Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:19 AM   #1
fasterthanfiber
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 - Black, several marks

Hi Guys,

I purchased a 16gb Black iPhone 5 from "EE" in the UK and had nothing but issues. Opened the first phone and there was a mark on the back below the Apple logo, second box had a mark on the chamfer near the volume buttons and the NEXT ONE had a mark in the gap between the black casing and top silver (looks like glue)

So I took the last one under the assumption it's glue and it's still not come out yet - why is Apple getting so bad at quality? or could it be people like EE recycling phones to other customers "less fussy"? does this even happen?

When you are paying for one of the most (if not, the) expensive phone on the market today - you should not have to expect marks on the phone.
fasterthanfiber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:22 AM   #2
MattMJB0188
macrumors 68000

Does it even surprise this is still happening?
MattMJB0188 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:24 AM   #3
fasterthanfiber
macrumors newbie

What gets me annoyed is if Android had half the design quality of iPhones I would buy one but there is nothing that really competes with the design and quality feel of Apple. Which is a shame as every day that passes I become less fond of Apple.
fasterthanfiber is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:43 AM   #4
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

What week number is your iPhone 5 !

I got mine direct from the meadowhall apple store in Nov 12 and is a week 39 no issues.

I honestly think you've been unlucky.

Apple have been known to swap out marked iPhones at the genius Barr.

Looking at the bigger picture it will accrue wear and tear. Using a bumper case etc is an alternative.
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:30 AM   #5
cruzmisl
macrumors regular

Why was the glue "mark" an issue?

It's just excess glue that you could get rid of with your fingernail.
cruzmisl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:31 AM   #6
El3ctronics
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterthanfiber View Post
What gets me annoyed is if Android had half the design quality of iPhones I would buy one but there is nothing that really competes with the design and quality feel of Apple. Which is a shame as every day that passes I become less fond of Apple.
HTC One X+?
El3ctronics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Chuck-Norris
Banned

pics or it didnt happen
Chuck-Norris is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:11 PM   #8
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I think people are just expecting a lot of Apple now since they set the bar so high.

I for one never had an issue with my 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, but with my 5, it has been replaced twice for WiFi and LTE issues, as well as marks all over the phone.

Still even with the issues, the screen is Super Superior to any phones out on the market, and that is why I keep the IP5
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:29 PM   #9
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I purchased a 16gb Black iPhone 5 from "EE" in the UK and had nothing but issues. Opened the first phone and there was a mark on the back below the Apple logo, second box had a mark on the chamfer near the volume buttons and the NEXT ONE had a mark in the gap between the black casing and top silver (looks like glue)

So I took the last one under the assumption it's glue and it's still not come out yet - why is Apple getting so bad at quality? or could it be people like EE recycling phones to other customers "less fussy"? does this even happen?

When you are paying for one of the most (if not, the) expensive phone on the market today - you should not have to expect marks on the phone.
If you saw them take the shrink wrap off a retail boxed iPhone then its not a refurb or a return. I noticed some blue material in between the glass and the edge on my white iPhone 5 and was able to simply remove it with my fingernail. I think it was excess adhesive of some kind. The strange thing is that it appeared only after about two weeks.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone