Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freezorro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
It pisses me off so much... I want to have push notifications, but not while studying, because it takes away my attention. I want to see my texts and phone calls though. "Do not disturb" option does not deactivate push notification. I don't have any OFF button in Settings->Notifications.

I have iPhone 4, iOS 6, no jailbreak.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
It would be nice to be able to disable all notifications easily.

As a workaround for now, for your situation the easiest thing to do might be to turn off mobile data and wifi, that should stop nearly all notifications (you may have some local scheduled notifications) whilst allowing calls and texts to come in.

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
What I usually do is put the phone on silent, and make sure the phone is set to not vibrate when on silent. This way the phone does not disturb me at all.

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
"Do not disturb"...

That's what it's there for, I think...

I was just about to say that...do not disturb just doesn't disable notifications, (you still receive them) but it doesn't alert you of them. (Ie, someone texts you, you phone doesn't vibrate, ring, or light up, but when you turn it on the text is waiting on the lock screen)

jutte64

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Fort Recovery , OH
Just use Do Not Disturb, and have it set so people on your favorites list can call through. If someone that's not on there oh well, that's what voice mail is for. Then while studying you can periodically hit your home button and see if you have any notifications waiting for you. Problem solved, you wont be distracted and you wont miss any notification.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
It pisses me off so much... I want to have push notifications, but not while studying, because it takes away my attention. I want to see my texts and phone calls though. "Do not disturb" option does not deactivate push notification. I don't have any OFF button in Settings->Notifications.

I have iPhone 4, iOS 6, no jailbreak.

DND disables audible alerts for everything but calls from your specified contacts.
It mutes emails, calendar alerts, SMS/iMessage and other apps.

The notifications still come in but they do not make noise or vibrate (as in Do Not Disturb).

It does not have an option to allow calls AND texts, however.

Freezorro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Thank you all for the responses!

Mute the phone and put it face down.
This doesn't help at all since iPhone will be vibrating anyway. To turn off vibrations will be totally way around since you have only 2 options with the switch on the left side, TURN ON and OFF.

@snappyfool - Thanks! That's a good idea. However it would be nice if I could do it quicker :(

@SuperSnake2012 - I would have to do that everyday, 3-5 times switching this option back and forth. Plus, I won't see I got a text or I wouldn't be informed with iCal alarm.

@Sweeperdk - I have no idea what this option does... There is no way to set it up but the schedule. This option is useless.

@maxosx - BIG LOL! hahaha. So funny.

I will go with DND option for now. I don't want vibrations because it pisses off people in a library. But I don't want to go back and forth to the settings to switch it.

I should write it more clearly, but my main problem is vibrations, which I want to have on, but now while studying.

If you know about any app for that problem, I would appreciate.

Thanks

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thank you all for the responses!

This doesn't help at all since iPhone will be vibrating anyway. To turn off vibrations will be totally way around since you have only 2 options with the switch on the left side, TURN ON and OFF.

@snappyfool - Thanks! That's a good idea. However it would be nice if I could do it quicker :(

@SuperSnake2012 - I would have to do that everyday, 3-5 times switching this option back and forth. Plus, I won't see I got a text or I wouldn't be informed with iCal alarm.

@Sweeperdk - I have no idea what this option does... There is no way to set it up but the schedule. This option is useless.

@maxosx - BIG LOL! hahaha. So funny.

I will go with DND option for now. I don't want vibrations because it pisses off people in a library. But I don't want to go back and forth to the settings to switch it.

I should write it more clearly, but my main problem is vibrations, which I want to have on, but now while studying.

If you know about any app for that problem, I would appreciate.

Thanks

Under Settings, Sounds, you can switch vibrate on/off for calls/texts.

Would that help your situation?

Freezorro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Under Settings, Sounds, you can switch vibrate on/off for calls/texts.

Would that help your situation?

Unfortunately not, since I would have to switch that 3-5 times a day... which means, going to Settings and playing with it 6-10 times a day. In a long term it would be annoying.

Thanks anyway

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Unfortunately not, since I would have to switch that 3-5 times a day... which means, going to Settings and playing with it 6-10 times a day. In a long term it would be annoying.

Thanks anyway

why 3-5 or 6-10 times per day? I'm guessing you're in school? Turn it off in school and back on when done? I feel like you're making this harder for yourself then you need to.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
why 3-5 or 6-10 times per day? I'm guessing you're in school? Turn it off in school and back on when done? I feel like you're making this harder for yourself then you need to.

College, I'm guessing... where classes are rarely back to back and he'd want his phone functioning as a phone when not in class or studying.

Sadly, this is another one of those features that's been requested since day one, but never happened. Crazy that nearly every cell phone I've ever owned (outside of the iPhone) allows customizable sound profiles.

Freezorro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012

I was doing it the way you mentioned and many other ways. It is a way around. I am looking for permanent and simple solution.

It is a big problem for me to switching it back and forth, don't ask why, it just is.

I am looking for an app which would help me to set up, or at least turn it off and on.

I like simple. The way you mentioned, in my case, is not simple. Again, it is only in my case. Very subjective topic, of what is simple/annoying/etc. If for you it wouldn't be a problem, I understand. Everybody has different life style, habits, routines, motivations, believes, and so on...

Again - switching options in the Settings menu is not a solution here.
If anybody would have any idea, know app, or any helpful clue, I would greatly appreciate.

----------

College, I'm guessing... where classes are rarely back to back and he'd want his phone functioning as a phone when not in class or studying.

Sadly, this is another one of those features that's been requested since day one, but never happened. Crazy that nearly every cell phone I've ever owned (outside of the iPhone) allows customizable sound profiles.

Exactly! I was looking for any app to help deal with it, but no success.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I was doing it the way you mentioned and many other ways. It is a way around. I am looking for permanent and simple solution.

It is a big problem for me to switching it back and forth, don't ask why, it just is.

I am looking for an app which would help me to set up, or at least turn it off and on.

I like simple. The way you mentioned, in my case, is not simple. Again, it is only in my case. Very subjective topic, of what is simple/annoying/etc. If for you it wouldn't be a problem, I understand. Everybody has different life style, habits, routines, motivations, believes, and so on...

Again - switching options in the Settings menu is not a solution here.
If anybody would have any idea, know app, or any helpful clue, I would greatly appreciate.

----------

Exactly! I was looking for any app to help deal with it, but no success.

Hey man not being rude, I definitely understand where you're coming from. Just finished college myself, but didn't find it too terribly inconvenient. What I did was have my phone set to vibrate on ring, but not vibrate on silent. That way, I would mute my phone while in class and check my phone every once in a while without it making a peep. Once out of class, just flip silent off and be good to go.

As far as I know, there is no app to do what you want.

Freezorro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Hey man not being rude, I definitely understand where you're coming from. Just finished college myself, but didn't find it too terribly inconvenient. What I did was have my phone set to vibrate on ring, but not vibrate on silent. That way, I would mute my phone while in class and check my phone every once in a while without it making a peep. Once out of class, just flip silent off and be good to go.

As far as I know, there is no app to do what you want.

I do not find any rudeness in your post. But, iPhone offers only 2 options 1 time, and it is: 1) ring+vibrate; 2) ring+mute; 3) vibrate+mute.

What I need is, ring+vibrate+mute, and I have to switch between them all the time. I am not writing about classes, because during my class I can just turn the Airplane Mode.

So not being rude, but your advices don't apply to the question. Thank you anyway for your time and help.

On the other hand this is very weird there is no app which would able you to create profiles.

BTW. This options are not useful only for school.
When I am at work, I want to have only vibrations, but I don't want notifications, because I am not able to check it anyway.
The same with my internship.
And in class, I would want to have my phone "online," but I don't want to have vibrations.
After class, I would want to have everything, just regular phones and msgs with sound.
But when I am at the movies, I don't want to turn on Airplane mode, just muted completely.

Sooooo. There are many different situations during the day. And there is no F way to do that. Is there any reason apple cannot do that?

It is hard to believe there is no app like that. Seems to be like not only I want these options.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple can do it, along with at least a few (and actually more than a few) basic missing things that really should be there (like missed call reminders, for example). Will they do it, or when they might do it, or even how they might end up implementing it, that's the biggest question (well, multiple questions). Hard to really hold out and even just hope for that though.

Probably the best thing they can do is enhance how the newly introduced Do Not Disturb works and make it work even when the phone isn't locked (if the user chooses that), and also add features to it as far as allowing message alerts to come through (similar to calls from certain contacts), since messaging is pretty much just as important and widely used (if not even more so) as actual voice calling.

In terms of apps that would or could do something like that, if Apple themselves don't do it, it's really not going to be done in a regular app since it requires system access to various basic functionalities on the phone, which Apple restricts. That said, if you have a jailbroken phone, there's likely something out there that would at least help with this, if not essentially fully address it.

The interesting thing is that, if I recall correctly, a couple of iOS versions ago, I believe there actually was a feature to disable all notifications in one setting (although I think it did that for calls and basically everything). For some reason it got removed.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
On this same topic, I find Apple's ads for the iPad extra humorous as they often show people using iPads for business or educational purposes.

I know I'd never even consider using one for either purpose as there's no way to turn off calls, texts, or notifications without going to Airplane mode if the screen is on... and, with internet access being required for so many things, Airplane mode isn't often a solution.

Sound profiles and multiple users are absolutely needed in iOS.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
On this same topic, I find Apple's ads for the iPad extra humorous as they often show people using iPads for business or educational purposes.

I know I'd never even consider using one for either purpose as there's no way to turn off calls, texts, or notifications without going to Airplane mode if the screen is on... and, with internet access being required for so many things, Airplane mode isn't often a solution.

Sound profiles and multiple users are absolutely needed in iOS.
Slightly off-topic, but, in case of the iPad there are really no calls involved, and often enough no messaging either, unless you go through and enable and setup iMessage for some particular reason. Notifications from other apps can similarly be enabled/disabled as needed when those apps are launched the first time or later from the notifications settings.

As for airplane mode, you can still enable WiFi with airplane mode being active (which would still allow for push notifications to come through, depending on which ones have been enabled).

Plenty of businesses and schools use the iPad these days--usually ones that are specifically for those businesses/schools--often even with their own internal applications (and often with particular profiles/certificates set up to disable apps/features that wouldn't be needed in that environment, so there's usually no unwanted apps/notifications/etc.).

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Slightly off-topic, but, in case of the iPad there are really no calls involved, and often enough no messaging either, unless you go through and enable and setup iMessage for some particular reason. Notifications from other apps can similarly be enabled/disabled as needed when those apps are launched the first time or later from the notifications settings.

As for airplane mode, you can still enable WiFi with airplane mode being active (which would still allow for push notifications to come through, depending on which ones have been enabled).

Plenty of businesses and schools use the iPad these days--usually ones that are specifically for those businesses/schools--often even with their own internal applications (and often with particular profiles/certificates set up to disable apps/features that wouldn't be needed in that environment, so there's usually no unwanted apps/notifications/etc.).

Yes, it works fine when the iPad is purchased specifically for that one purpose, but that's hardly what they show in the ads.

On a personal device, even without phone calls, (at the very least) many still receive texts via iMessage and email. Two things that, as soon as you activate WiFi, will come through.

The only workaround is to go through the Notification settings for each app individually every time... just as the OP has to do to get what they are requesting.

A simple 'Block all notifications' option would solve many of the issues, but customizable profiles would make it much easier. Add Wifi, Bluetooth, and various other commonly changed settings to the profiles and it would please virtually everyone.

As I said, nearly every cell phone I've ever owned (outside of the iPhone) has had customizable sound profiles... 'Inside, Driving, Outside, Meeting, Silent.'

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
You can just turn off the phone while studying. Texts will still arrive after you switch it back on and voice mail takes care of any disruptive callers.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can just turn off the phone while studying. Texts will still arrive after you switch it back on and voice mail takes care of any disruptive callers.
Doesn't quite allow for calls and texts to come through, which is what is desired by the original poster (as far as I can tell). At last Do Not Disturb comes a little closer to this by allowing (particular) calls to come through (although doesn't deal with texts).

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Doesn't quite allow for calls and texts to come through, which is what is desired by the original poster (as far as I can tell). At last Do Not Disturb comes a little closer to this by allowing (particular) calls to come through (although doesn't deal with texts).
When your phone is turned off, texts still come trough after you switch it back on and if people are not smart enough to leave a quick message on voice mail, they should just not call you in the first place, or just try again later if it's that important.

Sometimes, it's quite healthy not to be reachable for a while. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.