and I'm not interested in selling old and apply to new plus cash outlay the difference... For me, too expensive.
/
/
/
This! Had the 64 GB 1 Gen iPad and already felt pretty downgraded, when the iPhone 4 showed up a couple of months later with essentially the same processor but more RAM. From that point on it just went downwards. iOS become slower and slower with subsequent updated (especially Safari constantly crashing on iOS 5).

Now I have the iPad mini 32 GB version. I manage the files I need. While I'll still think it is a tad overpriced given the competition, for the first time I can say, this device feels right (weight, seize, speed). I just can't see myself forking out over 800 on a tablet again. You can get seriously more powerful notebooks for that money. Even Apples own MacBook Air get's pretty close to that price point (especially since Apple doesn't offer student discount on the iPads). Windows 8 tables on Haswell also seem to be much better deal once they come out for that price point. I think Apple will eventually put a storage upgrade down to 50 on each increase in size to stay competitive.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:32 AM   #106
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Surely you can't be serious. It's so obvious. I'll give you a hint. It's the very same reason that Apple will never allow expansion slots for memory cards.
What? Importing pirated music/apps and stuff? Are you serious these things can only be made through a USB port? Dude... wake up! It's 2013 and not 1995.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:37 AM   #107
SimonTheSoundMa
macrumors 6502a

Moore's Law plus the price of solid state storage has dropped by 50% per megabyte in a year makes you think there should be no price rise at least. What we should actually be seeing a price decrease for 128GB model compared to when the first 64GB retina iPad came to market. The price difference between models should be half what they are now too.

I really do not see Apple doing this at all.

I'm pretty fed up with people I know complaining they bought the 16GB iPad or 8GB iPod and run out of space. Time for them to die!

Last edited by SimonTheSoundMa; Jan 28, 2013 at 06:43 AM.
SimonTheSoundMa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:59 AM   #108
pipa
macrumors regular

It will probably stay 499/599/699 and will be 32/64/128. Which really sucks if you bought a 16gb 4th gen. But hey that's apple and I will be getting a 128 if its available.
pipa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:17 AM   #109
cgc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetsnazos View Post
No one CARES! UPDATE iOS already...Apple is so lazy its unbelievable.
Is there something you need patched in iOS that doesn't work or are you just one of those guys who requires updates to feel good about software? I'm not being sarcastic and am genuinely curious why you think iOS needs an update.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:21 AM   #110
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502a

"Ultimate" can also mean "final". I don't think Apple would discontinue the 9.7" iPad, nor would I want them to, but just putting that out there for those naysayers out there.
KieranDotW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:29 AM   #111
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Seems a bit absurd to me as another level up. The only possible reason for such a high storage would be to store music, photos, and video, but @ $1000 (after tax and w/o LTE) it's really for the person who has everything and who's ego dictates he must have the top-of-the-line of everything or he has nothing.

Now if Apple were to ditch the 16GB version and drop the 32 to entry, 64 middle, 128, top @ current price points then Apple is just adding value, and I'm OK with that scenario.

Personally, I bumped up to the 64 from the 32 when I bought the 3. I was near full w/ 32. But 64 is proving to be too roomy. I'll probably go back to 32 next time b/c, I felt a bit guilty paying $830 + tax for a tablet. Still do now that I don't even use most of the storage I paid extra for.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranDotW View Post
"Ultimate" can also mean "final". I don't think Apple would discontinue the 9.7" iPad, nor would I want them to, but just putting that out there for those naysayers out there.
I doubt it. "Final" is way off from here. While consumers may show a preference to the mini right now, professionals like lawyers and doctors, etc. like, need the extra screen space. Apple has been actively courting business so the 9.7 will be around for awhile. Plus iPad 9.7 sales are still strong, unlike when Apple effectively KO'd the touch wheel iPod, which had been declining in sales and then flattened, but not flatlined.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:39 AM   #112
raycart
macrumors newbie

Launch date March 5

I was rather shocked to have an employee at an Apple reseller tell me yesterday they would not be getting any more iPad minis in stock until the new ones were launched March 5.

I doubt the info, but who knows?
raycart is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:41 AM   #113
840quadra

As others have stated, this only makes sense if the 128 is sold at the price point of the 64gb, with all of the older capacities going down a tier in pricing.

Price the iPad higher, it's harder to justify the price of purchasing an iPad versus something else.
840quadra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:51 AM   #114
Scarpad
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylePowers View Post
I'm not denying the usefulness of 128GB... but in my head, I see it this way. Even with 64GB, I'm already choosing in iTunes which movies/TV shows of my 2TB collection to put on it (for a trip or something). Thusly, it's not going to be any different with 128GB, I'll just be ~doubling the amount of videos I can put on it. Which is perfectly okay, mind you.

In my eyes, the real problem is the infrastructure. Assuming a perfect world where cellular data caps were non-existent (or very high) or Wi-Fi was available everywhere, we should simply be able to stream our content from our iTunes collection.

Oh, iTunes in the Cloud you say? It only supports music. So even with an extra 64GB on my iPad, I'm still annoyed I have to pick and choose which videos to put on it.

//Yes I've heard of Plex and yes I'm currently using Air Video. But these are simply workarounds and aren't perfect.

I mainly use my large Ipad for comics, have a 64gb, don't need to carry my whole collection , so I can live without it, Plex can allow you to stream from anywhere so I don't need to carry my entire collection of vids Either, the only place I can see it usefull is perhaps an Ipod Touch or Phone for carrying music.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Seems a bit absurd to me as another level up. The only possible reason for such a high storage would be to store music, photos, and video, but @ $1000 (after tax and w/o LTE) it's really for the person who has everything and who's ego dictates he must have the top-of-the-line of everything or he has nothing.

Now if Apple were to ditch the 16GB version and drop the 32 to entry, 64 middle, 128, top @ current price points then Apple is just adding value, and I'm OK with that scenario.

Personally, I bumped up to the 64 from the 32 when I bought the 3. I was near full w/ 32. But 64 is proving to be too roomy. I'll probably go back to 32 next time b/c, I felt a bit guilty paying $830 + tax for a tablet. Still do now that I don't even use most of the storage I paid extra for.

----------

I doubt it. "Final" is way off from here. While consumers may show a preference to the mini right now, professionals like lawyers and doctors, etc. like, need the extra screen space. Apple has been actively courting business so the 9.7 will be around for awhile. Plus iPad 9.7 sales are still strong, unlike when Apple effectively KO'd the touch wheel iPod, which had been declining in sales and then flattened, but not flatlined.

I also own a Nexus 7 and its cheaper for me using the USB host and a 64gb stick to add storage to that if I needed to.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:52 AM   #115
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post

Never say never about storage. There are some people who could use 128GB on a tablet. And people's storage needs are only increasing. I bought a 64 wifi iPad 4. Not cause I need the 64 GB now. Simply because in the future I don't know if I'll need it. And if I need it I'll be glad I have it. Cause I intend to keep this iPad for a long time.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:53 AM   #116
Bah-Bah
macrumors member

I find it very hard to get excited by this news. I don't know what a tech company has to do to get me excited about the tablet market again, but it's not this.
Bah-Bah is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:53 AM   #117
kcamfork
macrumors regular

I can see 128GB coming to the iPad 4/5 only. With the iPad mini coming out, you need to place more value on the higher end 4/5. A storage bump does this pretty well. Although I would be disappointed if they added a 4th tier for $100 more, 16/32/64/128, rather than bumped all the storages to 32/64/128, and kept the pricing, it wouldn't matter to me. I'll only buy a 9.7" iPad if it takes on the mini's design and becomes significantly lighter. The mini has spoiled me...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:08 AM   #118
leroypants
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by k995 View Post
Nope just add 100$ to tha current top price .
Good luck with that....
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:08 AM   #119
Samuriajackon
macrumors 6502

Have u noticed that 1/3 of comments per article are complaints about apple's product release rate?
Samuriajackon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:17 AM   #120
appletoandroid
macrumors member

Awesome Apple, 128gb storage is so innovative it will steal the tablet market...

While they are doing that, Samsung continues to separate with their innovation with features and sleek designs!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:21 AM   #121
OutSpoken
macrumors 6502a

Meh...good for those who need it..

me, I'm happy with my 32GB.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:22 AM   #122
pmz
Banned

Storage is expensive. It's cheapest from Apple than other company. SD cards are a joke stop suggesting it. 2013 is too early for 32 to replace 16 and so on. iOS is not dated. Consumers don't buy Android over iPad, they buy Android when they don't know the difference. Macrumors is a bunch of irrational whiners.

That about covers it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah-Bah View Post
I find it very hard to get excited by this news. I don't know what a tech company has to do to get me excited about the tablet market again, but it's not this.
Positively no one cares if you're excited about a boring storage option. I can promise you that.
pmz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:31 AM   #123
scott911
macrumors 6502

ultimate would be an 8gb pad with a sd card slot.
scott911 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:31 AM   #124
SHirsch999
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
Alright then. So tell me this: What can you do with a USB that i can't do it already without it?
Upload documents, media, etc WITHOUT Internet access or iTunes. Currently I cannot do this and would love to be able to. If you know of a way to do this, without jail breaking, please let me know!
SHirsch999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:32 AM   #125
blackcrayon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by appletoandroid View Post
Awesome Apple, 128gb storage is so innovative it will steal the tablet market...

While they are doing that, Samsung continues to separate with their innovation with features and sleek designs!
Right. Because this 128gb model is the only update Apple has planned for the iPad. Ever. Adding this 128gb model is requiring 100% of Apple's employees working day and night on it; nothing else is being done or planned to be done but this.
They're going to cancel the 5th generation iPad and just continue with the 4th gen with more storage. Forever.
blackcrayon is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion