Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:04 PM   #51
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekris1234 View Post
I'm not sure about anyone else, but with Apple, updating is just hassle free.

You get the message saying update is available, click update and just let your phone do the rest. Only once have I had a problem, but with iCloud I just got everything back to the way it was within half an hour.
Same happens on Android and Windows Phone, you get a notification that a system update is available, you tap it and update.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:04 PM   #52
Sellewiet
macrumors member

Yeah but they just gave it the same name, but not all features are supported on all devices, so that % is a bit skewed. With Android, if a device has JellyBean, it has all the features of JellyBean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ios6-chart5.png
Views:	97
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	393224  
Sellewiet is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:09 PM   #53
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori View Post
Mac journalism expired about the time MacUser magazine ceased printing and has steadily devolved into unabashed fanboism, embarrassing leg humping and school girl cheerleading. The dangerous thing is that Apple probably believes it all and has gone tone deaf to valid analysis and criticism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earendil View Post
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
That was quick.
Thank you for proving my point.
The check is in the mail.
Bubba Satori is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:14 PM   #54
DaveN
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellewiet View Post
Yeah but they just gave it the same name, but not all features are supported on all devices, so that % is a bit skewed. With Android, if a device has JellyBean, it has all the features of JellyBean.
Lets see... iPod touch doesn't have FaceTime over cellular because..... it doesn't have cellular chips perhaps? Granted, Apple seems to hold back features for unknown reasons (why no panorama function on the ipad mini) but most features carry over if thay can be supported by the hardware.
DaveN is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:20 PM   #55
thekris1234
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
Same happens on Android and Windows Phone, you get a notification that a system update is available, you tap it and update.
*Android - only once your provider says you can.
thekris1234 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:24 PM   #56
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekris1234 View Post
*Android - only once your provider says you can.
I have a Nexus. But still not my point, once an update becomes available you tap and install it. iOS isn't any different in that regard.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:24 PM   #57
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteve-O View Post
And now 300 million people are missing *punchline drum*
And they'll never miss it.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:29 PM   #58
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
We devs <3 iOS user's track record of staying up to date

I'd like it if springboard (the Homescreen) was a bit more... IDK, active... In iOS 7. IE, if the temperature icon updated on its own, and the ability to have widgets. But I'm sure you've all heard that before so I won't go into detail. If Apple adds those, I'll see absolutely no advantage to using Android or Windows or BB over iOS...
I've never understood this. I mean the calendar icon is updated with the current day so at some level the support is there.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:34 PM   #59
kcamfork
macrumors regular

Don't most people update because iOS will bug you until you do?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:48 PM   #60
TrentS
macrumors 6502

Huh??

I'ts the latest version. What the heck do they expect!?

TrentS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:50 PM   #61
Daalseth
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs862 View Post
I think Apple should start naming their ios releases similar to osx's big cat names.
Small cats: Siamese, Manx, Maine Coon, Calico, Tabby, etc..
Daalseth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:56 PM   #62
lifeinhd
macrumors 65816

Count me in the 40%. 2/3 of my iDevices are running iOS 5, my iPad since it's JB, and my 4th gen iPod Touch since it's slow enough as it is. Wish I'd kept iOS 4 on both. Part of the reason for these numbers may be the lack of downgradeability. You upgrade and don't like it? Too bad. You need to do a restore? You're stuck with the new, slower OS. Imagine if they pulled that **** on the Mac

Actually, people would complain and still buy them anyways
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:59 PM   #63
flipperfeet
macrumors regular

Game is unchanged for Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
Apparently you haven't used any version of Android in the last few years, not to mention 4.2 The keyboard in 4.2 is so much better than iOS it's ridiculous. Not to mention the "GUI" in 4.2 absolutely smokes iOS these days.

People who insist that iOS is still at the top of the heap do so out of ignorance. The game has changed people.
Actually, under Android I think the game has not so much changed as it has reverted to pre iOS rules. if you want the new feature set in Android, you have to replace your device. That is exactly how it worked with non-smart phones prior to 2007. It is how it works with any non-maintenance release of Android today.
flipperfeet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:59 PM   #64
seecoolguy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Not successful. iPad 1 was obsoleted in just 2 years.
I'm not complaining that I can install iOS6 on my iPhone4, but why not let me install it on my iPad1?
seecoolguy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:00 PM   #65
RMo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccompatible View Post
The App Store google maps app is so much better than the one built into iOS 5. I have an iPad on iOS 6 with much better google maps!
Umm, no you don't. Google Maps is still designed only for the iPhone screen, so it's a pretty frustrating experience using it on the iPad. Possible, of course, but very awkward at either 1x or 2x size. iOS 5 "Google" Maps or iOS 6 Apple Maps are both (excusing the latter's possible glitches) much more pleasant to use on the iPad.
RMo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:03 PM   #66
flux73
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitty11 View Post
The fact they keep track of the number as notifications and messages received/sent scares the s*** out of me.
And you think AT&T, Verizon, & Sprint don't? You don't think Google or Facebook tracks numbers of messages sent?

Keeping track of messages sent <> reading your messages.
flux73 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:03 PM   #67
Eric E. Schmidt
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
What scares the S*** out of me is Obama's executive order enabling him to shut down the internet with the snap of a finger. He could therefore prevent communication between people trying to overthrow him like was done in the Middle East last year.
i think you would find that obama switching off the internet would result in new government faster than any revolution to date.

there are agencies with licenses to kill you if they see fit. i find that much more disturbing.
Eric E. Schmidt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:06 PM   #68
NewAnger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Wow what a garbage update

Siri movie ticket purchases? Seriously?!

Lol
I haven't been to a movie theater since 1998 so yea, it's meaningless to me also.
NewAnger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:12 PM   #69
Azadre
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAnger View Post
I haven't been to a movie theater since 1998 so yea, it's meaningless to me also.
Really? I go to a few movies a year, and I'd love to be able to buy my tickets from my phone. Most of the theaters in my area do not support the feature through the Flixster app.
Azadre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:14 PM   #70
arbitter
macrumors regular

I'm still stuck with 4.2.1 on m 2nd gen iPod Touch, getting rather frustrating when downloading apps though. Nearly 50% of the apps give errors when trying to install: 'requires iOS 4.3', 'requires Open GL whatever', ... , and you can't see it before clicking the button. Ofcourse it's normal my hardware doesn't support it, nevertheless a notification before clicking the install button twice would be handy.
I still find, with this old device and old software, the browser and music player running so smooth for being more than three years old. I remember still seeing those cheapo Samsung 'smart'phones, requiring you to click each link twice before actually going there, and really having the slowest loading times I've ever seen. Ofcourse, that's very low-end and can't really be compared to a 'expensive' iPod touch.
arbitter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:16 PM   #71
Tiptizzle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
So when you update the Galaxy SII to Jellybean you get NFC?
Tiptizzle is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:20 PM   #72
Radio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAnger View Post
This doesn't bode well with me

Well hopefully we have a jailbreak
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:30 PM   #73
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs862 View Post
This write up sounds more like an advertisement. Or is it just me?
Then do not read it! Problem solved.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiptizzle View Post
So when you update the Galaxy SII to Jellybean you get NFC?
No, No, No! NFC v10.0!

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:38 PM   #74
samcraig
macrumors G5

I'm just curious why this devolves into yet another thread about iOS vs Android. I guess because the editor posted link/flamebait?

Silly nonsense. To each their own. I'd gather most people here aren't affected by not being on Jelly Bean. And those that do have newer Android devices either have it - or are fine at the moment with ICS.

But don't let me stop the cyber tar and feathering
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:44 PM   #75
Casiotone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
So what if some features are not supported on some iOS devices? At least they can run all the latest iOS 6 apps and that's what's count.

The real problem with fragmentation is the mess it causes to developers trying to reach the most users possible without having to create multiple versions.

How many versions of Android a developer will have to target if it wants to reach 300 millions potential customers? I bet it's a lot more and that it would have to cover versions all the way back to 2.2... This means in many cases, a lot more work and a lot more testing.
Casiotone is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion