Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:04 AM   #1
RustyTank
macrumors newbie

Question MKV player capable with subs with (external / remote) plex server

I've been looking everywhere, but I don't seem to be able to find a sollution for my needs.

I have a mac mini (mid 2011) running in my living room with Plex Media server and client installed. I mostly play MKV files with subtitles embedded and sometimes external srt subtitle files. The Mac Mini is hooked up via HDMI with my TV and this works great! I can play all my files without problem.

Now I want to have a tv in my bedroom at the attic. I already have a 1gb ethernet cable running from the living room router, but I can't seem to find a (the best) sollution to play the MKV files with subtitles.

As far as I know plex will always transcode mkv files with subtitles and or DTS sound when the file is played on another device than were the Plex server is installed. Trancoding MKV files with subs and or DTS sound just doesn't seem possilbe.....

Currently I have nothing set up attic bedroom, so the sollutions I looked at are TV's on which I can install the Plex App, Roku players and other media players, but the problem is that Plex will always transcode and not direct play my files. I don't want to remux all my data (3tb) again to prevent this. I'm sure it should be possible to have player that directly accesses my data on the mac mini without transcoding, but I haven't found it yet.

Any suggestions that I can look at?

Last edited by RustyTank; Feb 27, 2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: typos..
RustyTank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:17 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

Handbrake has subs options and can transcode MKV files into pretty much anything you want...And it's free. You probably know this already, but VLC can play MKV files without requiring any further container change:

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/5758/vlc-media-player
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:25 AM   #3
RustyTank
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Handbrake has subs options and can transcode MKV files into pretty much anything you want...And it's free. You probably know this already, but VLC can play MKV files without requiring any further container change:
Thanks for the suggestion, but as stated in my post I don't want to remux my data again. To use VLC in the attic would mean I need a second computer there, while I think that cheaper sollutions should be possible (either apps on TV or network media players that don't transcode, but direct play)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:27 AM   #4
RustyTank
macrumors newbie

Nobody any other suggestions???
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:39 AM   #5
blanka
macrumors 65816

Put a Raspberry Pi (35$) with raspbmc on your bedroom TV to play the MKV's directly.
blanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:45 AM   #6
RustyTank
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanka View Post
Put a Raspberry Pi (35$) with raspbmc on your bedroom TV to play the MKV's directly.
Will this take the data from the Mini downstairs without transcoding?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:23 AM   #7
RustyTank
macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the RasberryPi or the Plex server transcodes the data or can I use this in the same ways as the plex client as if it was on the same machine?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater