Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:26 PM   #101
mabhatter
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Am i the only one who thinks this is a waste of time? Isn't the 4S/4 more than sufficient for a low cost option?
1. This will be more durable... Able to take more knocks.
2. This will push all the pocket iOS devices to ONE screen size so Apple can make a new size for iPad mini.
3. It keeps the same guts as iPhone 5 which are twice as fast as 4s. But puts them in a cheaper wrapper that will make phone companies happier. Stamped metal or plastic backing removes the expensive machined aluminum, glass, and external antennas... The overly expensive fancy stuff distracting from iPhone just being a plain good phone... Like the 3GS was.
mabhatter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:26 PM   #102
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrhwkp3 View Post
This is completely anti apple. A cheaper version of a product to attract the budget people. That's not what they do. They innovate and create an awesome product that makes the low budget people pinch pennies to afford it. And they always do!
There always comes a point in the future revenue projections where the premium (priced) product-maker forecasts declining sales volumes because those that can buy their product have and those that will pinch pennies to also buy have too. Then the decision is to settle for that leveling off of growth that will follow or build something to expand the pond from which new buyers can be fished.

My guess, except via Ebay and black market imports, this product won't be sold here (in America). We're dumb enough to believe "Free*" is free and pay the premium (and then some) through a contract commitment.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:27 PM   #103
nagromme
macrumors G4

I find this plausible, at least. Plastic is weaker than metal, especially on sharp corners. So they'd likely change the sharp back edges of the iPhone to rounded contours of some kind.

The iPhone 3G/3GS was a terrific plastic iPhone design (other than being too slippery!) and other brands have perfectly decent plastic shells too. It seems like a near certainty that Apple would be planning a low-cost non-subsidized iPhone, at least for some parts of the world, just in CASE they need it.

They may not even know yet whether it will truly become a part of their offerings or not. (Just like they didn't initially know that OSX on Intel would be needed.) Apple works on lots of things, and they don't all see the light.

I won't predict whether a bottom-end iPhone sees the light, but I do believe it exists in the labs. (The details on it? They sound good but might just be guesses.)
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:27 PM   #104
canucksfan88
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
Who said contract free iPhone?
thats the whole point of a low-cost phone...to target the those who do not want a contract/carrier subsidies.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:27 PM   #105
sseaton1971
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltman75 View Post
I really, really doubt. Apple usually doesn't cater to low-end markets. If they did, we would have had a $600 plastic MacBook years ago.
We did have plastic MacBooks years ago... except they weren't $600!
sseaton1971 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:28 PM   #106
absurdamerica
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovscorpion12 View Post
I have said this in countless threads, but it seams Wall street does not seem to get it. The iPhone 4 & the 4S are being sold for much cheaper then the price they were at launch. The iPhone 5S will be the same price as every iPhone that has been released. $199.00 and up. The only thing that disapoints me is still using a 4" screen. 4.5, 5" is perfect.
Wall Street gets that the customer has the choice of a latest gen LTE android device at zero cost on contract or a year old Apple 3G device at zero cost on contract.

You can say there's no difference between the two, but obviously there's a case to be made that Apple's leaving money on the table.
absurdamerica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:28 PM   #107
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Sooo....Apple, the company obsessed with aluminum and glass, obsessed with thin and light are going to make a thicker plastic iPhone? Not feeling it.

How much would the price of the iPod touch go up if they added cellular capabilities to it?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:29 PM   #108
M-O
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman23 View Post
wont happen, the cheapest ipod touch is $299 and this would undercut that.
or replace it, which I would completely welcome.
M-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:29 PM   #109
saturn88
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
My guess, except via Ebay and black market imports, this product won't be sold here (in America). We're dumb enough to believe "Free*" is free and pay the premium (and then some) through a contract commitment.
It may be sold as prepaid phone
saturn88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:31 PM   #110
BMcCoy
macrumors 6502

No, it's just the same situation as we have seen with iPhone prototype rumors before.

This phone probably does exist, as a prototype, like the other ones we've seen, but never officially released.. (Like the teardrop 5).

Apple probably has dozens of different prototypes on the go.

But the releases and timelines are the final decisions, made by Cook, and we won't know what those will be until a few weeks before, when the pics from the assembly factories really get into gear.
BMcCoy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:32 PM   #111
CJM
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltman75 View Post
I really, really doubt. Apple usually doesn't cater to low-end markets. If they did, we would have had a $600 plastic MacBook years ago.
Haha... We did.
CJM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:35 PM   #112
vmistery
macrumors regular

Won't it just be an iPod touch + cellular? It's already much cheaper. Just add 50 on?
vmistery is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:35 PM   #113
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn88 View Post
It may be sold as prepaid phone
Maybe. I really think this rumored phone would be aimed at countries like India, China, etc... places where for what we American's will blow on a single night out on the town equals a month or two total salary for some hard worker. Here, I think we're too easily suckered (conditioned) into the subsidy and "as long as I can make the monthly payment" mentality to deliver a genuinely better deal for us consumers. The various players like it "as is" too much.

But I'll hope with you... if for nothing else, the market of those here who will never pay the $2000+ for an iPhone + service "as is". That's a big market in and of itself.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:35 PM   #114
ObjectiveV
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrodbcall View Post
This actually makes total sense to me. By replacing the 4s with the budget phone, Apple is able to make a complete transition if screen size. All phones being sold will be 4", which will let them utilize the space in the upcoming ios update. Maybe they will incorporate the taller app switcher that has been floating around?

Also, it would complete the change to the new charger/synch cable. The consistency may be worth any extra RD costs.
Exactly! It's just filling in the generation gap.

I wonder if this will be a one off item then as the 5 becomes the more affordable option.
ObjectiveV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:36 PM   #115
samcraig
macrumors G5

My only take is that it's funny they might be making a low(er) budget iPhone and yet keeping the high cost/proprietary custom cable.
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:37 PM   #116
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Am i the only one who thinks this is a waste of time? Isn't the 4S/4 more than sufficient for a low cost option?
Apple might want everyone on their new display size, it might feature necessary tech for other regions that isn't in the 4, Apple might want more people using their new port/cable, more future proof for the next iOS, etc.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:40 PM   #117
Spungoflex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabhatter View Post
2. This will push all the pocket iOS devices to ONE screen size so Apple can make a new size for iPad mini.
The ipad mini will not have a new size. ipads will continue to be 4:3.
Spungoflex is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:44 PM   #118
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

TBH - depending on the unlocked price, this might make for a great backup phone.....

I know if I break my iPhone, I can pay the $250 (and I can't see this cheap iPhone being THAT cheap unsubsidized), but if I were to ever lose or have my phone stolen, I would be stuck paying a huge amount for a new one.

That would free me up to sell my current phone for the new one every year, instead of holding on to it like I currently do for backup purposes.

Not just third world countries targeted here!

Biggest question is (as others have pointed out): wouldn't this cannibalize the iPod touch? Depending on price that is...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
My only take is that it's funny they might be making a low(er) budget iPhone and yet keeping the high cost/proprietary custom cable.
If they give you one, who cares? The moaning about the cable is honestly one of the dumbest reasons to complain about the iPhone I've heard....

And now you know, given they just created a new (more durable I might add) cable/connector, that the cable they provide will work for the next decade +.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:45 PM   #119
dazed
macrumors 6502a

Wish it had the 4S form factor.
dazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:47 PM   #120
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8281 View Post
I don't understand this complaint. Cars are offered with different options. GM doesn't tell you to buy a $100,000 Corvette if you only want to spend $50,000, thus they offer various models.

Maybe people don't want to buy a year (or years) old phone when whey could spend the money on something newer.
Wow. Comparing apples to oranges on that one.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:52 PM   #121
baryon
macrumors 68030

I don't see how this is "low cost" as it's not really thicker than the iPhone 5, it will probably look great and has the same specs. So why is it low cost?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:52 PM   #122
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
If they give you one, who cares? The moaning about the cable is honestly one of the dumbest reasons to complain about the iPhone I've heard....

And now you know, given they just created a new (more durable I might add) cable/connector, that the cable they provide will work for the next decade +.
I see you didn't get your daily dose of irony...
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:52 PM   #123
InuNacho
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrhwkp3 View Post
This is completely anti apple. A cheaper version of a product to attract the budget people. That's not what they do. They innovate and create an awesome product that makes the low budget people pinch pennies to afford it. And they always do!
Mac Minis, Mac Classics, LC series, Performa series, iBooks, Macbooks.
InuNacho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:54 PM   #124
rumz
macrumors regular

If Apple can make money on a $299 5th gen iPod Touch... certainly they can make a similar spec device with phone components, sell it for a good deal less than $650, and still be making a tidy margin on the device. There's no need for it to be "world's thinnest", "fastest" or "best camera" or anything else. It can still be a luxury / up to Apple's quality standards-- just not the flagship model.
rumz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:57 PM   #125
I WAS the one
macrumors 6502a

WTF???? SERIOUSLY??? FOR REAL????

Why?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuNacho View Post
Mac Minis, Mac Classics, LC series, Performa series, iBooks, Macbooks.
Mac Classics, LC Series, Performa series... (Macs that Steve Jobs himself throw on a trash can when he returned to Apple)

iBooks, MacBooks (ARENT CHEAP)

U R Totally wrong

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion