Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
Greetings MacRumors,

I have a desk top Mini Mac bought new 2011 intel. My question is can I buy a Mini Mac server used 2011 vintage, and use the OS and Software bundle that came with my Mini Desktop. Want to turn the server into a desk top computer taking advantage of the second drive. Configure that as a time capsule back drive.

The hardware is the same on both 2.66 GHz Intel Core Duo. Below are the hardware specs for the desk top I currently have:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MM41.0042.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.65f2
Serial Number (system): C07DX1GH
Hardware UUID: A58362F3-884A-540D-9D76-CF402C512DC0

I am wondering if any of these: could prevent me from using my Desk Top OS and bundle for the server:

Boot ROM Version: MM41.0042.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.65f2
Hardware UUID: A58362F3-884A-540D-9D76-CF402C512DC0

The Model Identifiers are the same for the server and the Desk Top I was able to discover that;
Model Identifier: Macmini4,1

Please advise, thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Greg

Last edited:

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Guess what I use as my desktop?

Yes its fine to use 'server' model. Differences are mainly the system comes with two drives as standard (saving the hassle of getting hird party kits to fit a second) and also has the server tools (on 10.8this is just a server.app) not sure on 10.7 but there is no problem using as desktop whatsoever.

Time machine works ok (ive had mine using the internal second hdd and the external without issue)

Now the big deal is trying to put your new software on the old hardware. I guess you have mountain lion? I dont know if the downloaded version properly supports installing direct on such an older machine.

Maybe your thread title should read 10.8 on a 2009 mac mini server or similar depending on the year of said server.

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
Mountain Lion ........ No thanks. I do not need the annoyance of the reminders and have no need for all the itoy functions. I'm a solid Snow Leopard guy, that will be the OS and bundle load. System disks I received with my present desk top would be the system and application source. As you know that means the gray CDs that came with my original Mini.

The server is advertised this way;
"OS CD is not included, OS Server 10.6 (discs included) installed, Macmini4.1"

Want too reformat the drives, install the system and application using the gray CDs that were sent for the desk top mini.

See any issues with that idea?

Greg

Last edited:

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Unless your disks are for the same model (eg mac mini 4,1) then they will likely fail.

You could find someone with a retail leopard to borrow for the install perhaps.

Darby67

macrumors 6502
I agree with costabunny regarding parity in model with packaged OS disks.

I believe minimum OS for 2011 Mini is Lion. This perhaps may be modified with cetain files, no idea which, moved on from SL and have not looked back in some time.

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
Unless your disks are for the same model (eg mac mini 4,1) then they will likely fail.

You could find someone with a retail leopard to borrow for the install perhaps.

I agree with you if the Model Identifiers: are different that could be a problem. From my desk top get info it has a comma between the 4&1. The reseller's advertised model id has a period between the 4&1, that could be a fat finger. I am hoping someone with a mini server, 2.66 Ghz intel Core 2 Duo will chime in check their Hardware Overview: and post the Model Identifier for the server.

Sounds like this model Identifier today was once called system enabler, back in the OS 8&9 days, do I have that right?

According to what I have discovered both machines are the same :
Model Identifier: Macmini4,1, just questing the 4,1 and the 4.1.

Kind regards,
Greg

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
sounds like you might be ok then - as long as there is no server=true kinda identifier involved.

Dont know enough about the server versions and wether they identify themselves physically different to desktop units or not.

x fingers its fine for you

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
sounds like you might be ok then - as long as there is no server=true kinda identifier involved.

Dont know enough about the server versions and wether they identify themselves physically different to desktop units or not.

x fingers its fine for you

LOL trying to figure it out before I order, thanks for your input.

Cheers,
Greg

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
For anyone that wishes to know after chasing this down it seems that the Model Identifier back in the day, was known as the system enabler. As long as the Model Identifier is the same for any given machine the gray cds OS and bundle will load and work. Working in the Unix world, now 10 years this kind of thing slips by ......... But the basic concept stays the same, only the name changed to add confusion as a part of the mix of knowledge.

Years ago 17, I did field service for Apple, we had restoration cd sets with the OS and bundle for each machine they produced performer, 9500 and so on. The key to scooping home brew configurations was the enabler id.

So it appears that the Mini Mac server with a standard desk top OS and bundle will be a desk top machine with some nice features. Someone asked about the price of the server, it is a used product I found online, the price is just north of 600, with 8 gb memory and 1 terabyte storage.

Now waiting for the Doug the IPS guy to stumble by.

Cheers and thank you for you input.

Greg

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
As an FYI, Macmini4,1 is the Mid 2010 Mac mini and Mac mini Server.

Macmini5,1 is Mid 2011 and Macmini5,3 is Mid 2011 Server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.