Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:54 AM   #226
Haswell
macrumors member

What does it matter how much the phone costs? It's the monthly fees that's the real problem. Why not just offer a data only plan for $30 a month and just make VoIP calls.
Haswell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:56 AM   #227
vmistery
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haswell View Post
What does it matter how much the phone costs? It's the monthly fees that's the real problem. Why not just offer a data only plan for $30 a month and just make VoIP calls.
Because this is for pay as you go users not on a contract. Very common here in the UK and elsewhere in the world.
vmistery is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:29 PM   #228
jshulman10
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Aesthetically. Parts wise - not that much different than other phones. Apple just had a larger profit margin.
I said premium. Premium does mean more powerful. Premium, is the product's quality as a whole.
jshulman10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:42 PM   #229
mcfrazieriv
macrumors member

Why are analysts employed anymore? Are they on the bloated government payroll?

mcfrazieriv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:45 PM   #230
InuNacho
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No emergency calls, at least here in the U.S.
InuNacho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:54 PM   #231
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Because the players like things "as is"- there's so much money in contracts and $100/month for AT&T, Verizon, etc. which in turn yields the surplus for them to pay Apple the fat subsidy so that we can seem to get a "free*" or cheap* iPhone when we sign up.

You're pitching a concept that would be much better for us consumers... but at AT&T, Verizon, etc's expense and thus Apple's expense too. The system is not about making things better for us if it costs the big companies money. But- as a fellow consumer- I do love the idea.

FYI: I went with a 4G Mini + earbuds with mic + talkatone & Skype to get there. So far, I've found free wifi so readily, I haven't needed to even pay the $30/month yet... and I don't feel like I'm really missing anything. For example, getting "what R U doin?" texts in real-time is not worth $100/month to me.
HobeSoundDarryl is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:16 PM   #232
sebastian...
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovscorpion12 View Post
The only thing that disapoints me is still using a 4" screen. 4.5, 5" is perfect.
I think the original 4S screen size is perfect. I'm waiting for Apple to create a premium and fast small iphone to replace my iphone 4s.
You can use your ipad mini if you want a bigger screen.
sebastian... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:22 PM   #233
coltman75
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
They did have a plastic Macbook. It was called the Macbook.
But it wasn't $600, it was $999. Before the iPad, everyone here was calling for Apple to make a $600 netbook because they thought that the netbooks were the future, and that no one would ever spend $1K on a notbook anymore.
coltman75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:07 AM   #234
Toadstall
macrumors newbie

Along for the ride

Ahh whatever, I thought I was making a stand when I didnt get i5 on launch day, and Ive finally caved in and got 64gb of lovliness.
Got white though - so now getting "birds phone" from colleagues (Sadsungs and HTC / BB owners)

So Im along for the ride - Ill probably buy it anyway.

ps. Who ever said "your'e not going anywhere" when I was bleeting about not wanting a larger phone - mmm appears you were right.
Toadstall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:39 AM   #235
RenoG
macrumors 65816

The question is, will this be released in North America (?)
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:51 AM   #236
Insulin Junkie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxhead138 View Post
Welcome to the Iphone-Meh
Or quite possibly the iPhone Meth... first Apple phone to be afforded by people who usually blow all their money on drugs, or something.

@leak: Plausible, don't care though. Right now iOS 7 is where my remaining interest in the company lies. Me personally, if they blow it, or add anymore features already provided by other companies in another vein effort to replace perfectly good stuff that's out there with their own inferior services, I'm going Droid, hell knows it's viable enough now, and certainly will be in 2 damned years from now when my iPhone 5 contract expires...
The only reason I didn't mind being locked into apple's ecosystem all these years is because everything they provided was actually better, smoother, ahead. This is no longer true, so why limit myself. I sure as hell know I'd rather drag and drop songs onto my device than faff around with iTunes, I know I wanna add the functionality I desire to my phone, have the ability to delete stock apps and I sure as hell miss the ability to set ringtones with a simple click, instead of cumbersome crap like Ringtonium and similar apps. I wanna be able to automatically add the radio recordings and songs I download off youtube with Brownees to the music app, and set the amount of time before the screen starts dimming, so I can actually use Flipboard without tapping the damn screen ever so often to brighten up the screen...
Insulin Junkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:32 AM   #237
Heavens Hammer
macrumors newbie

Why?

I guess now that Steve's gone they can move on to better
*cough*...

I mean inferior things.

Last edited by Heavens Hammer; Feb 3, 2013 at 10:37 AM.
Heavens Hammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 09:50 AM   #238
Visiblemode
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I don't understand this low cost thing. Isn't that what selling the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S is for???
The entire point of this is to migrate completely to the lightning connector and screen aspect ratio...two things you can't get from continued 4/4s production/sales.
Visiblemode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 08:18 PM   #239
OMAnders
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
wouldnt a low cost, contract free iPhone kill the iPod Touch?

anyway, if they do release one i predict multiple colors like on the iPod Touch (probably plastic) and the "high end" iPhone staying at the "classic" black and white.
I don't see how - I just got the new iphone touch and it's awesome having all the features of the iphone (essentially) without the damn phone itself.

My review - opened the box today....http://www.squidoo.com/apple-ipod-touch-new
OMAnders is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion