Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toroncan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Can anyone who's loaded iOS 6.1 on an i4 please comment on performance, especially as compared to iOS5?

If you can specifically comment on the following actions thatd be great:

- lag from pressing home button to screen on
- lag from swipe to unlock to password entry
- lag from password entry to phone usable on homescreen
- lag from homescreen to Mail.app open and usable
- lag from homescreen to Camera.app open and able to take photos

TIA!

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Ios 6.1 has made my i5 slightly faster and more consistent now so id say go for it, theres no reason why you should be on older software. Google Maps has been out on iOS 6 for a while and it got turn by turn navigation too for iPhone 4.

Last edited:

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
On my Verizon iPhone 4...

Didn't really notice any significant changes. Opening camera app is still slow as hell.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Ios 6.1 has made my i5 slightly faster and more consistent now so id say go for it, theres no reason why you should be on older software. Google Maps has been out on iOS 6 for a while and it got turn by turn navigation too for iPhone 4.

It may be but it's always felt laggy on my 4, on friends 5's google maps has felt smooth as butter!

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
Can anyone who's loaded iOS 6.1 on an i4 please comment on performance, especially as compared to iOS5?

If you can specifically comment on the following actions thatd be great:

- lag from pressing home button to screen on
- lag from swipe to unlock to password entry
- lag from password entry to phone usable on homescreen
- lag from homescreen to Mail.app open and usable
- lag from homescreen to Camera.app open and able to take photos

TIA!

They are all about the same maybe a bit faster compared to ios6. I don't really remember how the performance was on 5 so I can't compare. Camera.app is still slow. Mail.app is pretty fast (but I don't think it was ever slow?).

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
Sorry. Topic aside. I can't help to noticed that your sig stated you owned 4 iPhones, 1 camera and 2 cars and it seems like that is all. No house, no TV? :D

i didnt own, i own
1 pad, 3 iphones, 1 camera, 2 cars, no house, no tv

----------

and no life perhaps ? Well, we all have to do our priorities you know. :D

loads of life, can't think of anything worse than spending hours watching a tv when i could be outside

dallastigers

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
TX
Mine seems to be running well, but my diagnostic reporting keeps showing a lot of crashing by the KBD app or process.
I first did over the air and later did a full restore and update using iTunes (also from a backup once full 6.1 was applied). Still the same amount of crashes. Close to 30 reported crashes a day by the KBP app.

Triangle Man

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Seems pretty fast and stable for me. No complaints. 6.0.1 got a little laggy at time, but nothing major. 6.1 seems a tiny bit better in performance.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
My iPhone 4 felt slightly faster after upgrading from iOS 5 to iOS 6, but the move from 6.0.1 to 6.1 feels about the same.

Unfortunately iOS 6 doesn't offer much in terms of features, so there's no urgent need to upgrade. I found 6.0.1 to be rather buggy, particularly in Safari, so I can't tell you how smooth 6.1 is just yet. That's just my personal experience though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.