macrumors 68020

New Macworld Review of Borderlands 2

http://www.maclife.com/article/featu...cks_gaming_rig

Thoughts?
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:52 PM   #2
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Great, non-biased article. He basically showed that if you hold gaming as a priority, skip right to the point and max out your 27", except the RAM. RAM can always be bought for dimes on the dollar elsewhere (shameful, Apple).

And in closing, he states what we all know: If money means absoulutely anything to you, get a Windows box for gaming.

Personally, I gave up gaming on computers altogether, and learned to love my XBox. As compared to PC/Mac gaming: console cost 90% less, games (pre-owned) cost 20-70% less, and most importantly, on PC/Mac, I spent about 80% of my time with a game fiddling with options to get it to run better. On the XBox, I spend 100% of my time with a game enjoying it.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:55 PM   #3
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacFarlane View Post
Great, non-biased article. He basically showed that if you hold gaming as a priority, skip right to the point and max out your 27", except the RAM. RAM can always be bought for dimes on the dollar elsewhere (shameful, Apple).

And in closing, he states what we all know: If money means absoulutely anything to you, get a Windows box for gaming.

Personally, I gave up gaming on computers altogether, and learned to love my XBox. As compared to PC/Mac gaming: console cost 90% less, games (pre-owned) cost 20-70% less, and most importantly, on PC/Mac, I spent about 80% of my time with a game fiddling with options to get it to run better. On the XBox, I spend 100% of my time with a game enjoying it.
How does World of Warcraft run on your XBox ?
Plutonius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:19 AM   #4
TheGreatWumpus
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to TheGreatWumpus Send a message via Yahoo to TheGreatWumpus Send a message via Skype™ to TheGreatWumpus
I've wanted one of these the moment they were announced. I have all the games on the list, and they run great on my higher end 2010 iMac, but I definitely can't super max everything, especially The Witcher 2.

Also @ console man. Enjoying your medium range graphics and awesome low rez gaming? :P How about the complete lack of any good RTS games and some notable RPG's such as Diablo, Torchlight, Witcher. (thought witchier 2 made it xbox, PC/Mac is still the better version.)

To each their own, but PC/Mac will always have the best experience in terms of graphics, options, mods and multiplayer so long as you have the requisite hardware. I never have to fiddle with stuff, and I do understand the "It just works" mode of consoles.

Last edited by TheGreatWumpus; Jan 29, 2013 at 12:26 AM.
TheGreatWumpus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:35 AM   #5
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
How does World of Warcraft run on your XBox ?
Better than Diablo III does.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacFarlane View Post

I think my primary draw to PC Gaming are the MMOs out there. Yes, some of those are coming to Mac, but as I understand it with mixed results. And I do enjoy my 360.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Blaquespell
macrumors newbie

To be fair, Torchlight (1) is on the Xbox and I find it to be better than the desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatWumpus View Post
I've wanted one of these the moment they were announced. I have all the games on the list, and they run great on my higher end 2010 iMac, but I definitely can't super max everything, especially The Witcher 2.

Also @ console man. Enjoying your medium range graphics and awesome low rez gaming? :P How about the complete lack of any good RTS games and some notable RPG's such as Diablo, Torchlight, Witcher. (thought witchier 2 made it xbox, PC/Mac is still the better version.)

To each their own, but PC/Mac will always have the best experience in terms of graphics, options, mods and multiplayer so long as you have the requisite hardware. I never have to fiddle with stuff, and I do understand the "It just works" mode of consoles.
Blaquespell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:48 PM   #8
TheGreatWumpus
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to TheGreatWumpus Send a message via Yahoo to TheGreatWumpus Send a message via Skype™ to TheGreatWumpus
Oh interesting, I never knew they did an xbox version of Torchlight.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:30 PM   #9
Gizmo22
macrumors regular

I'd like to see a Torchlight compatible with an old joystick, 6 button panel similar to the Dark Gauntlet games. MAME heaven.

With respect to Borderlands 2, while bordering on the thin line of trolling, I would say no one should care. Personally, found it considerably less entertaining than the first Borderlands. Chalk it up to "growing up" perhaps, but I played, replayed, and replayed again [the first Borderlands].

The second I quit after probably 2 hours.

Last edited by Gizmo22; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
Gizmo22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games