Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following today's revelation of code in iOS 6.1 Beta 5 hinting at future 128 GB iOS devices, 9to5Mac reports that four new high-end iPad configurations have appeared in a U.S. retailer's database.

While the exact identity of the devices is not revealed in the stock database, they do appear as "ultimate" configurations of the current full-size iPad models, suggesting that they may represent 128 GB models of the Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular iPad in both black and white.

possible_128_gb_ipad_models.jpg
While it is certainly plausible that this new iPad model is the 128GB iPad, we are currently not confident enough to outright claim that, but it seems likely based on the evidence. [..]

The P101 and P103 names are Apple's internal nomenclature for the WiFi-only and Cellular-compatible fourth-generation iPads, respectively. Both of those models comes in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB configurations. These storage sizes are known as "GOOD," "BETTER," and "BEST," respectively. As you can see in our table above, Apple is preparing to release the additional "ULTIMATE" model. "ULTIMATE" frequently refers to the most premium or highest capacity model available. The "A" points to a black configuration, and "B" stands for the white option.
No additional information such as specifications, price, or a launch date for the new configurations have yet been revealed.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Launch 128 GB Versions of Full-Size iPad?

Last edited:

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Cue the cries of those who feel burned that this option wasn't available when they bought their iPad and demands that Apple initiate a trade in program....

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
hm... reminds me of what they did with the first iphone. announce the newer capacity later on. So the new prices would be 799 and 929? yikes... 128gb iphone would be 499 too.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I'm not denying the usefulness of 128GB... but in my head, I see it this way. Even with 64GB, I'm already choosing in iTunes which movies/TV shows of my 2TB collection to put on it (for a trip or something). Thusly, it's not going to be any different with 128GB, I'll just be ~doubling the amount of videos I can put on it. Which is perfectly okay, mind you.

In my eyes, the real problem is the infrastructure. Assuming a perfect world where cellular data caps were non-existent (or very high) or Wi-Fi was available everywhere, we should simply be able to stream our content from our iTunes collection.

Oh, iTunes in the Cloud you say? It only supports music. So even with an extra 64GB on my iPad, I'm still annoyed I have to pick and choose which videos to put on it.

//Yes I've heard of Plex and yes I'm currently using Air Video. But these are simply workarounds and aren't perfect.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Well .. the new iPod Touch only come in 32GB and 64GB.

I wouldn't be surprised if starting in 2013 or 2014 .. GOOD means 32GB.

For sure I want the ULTIMATE .. but hey, my wallet is not as ultimate as is. Not to mention Apple charges a lot for merely additional storage space. :eek:

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This all has to do with Apple wanting to push up the average selling price of an iPad. Even if less than 10% of customers purchase a 128GB model, they'll increase the average device price by quite a bit.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Sounds like it will be a fourth size option: 16/32/64/128. Kind of disappointing, as I was hoping they'd just bump the base model to 32gb and have 32/64/128 at the same prices.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
32GB become base model.

Makes sense for the iPad, not really for iPhone, iPod touch, etc.

Surface also has 128GB option

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Nice to have but i aint paying over 1k for an ipad! Rather get a MBA!

Or Apple could just put an inconspicuous MicroSD slot ... and we can add 64GB of storage for $50.00.

This all has to do with Apple wanting to push up the average selling price of an iPad.

I think consumers are starting to question the value proposition of an iPad... Android tablets for 1/2 the price are starting to look very attractive.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
If this is the case, it would clearly be offered as 32/64/128 on new devices

Absolutely not, Apple is battling to maintain iPad ASP. They aren't going to purposefully decrease it. Adding a higher capacity is a well known and often used methodology to increase ASP.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
If this really is coming soon, then I don't see how a new iPad could be released in just a few months. Would be fall for the iPad 5.

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
Or Apple could just put an inconspicuous MicroSD slot ... and we can add 64GB of storage for $50.00.

... and most people would naturally use the cheapest SD cards they find, causing slow app startup times and stuttering HD video playback. And what would happen when the card fails? Besides, managing what to store in the card and what in the internal memory would be a hassle. There are many good reasons why there are no memory card slots.

Though I agree the price of storage is high, but it's more related to Apple's business model.

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Following today's revelation of code in iOS 6.1 Beta 5 hinting at future 128 GB iOS devices, 9to5Mac reports that four new high-end iPad configurations have appeared in a U.S. retailer's database.

While the exact identity of the devices is not revealed in the stock database, they do appear as "ultimate" configurations of the current full-size iPad models, suggesting that they may represent 128 GB models of the Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular iPad in both black and white.

No additional information such as specifications, price, or a launch date for the new configurations have yet been revealed.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Launch 128 GB Versions of Full-Size iPad?

Typically, Apple has 3 different SSD levels and then with and without cellular. Only having 4 models seems a little weird to me. Maybe it's a new high end model. If they already are releasing what appears to be real part numbers, it shouldn't be too much longer. Yeah, I can see that these could very well be White and Black models with/without cellular with 128G SSD. If it is, maybe they'll announce sooner than later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.