Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:51 AM   #51
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Someone gets into a car accident, a bad one. They don't have the money for medical bills.
Patient: "I have no money to afford this" [after treated]
Doctor: "You can either pay up or we'll put you down."
^ does this happen? No. Does it happen with other animals? More than likely, yes.
Do you think it's wrong?
How is this any different than our current for-profit healthcare system that denies people coverage for treatments all the time?
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:08 AM   #52
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Yes. It is wrong.

Euthanasia

Euthanasia (from the Greek: εὐθανασία meaning "good death": εὖ, eu (well or good) + θάνατος, thanatos (death)) refers to the practice of intentionally ending a life in order to relieve pain and suffering.
All I want to know is where you type in a soft breathing...
skunk is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:46 AM   #53
zin
macrumors 6502

I don't think that it's wrong, provided the person making the decision is in a stable state of mind.

In addition, I think that this should be taken further. I think that anybody who wishes to depart early should be allowed to do so, for any reason, even for no reason at all, provided they are in a stable state of mind and not influenced by an illness such as depression.

You had no choice in being brought into this world, so why should the choice of leaving it painlessly and quickly be taken from you?

Also, on a similar point to the OP, humans aren't "put down" to ease suffering because in many places it is illegal. It's not legal in the US (even though the US healthcare system effectively forces it onto people because of lack of funds, in some cases), most of Europe, or Asian countries. However, on a similar line of thought, patients have the right to refuse treatment, even if it is life-saving (I know, for instance, in the UK if you have cancer you can refuse treatment and instead request for everything to be done about pain, effectively deciding to "put yourself down", albeit unconventionally, but even this can't be truly painless).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
I doubt that any human is "put down" because they can't pay medical bills. I'm pretty sure that would be illegal.
For the uninsured in the US, I'm pretty sure that if the injury or illness doesn't kill you, the resulting bankruptcy will.
zin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues