Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I am looking for a low cost Large Disk solution for my itunes media. It does not have to be fancy or fast, it will only be storing all my ripped DVD's in RipIt format, and the movies after I encode them.

It needs to be 4-6GB prefer 6GB, and it will be offline 75% of the time. Right now I am using a bunch of 2GB Seagate external USB 3.0 GoFlex drives and finding movies across 3-4 drives is annoying.

Prefer it to have USB 3.0 ports and if not at least a FW800 port, USB 2.0 is very slow.

BigAudio

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
I am looking for a low cost Large Disk solution for my itunes media. It does not have to be fancy or fast, it will only be storing all my ripped DVD's in RipIt format, and the movies after I encode them.

It needs to be 4-6GB prefer 6GB, and it will be offline 75% of the time. Right now I am using a bunch of 2GB Seagate external USB 3.0 GoFlex drives and finding movies across 3-4 drives is annoying.

Prefer it to have USB 3.0 ports and if not at least a FW800 port, USB 2.0 is very slow.

Tall order. Personally I have a drobo. Not the cheapest solution, but with the ability to hot swap drives, it works pretty well for me. I had a first gen one that got stuck at max 2 tb drives. The 2nd gen goes to 4 tb. But the empty box is 400. The advantage is, you can start with 2 drives, and grow from there. But, with its data redundancy, it always shows you the total summed drive, minus the biggest one. So two 3tb drives gives you 3 tb. three 3tb drives gives you 6 tb. I know a lot of people also have good luck with the Synology DiskStation's, but I dont know anything personally with those.

Good Luck!

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
As you get into this, keep in mind that a RAID solution isn't a substitute for having a backup of your data. It gives you protection against failed hard drives, but the raid hardware/software itself can and does fail, leaving you with quite a mess.

Fortunately, my media collection still fits comfortably on a 3 TB drive, so I have two of those and keep them in sync with ChronoSync. Total cost is less than $300, and I'm backed up with 100% redundancy.

If you need double that amount of storage, I would probably get a couple of dual drive enclosures and run them in JBOD mode so the two drives in each enclosure look like one larger drive.

Last edited:

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Yeah had a drobo, but it was loud and generated a lot of heat and at the time, was only avail with 4 1-TB drives, I would need (4) 2TB drives now, but by the time you are done with Drobo $300-500 and 4 drives $150 each, the cost is very high.

I guess I will have to breakdown and get a MyBook with 6 GB

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Yeah had a drobo, but it was loud and generated a lot of heat and at the time, was only avail with 4 1-TB drives, I would need (4) 2TB drives now, but by the time you are done with Drobo $300-500 and 4 drives $150 each, the cost is very high.

I guess I will have to breakdown and get a MyBook with 6 GB

I'm not sure how safe I would feel with this, but... You can use disc utility to create a Concatenated Disk Set, which is essentially JBOD, to make your various existing externals appear to be a single larger volume. This is on the "RAID" tab in disk utility and should be available when you select one of your externals. Just drag each of the externals into the big box, give the raid set a name, and click create...

I have no idea if this is going to be a destructive operation (reformatting the underlying drives) or not. If you already have a good backup of all the drives, this might be a cheap way to to simplify your volume management...

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I'm not sure how safe I would feel with this, but... You can use disc utility to create a Concatenated Disk Set, which is essentially JBOD, to make your various existing externals appear to be a single larger volume. This is on the "RAID" tab in disk utility and should be available when you select one of your externals. Just drag each of the externals into the big box, give the raid set a name, and click create...

I have no idea if this is going to be a destructive operation (reformatting the underlying drives) or not. If you already have a good backup of all the drives, this might be a cheap way to to simplify your volume management...

Problem is all my data is on the drives now, I need a whole new solution to move this data to before trying this option but thanks

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010

How many DVDs do you have?! I have about 900 ripped and converted and those only take up around 1TB. I then have over 300 BDs converted and those take up closer to 3TBs at the moment. I do have full disc images saved for most of these on a smattering of scattered HDDs like yourself.

I currently use a Lacie 6TB Thunderbolt RAID HDD. Its been great (little noisy, but the iMac is so dang quiet). You might want to look at Synology NAS, but I feel you really should be looking at the Promise Pegasus. Its damn costly, but such a nice device. I lucked out and scored my 6TB Lacie for $370 refurbed, but I haven't found any others out there since then.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
How many DVDs do you have?! I have about 900 ripped and converted and those only take up around 1TB. I then have over 300 BDs converted and those take up closer to 3TBs at the moment. I do have full disc images saved for most of these on a smattering of scattered HDDs like yourself.

I currently use a Lacie 6TB Thunderbolt RAID HDD. Its been great (little noisy, but the iMac is so dang quiet). You might want to look at Synology NAS, but I feel you really should be looking at the Promise Pegasus. Its damn costly, but such a nice device. I lucked out and scored my 6TB Lacie for $370 refurbed, but I haven't found any others out there since then.
Isn't the OP looking for "low cost"? ;)

jeff051177

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2011
I was in the same position as you. Went round-and-round with the various options.... but settled on a synology DS411J.

It's been rock-solid so far, and I could re-use all of the HDDs that I already had. I think the barebones unit was about 250 gbp (I think). Took a bit of juggling to get everything on there without losing what was already on the drives - but I had a spare HDD hanging about.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
The cheapest reliable solution you're going to find that has the ability of providing redundancy is the OWC Mercury Elite. It's $260 for the enclosure, plus the cost of drives. 3TB HDDs are running around $140 at the moment, 2TB around $20 less.

Alternatively, you could go for something like the 6TB WD MyBook. You get 6TB of storage at less upfront cost than building an array, but you lose redundancy.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
The cheapest reliable solution you're going to find that has the ability of providing redundancy is the OWC Mercury Elite. It's $260 for the enclosure, plus the cost of drives. 3TB HDDs are running around $140 at the moment, 2TB around $20 less.

Alternatively, you could go for something like the 6TB WD MyBook. You get 6TB of storage at less upfront cost than building an array, but you lose redundancy.

I would do this route, copy all your media to it and then use your existing drives as back up clones. Just set Carbon Copy Cloner to move specific directories to specific drives and set up a back up routine to clone them once a month or so. Label each drive and store it somewhere. Then you have one single NAS drive for your on demand use and a nice back up solution with your cloned drives for under $400.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole

Take a look at the ReadyNAS duo. I have one but not USB3 like the model I referred you to. It is inexpensive and will allow you to replace the discs as your needs grow. It has several RAID options.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
Take a look at the ReadyNAS duo. I have one but not USB3 like the model I referred you to. It is inexpensive and will allow you to replace the discs as your needs grow. It has several RAID options.

If the OP is looking for at least 6TB of storage, a 2-bay enclosure isn't all that practical. Even though that particular unit has X-RAID2 which permits expanding the array with drives of larger capacity, it still functions as RAID1, effectively limiting you to 4TB of useable storage.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
If the OP is looking for at least 6TB of storage, a 2-bay enclosure isn't all that practical. Even though that particular unit has X-RAID2 which permits expanding the array with drives of larger capacity, it still functions as RAID1, effectively limiting you to 4TB of useable storage.

4GB was the lower end of the OP's range and this is about the lowest cost solution out there I found.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA

The thing that's not practical is forcing RAID into the solution. Much better to get a simple two-drive enclosure, set it up as JBOD to get one large volume, then duplicate that for a backup.

RAID is not backup. If the RAID controller or firmware fails (and they do) you are left with a mess.

Last edited:

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
The thing that's not practical is forcing RAID into the solution. Much better to get a simple two-drive enclosure, set it up as JBOD to get one large volume, then duplicate that for a backup.

RAID is not backup. If the RAID controller or firmware fails (and they do) you are left with a mess.

Agreed, especially when you're only talking a two-drive solution. That being said, RAID5 is nice to have in a 4-drive array to provide some semblance of protection should one of the HDDs fail. Obviously it's not a proper backup, but it's "only" movies. They can always be re-ripped. That's how I feel about my personal media collection anyway.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
You could get a Power Mac G4. The single processor ones don't use much power, and most PMG4s. All G4s support at least 4, with some earlier models supporting 5. The later models had FW800; all of them can get it with PCI cards. The only thing is that you have to get a SATA card, as the G4s use IDE otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.