Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:34 AM   #1
eric/

Name Changes

Does anybody here have experience changing their last name? I've been thinking about doing this because I don't like the one I currently have. I know that it's probably going to be a headache. I've been thinking about changing it back to the name of the first person in my family lineage to immigrate to America. I think it would be pretty cool.

Any experience with this? Did you find it worthwhile or more trouble than it's worth?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:39 AM   #2
balamw

It probably depends on location, so if you do have experience with it please indicate where it was.

I suspect that given that married women do it often enough it really can't be all that difficult.

I don't have direct experience myself, but a friend and his wife did by combining their surnames into a new one without doing the whole hyphen thing.

B
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:40 AM   #3
samiwas
macrumors 65816

I don't know if its different for when women get married and generally take a new name. My wife finally changed hers recently, and it wasn't that hard. A lot of forms and stuff, but nothing you wouldn't expect. She used some website that helped with all the forms, but I'm away from home right now and don't know what it was.
samiwas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Papanate
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Does anybody here have experience changing their last name? I've been thinking about doing this because I don't like the one I currently have. I know that it's probably going to be a headache. I've been thinking about changing it back to the name of the first person in my family lineage to immigrate to America. I think it would be pretty cool.

Any experience with this? Did you find it worthwhile or more trouble than it's worth?
You go to court and change it. You don't need a lawyer to handle the myriad of paperwork - but it helps.

The downside is your history with credit etc...it takes a while to get it switched over. And new credit (like buying a car) is sometimes difficult as your old name will populate the credit reporting while the new name will climb slowly. But in the scheme of things - it is like a name change when you get married.

With that said - why legal change it...why not just change it amount you and your friends.
Papanate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:43 AM   #5
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
The cost might be a bigger problem than the hassle.

I am not from the US, I tried to change my name as well, I have 4 christian names, two middle ones and a surname and it's a pain in the behind in the immigration where I live now.
BUT, it would cost me 5000 Euro, no way I am going to pay that much.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:48 AM   #6
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post

I am not from the US, I tried to change my name as well, I have 4 christian names, two middle ones and a surname and it's a pain in the behind in the immigration where I live now.
Wow that's a lot of money.

I don't think it costs nearly that much here in the U.S..

I'm in Ohio, from what I've seen you pretty much show up in court and as long as you aren't doing it for fradualent purposes (which I'm not) than it's no problem fill out the paperwork.

But obviously that's way easier said than done. I'm still young too. I have good credit and it's been building for awhile now. That's the kind of stuff I'm worried about. Or getting it changed through the university and whatnot.

I don't want to do it among friends because that kind of makes it seem less legitimate to me. I would want it to be official and final.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post

That figure is completely out of the realm of reasonable. It's just a couple of forms and some info typed into a data base. I assume it would be on the individual to contact his creditors and such, shoot them the certificate advising of the new name and that is it.

I wonder if there is a concern that name changing might be used as a vehicle to ditch one's old debts?
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:13 AM   #8
balamw

Changing your name should not change your SSN, so why would it have an impact on credit stuff? Again women who marry do this often. No?

It just adds an a.k.a. Married couples who don't share a last name end up with a similar problem. Mr. Wifeslastname and Mrs. Husbandslastname aren't legal names, but show up in credit searches.

B
balamw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:35 AM   #9
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
Changing your name should not change your SSN, so why would it have an impact on credit stuff? Again women who marry do this often. No?

It just adds an a.k.a. Married couples who don't share a last name end up with a similar problem. Mr. Wifeslastname and Mrs. Husbandslastname aren't legal names, but show up in credit searches.

B
Well idk about it changing the SSN, but you do have your SSN tied to your name, so would your SSN not change and they would just send you a new card with your new name on it?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:47 AM   #10
balamw

Quote:
Well idk about it changing the SSN, but you do have your SSN tied to your name, so would your SSN not change and they would just send you a new card with your new name on it?
Generally your SSN would not change, but the name on your SSN card would and you would need a new one.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...-security-card

B
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:52 AM   #11
eric/

Quote:
Generally your SSN would not change, but the name on your SSN card would and you would need a new one.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...-security-card

B
Cool, that's what I was thinking. Thanks that helps.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:40 AM   #12
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:

B
It does not have any long term effects on your credit history. It often does have short term issues as things get repopulated with the correct information.

It mostly an issue while you are in the lag time between it getting updated.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:51 AM   #13
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
It does not have any long term effects on your credit history. It often does have short term issues as things get repopulated with the correct information.
Yeah, I probably wouldn't change my name if I was about to (few months) apply for a home loan or anything major like that.

B
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:16 PM   #14
balamw

And just don't do what this guy did without dotting the eyes and crossing the tees.

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-mans-l...202743787.html

Quote:
The DMV stripped Boca Raton real estate investor Lazaro Dinh, 40, of his license in December after he changed his last name from Sopena to help his wife's Vietnamese family perpetuate their family surname.
B
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:13 PM   #15
eric/

Yeah I would definitely do everything I could to make sure that kind of thing didn't happen.

I guess now I have some reservations about doing it, mainly having to deal with people asking why, or maybe my parents wondering what has got into me.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:22 PM   #16
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Yeah I would definitely do everything I could to make sure that kind of thing didn't happen.

I guess now I have some reservations about doing it, mainly having to deal with people asking why, or maybe my parents wondering what has got into me.
I never pegged you as one to give a flip about what others thought...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:31 PM   #17
4JNA
macrumors 68000

had a family member do it due to divorce. she went through about 4-6 months worth of paper work, at not much cost, and has been really happy with the change. she also went with a 'first generation' last name. she says '2 thumbs up'.

when my wife and i got married, we both kept our own names because my wife would have needed to spend a crazy amount of time/money to fix/correct license/legal/documents. as a compromise, our two boys have her last name as their middle name, and my last name because that's how the US system is setup. works well so far. best of luck.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:51 AM   #18
niuniu
Banned

Name changes only cost around 15 dollars in the UK, done in a day. From your comments there seems to be some stigma behind it in the States, or maybe you're just overplaying it in your head. Maybe name changes are more common here. People simply do it because they don't like their name..
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:23 AM   #19
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
I never pegged you as one to give a flip about what others thought...
Ha. It depends. Mostly in cases such as this it's just dealing with people caring.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:46 AM   #20
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I suspect that given that married women do it often enough it really can't be all that difficult.
Unfortunately the laws in many places make it easier for married women to change their last names compared to any other case.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:30 AM   #21
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Here's the Ohio statute re name change:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2717.01

You get the application from the probate court, fill out the form and pay whatever fee they charge, publish the application (and pay the publication fee), wait for 30 days, and it's done.
Aspasia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:32 AM   #22
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
Here's the Ohio statute re name change:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2717.01

You get the application from the probate court, fill out the form and pay whatever fee they charge, publish the application (and pay the publication fee), wait for 30 days, and it's done.
Wow thank you. I'll use that as a reference if I decide to go through with it.

+1
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:28 PM   #23
snberk103
macrumors 603

Couple of other things to keep in mind, in terms of keeping ID up to date.

Your birth certificate will be in your old name. If you ever apply for something that needs a birth certificate you will also need to include the name change. But... just to get a up-to-date copy of your birth certificate you have a whole other section of a form to fill out if you have changed your name. After you change your name, my suggestion is to apply for a new birth certificate before you need it to avoid processing delays.

Don't forget your passport. If you have one, remember to change it. If you don't have one, well - you are going to need a birth certificate.... see above.

Same thing for any marriage licenses, etc.

School transcripts as well.

Keep in mind that applying for copies of some of these documents under a new name may delay the processing, so you may want to get them now. It can be done... but there is more paperwork for you and for them so that can slow things done.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:22 PM   #24
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
Name changes only cost around 15 dollars in the UK, done in a day. From your comments there seems to be some stigma behind it in the States, or maybe you're just overplaying it in your head. Maybe name changes are more common here. People simply do it because they don't like their name..
You don't have to pay at all in the UK. Not for the name change itself anyway. There's a website which sells deed polls for around 25 a pop and while they do work, you can find free templates online to fill out which are just as valid. In the UK you just draw up the document, sign it, get an independent witness to sign it, then print off multiple copies and send them to your bank, the tax man, etc. and you're sorted.

The only expensive bit is if you want to renew your passport with your new name straight away since you have to pay around 80 for new passports. Same might go for driving licenses.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:33 PM   #25
G-Mo
macrumors 6502

My name was legally changed (by the Ontario/Canadian government) when I was adopted... I have no idea what my original name was.
G-Mo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion