Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:36 AM   #1
mlamb64150
macrumors member

Accompanying gaming monitor to sit alongside 27" iMac 2012

Hi fellow Mac fans.

I've recently purchased a 27' iMac 2012 and I'm thoroughly enjoying using it. Only minor niggle is that it sits alongside a Dell UltraSharp U2410 on my desk, which I use for gaming on my XBox 360.

It's a very nice monitor in it's own right, however it simply looks odd next to the bigger and more aesthetically pleasing iMac. I'd like to look into getting a suitable HDMI friendly gaming monitor that compliments the iMac in terms of colour (Silver) and size.

So far the only monitor I've found that looks somewhat suitable is the Asus MX279H 27 (see below), but I'm really looking for other suggestions.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:18 AM   #2
jwjsr
macrumors 6502

I'd buy that monitor if text looks good on it
jwjsr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:29 AM   #3
jobush
macrumors newbie

If anyone made something that matches Apple's design of uh, anything, they will be sued for copyright infringement.

With all seriousness, it may be difficult to find what you are looking for because Apple seriously will sue people if they do so much as make something like a product you want. For your convenience, they already have a product that suits your needs - it's called the Thunderbolt display. And also for your INconvenience - it's priced at least twice as much as its competitors.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/t...itor?c=us&l=en

These might be good.
jobush is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:44 AM   #4
mlamb64150
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobush View Post
If anyone made something that matches Apple's design of uh, anything, they will be sued for copyright infringement.

With all seriousness, it may be difficult to find what you are looking for because Apple seriously will sue people if they do so much as make something like a product you want. For your convenience, they already have a product that suits your needs - it's called the Thunderbolt display. And also for your INconvenience - it's priced at least twice as much as its competitors.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/t...itor?c=us&l=en

These might be good.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I'd happily get a Thunderbolt display if they worked on gaming consoles, which is what the 2nd monitor is for. Maybe the next refresh will be to my liking, but won't hold my breath.

Looks like I'm going for a Dell 27', but it will just look so unflattering next to the iMac
Old Feb 3, 2013, 08:45 PM   #5
ahall52
macrumors newbie

Did a quick google search and found this:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/27-i...display-124552

Looks like ~$150 might solve your need for a second monitor altogether...
ahall52 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:39 PM   #6
mlamb64150
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahall52 View Post
Did a quick google search and found this:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/27-i...display-124552

Looks like ~$150 might solve your need for a second monitor altogether...
Thanks Ahall but that's not the solution I'm looking for. I don't want to use my iMac for console gaming, I want a dedicated display for that which doesn't make my desktop look like hell because it's sitting next to a gorgeous iMac
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:50 PM   #7
bcwestcoaster
macrumors newbie

You might consider a refurbished or used Apple Cinema display with a Belkin AV360 Mini DisplayPort converter which convert HDMI to Mini DisplayPort.
bcwestcoaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:31 PM   #8
cramazing
macrumors 6502

does anyone know if the Asus will go well with a RMBP?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

The Asus referred to in the original post is nice indeed, especially for the price. Granted, it's only a "medium-rez" display (essentially the image of a 24" "blown up" to 27"), but it's still VERY nice, considering the cost.

Actually, the same panel used in the Asus is also avaialble from AOC even cheaper:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AOC+-+27...&skuId=6293177

Here's a review:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc_i2757fm.htm

If you visit both Asus' and Aoc's sites, you can download the manuals for these in pdf format and compare features and menu choices...
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Tags
imac 2012, secondary monitor, xbox 360