Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:50 PM   #26
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese (Trying hard to get this thread ****-canned.) View Post

You said, "do-do"!!!
You think this thread needs to be put down?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:57 PM   #27
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
This and my grandmother, yes.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:59 PM   #28
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Oh the irony.

And euthanasia is a transitive verb I think. There is only one way to spell it.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:02 PM   #29
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
This and my grandmother, yes.
Why is that?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:04 PM   #30
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Oh the irony.

And euthanasia is a transitive verb I think. There is only one way to spell it.
Euthanasia is a noun.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:17 PM   #31
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Euthanasia is a noun.
But a transitive noun, at least. Right?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:25 PM   #32
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Why is that?
She's old and I can use the money.
Mac'nCheese is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:29 PM   #33
Peace
macrumors P6

Ok I'm wrong. However the act of euthanasia is still euthanasia .

[edit]

nevermind. I'll shut up and you guys can euthanize me.

[/edit]

Last edited by Peace; Jan 28, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:31 PM   #34
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
She's old and I can use the money.
Did that really just happen?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:40 PM   #35
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Did that really just happen?
****'s getting real, son.
Mac'nCheese is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:47 PM   #36
eric/

Interesting thread to break up the monotony.

I think euthanasia is not wrong, so long as the person asking is deemed mentally competent by the most rigorous standards.

It's your life.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:49 PM   #37
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Generally opposed, but there are exceptions.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:00 AM   #38
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Humans get cancer. We suffer. Do you see doctors putting humans down? Why is this? Is it because we have more potential? More connections? More technology or medicine to treat patients? We're just another mammal, although, more advanced.
It's the Hippocratic oath. Doctors are sworn to keep another person alive no matter what, there's nothing like that in terms of animal medicine. There are other legal and medical reasons why humans are not to be "put down" as you put it, but on a personal note I think it's up to the person suffering whether they want to keep being treated for a medical condition that'll never improve.
Andeavor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:34 AM   #39
eawmp1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroony View Post
It's the Hippocratic oath. Doctors are sworn to keep another person alive no matter what, there's nothing like that in terms of animal medicine. There are other legal and medical reasons why humans are not to be "put down" as you put it, but on a personal note I think it's up to the person suffering whether they want to keep being treated for a medical condition that'll never improve.
Wrong.

Most, at least in the US, don't swear to the original Hippocratic Oath, but rather the Declaration of Geneva, a heavily modified version preserving most of the original intent. "the health of my patient shall be my first consideration." This allows more broad interpretation. We've moved pat the concept o deth as the enemy to be battled at all costs. It is the natural conclusion of life. For most modern providers quality of life is more important than quantity. Now one can have a philosophical argument about whether actually dealing the inevitability of death is morally superior to hastening the arrival of death to allieve suffering, but some comfort measures (e.g. morphine for pain control, which can suppress respiratory drive) can hasten death.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:04 AM   #40
Dagless
macrumors Core

We choose to euthanise pets/animals because they can't decide themselves.

Isn't that the same as switching a machine off for a patient who can't respond back? The family, much like the owners of the pet, decide.

Is it wrong? I don't think so. So long that people are trying to get euthanised for all sorts of combatable issues like depression.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:41 AM   #41
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

No it's not wrong it gives you a means of ending your life with some dignity, I for one have discussed this with my own family.

Euthanasia is legal in the Netherlands since 2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthana...he_Netherlands

Euthanasia was applied before this date but it was a legal minefield.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:59 AM   #42
VulchR
macrumors 68000

I've seen both my parents suffer degenerative diseases before they died (cancer, multi-infarct dementia), and there's no way I would want that for myself. The moment I cannot take care of myself properly, I'm done.

While I am sure about what I want, I would hate to make the decision for another person. As my father inexorably slipped into pain, humiliation and disability, he repeatedly and forcefully expressed the desire to die. When the doctors told us that he had only days to live, we decided to tell my father that his time was coming. The look in his eyes has haunted me ever since: he did not want to go (he died a few days later). I thought he would be relieved, knowing he would soon be free of all his suffering, but he wasn't. My point is that the person has to be able to say they want to die. People change their minds, what seems intolerable one day is tolerable the next, etc. I'd be hesitant to argue for euthanizing somebody who could not speak clearly about their own wishes.

FWIW the illegal status of euthanasia in the US impacts on life insurance, which does not pay out in cases of murder or suicide. Therefore insurance companies do not pay off in cases of euthanasia. In hospitals patients in palliative care tend to die at the end of the night shift, and it isn't difficult to imagine why. My mother died in a hospital at 5AM, and the life insurance company delayed paying us for a year because they argued she had been euthanized by the medical staff. In the end we had to threaten to sue (and call our friends at the Washington Post).... I was an undergraduate at the time, and suffice it to say the financial problems our family had nearly forced me out of college before the @$@&!@&$&@'s at the insurance company paid out. I hope they burn in hell. I truly do.

Last edited by VulchR; Jan 29, 2013 at 07:09 AM.
VulchR is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:30 AM   #43
Huntn
macrumors 604

Regarding human beings, I support medically assisted suicide if it is requested and if the person is cognizant and considered sound to make the decision based on the relief of pain and no realistic hope for recovery is left.

Last edited by Huntn; Jan 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:13 AM   #44
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Yes. It is wrong.

Euthanasia

Euthanasia (from the Greek: εὐθανασία meaning "good death": εὖ, eu (well or good) + θάνατος, thanatos (death)) refers to the practice of intentionally ending a life in order to relieve pain and suffering.
Best post I've seen in a while! Thank you for posting exactly what I was thinking!

I think anyone who opposed or opposes universal healthcare should be euthanasiasiated. (Mispelled on purpose, for effect).
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:39 PM   #45
MOFS
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
We choose to euthanise pets/animals because they can't decide themselves.

Isn't that the same as switching a machine off for a patient who can't respond back? The family, much like the owners of the pet, decide.

Is it wrong? I don't think so. So long that people are trying to get euthanised for all sorts of combatable issues like depression.
Switching off life support is difference in the sense that it is stopping a treatment that is artificially keeping someone alive ie you are letting "nature" take its course. It is therefore similar to palliative care as you are stopping active treatment. Euthanasia is the deliberate act of prematurely ending someone's life for medical reasons (eg degenerative disease such as dementia, Huntington's chorea). I think many people would agree with switching off life support, but not necessarily euthanasia. As I see the terrible effects of dementia every day, I'm in favour, but on my terms.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:51 PM   #46
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFS View Post
Switching off life support is difference in the sense that it is stopping a treatment that is artificially keeping someone alive ie you are letting "nature" take its course. It is therefore similar to palliative care as you are stopping active treatment. Euthanasia is the deliberate act of prematurely ending someone's life for medical reasons (eg degenerative disease such as dementia, Huntington's chorea). I think many people would agree with switching off life support, but not necessarily euthanasia. As I see the terrible effects of dementia every day, I'm in favour, but on my terms.
Life support is essentially Euthanization. As you said, nature should take its course.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:17 AM   #47
eawmp1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Life support is essentially Euthanization. As you said, nature should take its course.
Life support is the external provision of some essential organ/life function that if withdrawn the patient would die. Life support delays the inevitability of death or supports the body until it can recover and function on its own.

Your statement demonstrates your lack of understanding of the subject.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:56 AM   #48
RSL
macrumors regular

It's wrong to kill.

A doctor's job is keep people alive.

Of course, it's cheaper to let patients in pain until they can't stand it anymore and then euthanize them.
RSL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:56 AM   #49
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmp1 View Post
Life support is the external provision of some essential organ/life function that if withdrawn the patient would die. Life support delays the inevitability of death or supports the body until it can recover and function on its own.

Your statement demonstrates your lack of understanding of the subject.
When one is on life support, 9 time out of ten, they are unconscious. Just a way to say bye before they die. It's difficult to recover after all your organs shut down.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:46 AM   #50
eawmp1
macrumors 601

Quote:
When one is on life support, 9 time out of ten, they are unconscious. Just a way to say bye before they die. It's difficult to recover after all your organs shut down.
You have no idea what life support is either. Just what is your medical education and/or experience with life supportive measures or end of life care?

Last edited by eawmp1; Feb 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: spelling

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues