Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
And if so, do you find yourself feeling that it's lacking?

I have never had an iPhone before, despite being an Apple guy. I bought a couple 5's last week for my wife and I, but took them back after I learned some new issues with Straight Talk.

My Verizon upgrade isn't until May 31st, but I have to get rid of my Android, which takes 15 to 20 seconds to just make a call.

Seeing a lot of iPhone 4's on Craigslist for $200. Figured I could get one and use it until my upgrade.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Still using an iPhone 4 and everything's working flawlessly. The home button might become an issue at some point, but it is possible to clean it with alcohol (search YouTube for 'alcohol iPhone home button' or something along those lines).

iOS 6 is the most fluid operating system for the iPhone 4 if you ask me. And if you don't need a phone to play games with or run other graphic-heavy apps, then the 4 should be just fine. It is a very sturdy phone - I've dropped it countless times and even threw it across the kitchen against the oven in anger once and yet there's not once scratch on the display, just the back cover has got a couple of scratches but I don't care.
Again, if you need a phone as a phone/email/light browsing device, the 4 will suit you just fine I think.

Edit: Oh, and even though I wrote it above, the iPhone 4 can easily manage a lot of games - I just never play any. Still, it should be able to run almost any application. It's not a slouch at all...

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I wouldn't suggest anyone lock themselves into a 2-year subsidized iPhone 4 right now. But if you're finding good deals online and are thinking of upgrading to a newer phone in the fall, then yeah, I don't think you'll regret it.

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
my 4 is still good after 2 years, 2nd hand its an excellent deal

even a 3gs is a good start and cost hardly anything now, i got my parents a pair of 3gs/32 phones for £80, a massive upgrade from their early 2000's nokias

cost isn't an issue to buy into :apple: anymore :D

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Thanks guys...off the recommendation of a friend, I called Verizon and they gave me an early upgrade. Wouldn't do it on the 5, but they gave me the 4s.

It gets here tomorrow.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
my 4 is still good after 2 years, 2nd hand its an excellent deal

even a 3gs is a good start and cost hardly anything now, i got my parents a pair of 3gs/32 phones for £80, a massive upgrade from their early 2000's nokias

cost isn't an issue to buy into :apple: anymore :D
I wouldn't do a 3GS, my mom still has one and it feels really really slow. 4 at the minimum

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I still have my 4, still going strong after two years. Will likely upgrade this year, and get a 5 or 5S or whatever they call it. Only thing I really would like is more memory, got the 32 GB and 64 looks tempting-plus the battery is not quite what it was when I got it-though I must say it is still quite good.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I still use my iPhone 4 as an iPod Touch since getting my iPhone 5. Other than speed, it still works great.

My wife and I got iPhone 5's on launch day, and our kids inherited our iPhone 4's to use as an iPod Touch. They had our 3G's before that, so the 4's feel like upgrades to them. They still work great... and our kids love them.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
And if so, do you find yourself feeling that it's lacking?

I have never had an iPhone before, despite being an Apple guy. I bought a couple 5's last week for my wife and I, but took them back after I learned some new issues with Straight Talk.

My Verizon upgrade isn't until May 31st, but I have to get rid of my Android, which takes 15 to 20 seconds to just make a call.

Seeing a lot of iPhone 4's on Craigslist for $200. Figured I could get one and use it until my upgrade.

That is a good idea if you want to test the eco-system before investing in an iPhone 5! Buying one outright will let you know if you like the setup of an iPhone because really, the 5 doesn't work much different, just has some features that the iPhone 4 does not (LTE, Siri, better screen, etc).

Before I upgraded to 5 (primary reason LTE) I was telling myself to live with the 4 off contract as long as I could, but the upgrade was just tugging at me so I pulled the trigger.

Main things I was not liking on the 4 by the end was...

- Perceived lag when scrolling between screens (iOS 6 mainly), slower app loads, slower internet browsing (3g, not LTE)

- My home button began to stop working, even after doing the software reset trick

- The screen colors looked duller and dim when compared to an iPhone 5 at the same brightness settings. IMHO, the full brightness on the iPhone 4 is about 60% setting on the 5. The 5, while some say is warmer or too yellow, looks a hell of a lot better to me. The 4's screen tends to be cooler or maybe even has truer whites.

- Small thing, but may be a factor. The iPhone 4 design starting to show its age. It isn't the slimest or lightest phone by any stretch of the imagination.

All things considered, if you can get one for 200 bucks and live with it until May, then sell it then, you'll probably enjoy it, but with some sacrifices to the usability (in my opinion).

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
Glad I got rid of the iPhone 4 and immediately jumped to the 4S right when it was offered. I hated using a case on the iPhone 4. I had numerous dropped calls and no service when I held the phone on the bottom left. "Antenna-gate" was what people called it before.

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Here is sort of a shady question...so when I get the 4s delivered...what if I take it to the store and say I want to exchange it for the 5... do they have any way of knowing that I was restricted from the 5.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Here is sort of a shady question...so when I get the 4s delivered...what if I take it to the store and say I want to exchange it for the 5... do they have any way of knowing that I was restricted from the 5.

Without knowing your standing as far as upgrades, this is hard to answer.

If your android phone contract is ending, you should be eligible for any phone after that.

If you buy a iPhone 4s used that won't go towards your upgrade status with Verizon!

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
My wife and I got iPhone 5's on launch day, and our kids inherited our iPhone 4's to use as an iPod Touch. They had our 3G's before that, so the 4's feel like upgrades to them. They still work great... and our kids love them.

That's awesome. I've been considering giving old iPhones to family members as well. I want to give my iPhone 4 to my mom but it usually takes me a while be complete transition from on device to another. Hell, I was using my original iPhone the entire time I was using my iPhone 4. And since I don't use my original iPhone as much, I could give that to my mom and that would actually be an upgrade from the "smartphone" she has now haha.

----------

Be sure you do this at a Verizon store and not at Apple.

*Full disclosure, I am currently holding a long position in AAPL.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
Assuming the CS rep properly left a note on your account, they'll see that you were offered an early upgrade for the 4S but not the 5.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Where I work in IT, a lot of folks around me are getting the 4 as their upgrade bc they are not big into phones and with iOS 6 it just works perfectly even though I think you would be better off spending $99 for the 4S.

You get double the space, a phone with better WiFi, networking, speed, and especially the camera, I so do miss my 32GB White 4S even though I have a Black 5 now, it was and still is a good phone either way 4 or 4S

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Wouldn't I have to take it to a verizon store anyway since I bought it there

----------

Without knowing your standing as far as upgrades, this is hard to answer.

If your android phone contract is ending, you should be eligible for any phone after that.

If you buy a iPhone 4s used that won't go towards your upgrade status with Verizon!

You missed another post of mine...verizon agreed to give me an early upgrade...but woulodnt do it on 5...just 4s

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Unless you have a specific need, an iPhone 4 should be fine.

I was using an original iPhone till just 2 months ago.

SuperBrown

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Hollywoodland
Rocking the iPhone 4. Love it. My only complaints is that I wish it had better cameras, both front and back, and that it had Siri. Though I've found Siri knock-offs that have worked out all right (Evi and Vlingo).

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
I'm happy enough with mine. It does what I need it to do, like a good tool should. It isn't particularly good at the newest games, but if I wanted to seriously play iOS games I'd invest in an iPad Mini anyways.

Value is a relative thing, but for $150-200 used you won't do much better for a very useable product.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Guess it could never hurt to act dumb and go in and ask.

I usually send my girlfriend to do that type of thing. Since she actually doesn't care much for tech, she doesn't have to act the part. And in the past I've found she's more successful at this than I am. My theory is that it goes back to the stereotype that guys are supposed to be more knowledgeable about tech than women, so they're less willing to help me out (this isn't a knock against any women reading the forum!). In any case, I just use that to my advantage.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I'm still rocking my iPhone 4, being the first iPhone i've ever owned and saved up for. The iPhone 4S wasn't a big enough upgrade for me and the iPhone 5 isn't either (lol). Just look at the amount of people who think the iPhone 5 isn't much of an upgrade apart from a taller screen and slight change of design (which easily scratches).

Hopefully the next gen iPhone is enough to push to buy it and sell my iPhone 4.

My iPhone 4 is working perfectly fine and honestly do not feel that it is lagging in performance to meet the standard use. It's processor runs 95% of the apps fine and there isn't really a noticeable difference in performance for everyday tasks. Battery life is still very good and is probably as it was when I bought it from new. My home button does however seem slightly unresponsive at times when pressing it lightly.

My only slight 'gripes' are:

- Camera quality (seems to be poorer than others on the market and looks to have worsened since I bought it? Pictures seem a bit more grainy for some reason).

- Home button issue
- Lack of Siri (though, to be honest, I would rarely use Siri anyways)
- Not having full navigation features on the iPhone 4 on the native iOS Maps app. (Not so important when Google Maps app does provide full navigation, and does it better).

Other than that, I've had no problems with my phone and it's proven more scratch resistant than I thought. I'd say save yourself some dosh and go for the iPhone 4, at least until the next gen iPhone is released (if you plan to stick with Apple). ;)

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
The only reason I'm wanting the 5 (and this is the biggest thing that kept me away from iPhones for so long) was that I have bigger fingers, so it's hard to type.

Figured the 5 would be easier to type on than the 4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.