Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:08 AM   #1
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Google Chrome Keychain prompt?

For the past month or so every now and again I get this prompt when using Chrome

Does anyone know why, and what it is referring to. So far I've clicked deny as I don't know what it is, not do I know what a keychain is. I've noticed that if I click deny I have to re-enter my Gmail password to access my emails, so am assuming it's something to do with this. Is it safe to click allow? How do I stop the prompt appearing?

Cheers

Last edited by snerkler; Mar 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Edit: Pics removed due to photobucket issues
snerkler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:28 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
For the past month or so every now and again I get this prompt when using Chrome

Does anyone know why, and what it is referring to. So far I've clicked deny as I don't know what it is, not do I know what a keychain is. I've noticed that if I click deny I have to re-enter my Gmail password to access my emails, so am assuming it's something to do with this. Is it safe to click allow? How do I stop the prompt appearing?
Your Mac stores app and website login and password information in the Keychain. Chrome is asking for access to your stored passwords, so you don't have to keep re-entering them.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:01 AM   #3
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Your Mac stores app and website login and password information in the Keychain. Chrome is asking for access to your stored passwords, so you don't have to keep re-entering them.
Thanks for the reply. Are there any security risks with this if I click always allow? Is it just google passwords (ie gmail etc) or is it everything such as banking?

Has this replaced the 'banner' pop up when Chrome asks if you want it to "remember password for this site"?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:07 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Are there any security risks with this if I click always allow? Is it just google passwords (ie gmail etc) or is it everything such as banking?
Keychain can store login information for any apps or websites you choose. For example, it can store your email account information for Mail.app as well as passwords for online financial sites. Be aware that some financial sites won't prompt you to remember passwords, so those won't be stored in Keychain. It depends on the site. Just like any other sensitive information you have stored on your computer, there is no security risk, as long as you don't give anyone access to your computer. You can also password-protect access to your Keychain info. The Keychain Access app is in your /Applications/Utilities folder.
Quote:
Has this replaced the 'banner' pop up when Chrome asks if you want it to "remember password for this site"?
No, it hasn't replaced that. If you click to allow that, the login and password is stored for that site.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:00 AM   #5
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Keychain can store login information for any apps or websites you choose. For example, it can store your email account information for Mail.app as well as passwords for online financial sites. Be aware that some financial sites won't prompt you to remember passwords, so those won't be stored in Keychain. It depends on the site. Just like any other sensitive information you have stored on your computer, there is no security risk, as long as you don't give anyone access to your computer. You can also password-protect access to your Keychain info. The Keychain Access app is in your /Applications/Utilities folder.

No, it hasn't replaced that. If you click to allow that, the login and password is stored for that site.
Thanks again. I'm not sure which site/app it's related to to be honest as I always set chrome to open up where I left off and usually have several tabs open. I think I'll turn off the preference for now and see which site the keychain is linked to. My suspicions are that it's gmail though.

I've just gone into the keychain app in utilities to try and learn a bit more about it, but it's like reading a foreign language to be honest. I think I need to do a search for a dummies guide to keychains

Thanks again.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:06 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
I think I need to do a search for a dummies guide to keychains.
The following links may help. Don't worry if some of the articles are a bit older, as not much has changed in Keychain since they were written.

How to manage passwords with Keychain Access
Getting to know your Mac: Keychain Access
Keychain Access in OS X Mountain Lion - For Dummies
Mac 101: Using Keychain Access to remember the password you forgot
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:09 AM   #7
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The following links may help. Don't worry if some of the articles are a bit older, as not much has changed in Keychain since they were written.

How to manage passwords with Keychain Access
Getting to know your Mac: Keychain Access
Keychain Access in OS X Mountain Lion - For Dummies
Mac 101: Using Keychain Access to remember the password you forgot
Thanks a bunch. I'll be sure to read these tonight

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store