Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morzillon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Miami
Hello, I'm not sure if A) this topic has been posted before and B) haven't been on here for some time....*coughyearscough*...and C) don't know if this is the right board (Mac mini) to be posting this.

My question/dilemma is the following, I have just been given an old Xbox ( I know...old a** *******, why bother) and currently I have connected it [Xbox] to my wireless router so that I may transfer "files" onto it.

I can see the Xbox on the mini but as I try to connect mini tells me that I can't due to IP addy number, I have tried to input as many IP numbers as I could find and yet no bananas.

I know I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure it out and recently I have discovered a "bald" spot on my head from all the scratching trying to figure this thing out.

I've attached a picture of what I am posting if it helps solve this issue.

I appreciate all the help and the hate mail too.....expect sarcasm on the hate mail though.

THANKS!!!

Attachments

• Fullscreen.jpg
    Fullscreen.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 173

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Are you trying to put files from your Mini onto your XBOX? I'm about 90% certain that's not possible without a hacked XBOX (if you're one of the types that likes to r00t and linux everything with a CPU).

The only networking between a Mac (of any type) and an XBOX (I'm assuming you mean 360), is to stream media. In this case, you'll want a compliant streamer, such as Twonky Media server, to stream from the Mac to the 360.

I'm trying to understand what files you'd want from a Mac on a 360 anyway. It's a horrible "external drive," and it's not like you can open Word docs and start editing with your 360's controller. :D :cool:

Adz76

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Dagobah System
Xbox

I'm not 100% certain that you can do that, I know that the PS3 will copy a wide range of photo and video formats to the HD.

The Xbox would never accept video when I tried to copy over, I've not tried pics so it might work but its much trickier the way you are trying to do it.

The way to check this is to format either a flash drive or small external usb HD in FAT32 and copy the files to that. Plug that into the Xbox and then when you select photos, you should be able to select the external storage you connected and at worst be able to view them from the external source.

You may be able to copy these over to the internal HD but I'd be sceptical as the Xbox always seemed to have that feature disabled.

Let us know how you get on!

Adz76

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Dagobah System
Not possible

Just an update I was curious so I've just checked and the first thing I've found is that the Xbox doesn't seem to recognise any storage over 32Gbs now in size, using a flash drive I can browse all photos but there no option to copy over to the internal, could be an option buried somewhere but at least you can view from the box as long as the storage is connected.

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
I'm not 100% certain that you can do that...<SNIP...connected and at worst be able to view them from the external source.

You may be able to copy these over to the internal HD but I'd be sceptical as the Xbox always seemed to have that feature disabled.

Let us know how you get on!

Right. I remember people even hacking the external hard drives, swapping in another drive, and it still wouldn't read the files. External USBs were a no go as well. They put some sort of proprietary hook so that only XBL content and M$ harddrives worked on the console.

Morzillon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Miami
Thanks guys! It's the original XBOX & yes I do believe it's a hacked one, cuz it has certain games, photos, and couple of films....including "The Cat Returns" from Hiroyuki Morita.

And from what you two have posted it looks like I'll have to ultimately buy a DVD burner :( bummer.

*whispers*"dam you Bill...."

pil0tflame

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2011
London, Ontario
Many modded original Xbox's support file transfer only through FTP. Figure out which hacked firmware your Xbox is running. It may be displayed during the boot process or somewhere in the system menus, but will likely have a weird name like Evolution or UnleashX. From there, Google will be your best friend. :D

I'd tell you the details myself, but I'm not familiar. I soft-modded my original Xbox over 5 years ago so I could use it with XBMC player over a wired network and haven't tinkered with it since. I figured it all out at the time using Google.

Morzillon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Miami
Many modded original Xbox's support file transfer only through FTP. Figure out which hacked firmware your Xbox is running. It may be displayed during the boot process or somewhere in the system menus, but will likely have a weird name like Evolution or UnleashX. From there, Google will be your best friend. :D

I'd tell you the details myself, but I'm not familiar. I soft-modded my original Xbox over 5 years ago so I could use it with XBMC player over a wired network and haven't tinkered with it since. I figured it all out at the time using Google.

Thanks I will, well Google might end up being my b*tch after this :D

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Figure out which hacked firmware your Xbox is running. It may be displayed during the boot process or somewhere in the system menus, but will likely have a weird name like Evolution or UnleashX.

Evolution-X and UnleashX are not hacked firmware for the Xbox, they are replacement dashboards. Replacement dashboards and firmware are two different things entirely.

pil0tflame

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2011
London, Ontario
Evolution-X and UnleashX are not hacked firmware for the Xbox, they are replacement dashboards. Replacement dashboards and firmware are two different things entirely.

I stand corrected. Thanks for clarifying. :)

As I said, it's been over 5 years since tinkering with my Xbox, so I'm a bit foggy on the specifics. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.