Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:04 PM   #1
MIDI_EVIL
macrumors 65816

Recommend a display for video monitoring whilst editing

I'm looking for a 'decent' and 'affordable' display, to hook up to my NVidia GTX 670 whilst editing in both FCPX and Premiere CS6.

I currently use a 23" Cinema Display.

I'd appreciate any suggestions from around $150 to $350, or up to 500
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:33 PM   #2
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

I bought a 24" Dell a few years ago that I still like (lots of video inputs, USB slots, card reader, etc.,). It'll just be another display for the GUI so you don't have to go crazy on it.

Lethal
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:24 PM   #3
FroColin
macrumors regular

I actually use a BlackMagic UltraStudio mini thing and my TV (I have a really nice panasonic plasma, the VT50 actually) but if you have a TV and you can work with it in terms of location, then it can be great to monitor on. It's important to see your stuff on a big screen I think
So much software. So much
FroColin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:03 AM   #4
MIDI_EVIL
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe View Post
I bought a 24" Dell a few years ago that I still like (lots of video inputs, USB slots, card reader, etc.,). It'll just be another display for the GUI so you don't have to go crazy on it.

Lethal
Thanks! Is it good enough (or overkill) for 1080p monitoring as secondary?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroColin View Post
I actually use a BlackMagic UltraStudio mini thing and my TV (I have a really nice panasonic plasma, the VT50 actually) but if you have a TV and you can work with it in terms of location, then it can be great to monitor on. It's important to see your stuff on a big screen I think
I've just taken a look at this, seems like a great solution.

Which model did you get exactly?

Thanks for your input!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:53 PM   #5
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDI_EVIL View Post
Thanks! Is it good enough (or overkill) for 1080p monitoring as secondary?[COLOR="#808080"]
I like it a lot and when my 23" Apple monitor dies I doubt I'll go with Apple again (lack of features kills me). I only use my computer monitors as computer monitors though because, for a number of reasons, they don't accurately reproduce a video image for me to trust them as 'critical viewing' monitors.

If I wanted to go that route on a budget I would do something along the lines of what FroColin is doing.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:11 AM   #6
MIDI_EVIL
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe View Post
I like it a lot and when my 23" Apple monitor dies I doubt I'll go with Apple again (lack of features kills me). I only use my computer monitors as computer monitors though because, for a number of reasons, they don't accurately reproduce a video image for me to trust them as 'critical viewing' monitors.

If I wanted to go that route on a budget I would do something along the lines of what FroColin is doing.
Thanks Lethal, great advice. I've always had a lot of respect for your experience in this field, so I appreciate your input.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroColin View Post
Could I ask you for the exact model of BM US you use? There doesn't seem to be a 'mini' version, only express...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:21 AM   #7
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

No problem, I'm here to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDI_EVIL View Post
Could I ask you for the exact model of BM US you use? There doesn't seem to be a 'mini' version, only express...
Look a hair further down the page (a pair of small, gray boxes).

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video